Author Topic: WAP2 version- font size  (Read 5505 times)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
WAP2 version- font size
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:58:17 PM »
Steps to reproduce:

1) Find up to date iOS device
2) Go to the WAP version of the forum: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?wap2
3) Navigate around

The font size, or the zoom factor, keeps changing. I can literally refresh the same page 3 times and get 3 different font sizes.

This is makes my time on the throne at work vastly less enjoyable.

Please advise.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: WAP2 version- font size
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:13:20 AM »
What browser?

I can't reproduce on Android (yes, not iOS, but seeing if bug is server side) using Chrome.

Are you using Chrome?  Safari?

Can anyone else reproduce?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:44:19 AM »
Same problem on both Safari and Chrome. I thought it might be the web proxy at work, but it's the same at home.

I tried with and without the adblocker (1blocker from the App Store) too.

Can't reproduce on Android, but my version of Android is like 4 years old.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »
Can't reproduce on my wife's iPhone 4S, but it's running an older version of iOS.

Will wait to get more data.

Weird bug though. You sit there refreshing and the font keeps changing size? 

Possibly an OS problem, IDK why the website would have a variable font it serves randomly.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »
Yeah it's super weird. I observed this on an iPhone 6S and an iPad mini 3rd gen, both with the latest iOS version.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
It's probably a new bug "feature" with iOS related to user zoom - which effectively breaks how web browsers are supposed to actually behave by ignoring font specifications and resizing text to an "optimal" size for the screen on the browser.

The fact that it's doing it with Chrome as well makes perfect sense as Apple basically doesn't allow any actual other web browser engines. It's all Safari using the same rendering engine with different UIs.

WAP specifically does not specify font sizes as it is assumed that the phone will optimize the WAP page text to the most appropriate font size on the device itself (note the CSS), so it clearly isn't a server side problem. This happens because iOS is too stupid to consistently render HTML without having explicit instructions, and even can't consistently render HTML when it does due to its desire to "optimize" the page for viewing on a tiny screen.

A solution to your problem is probably to either disable the zoom feature or hack together a javascript bookmarklet using info from the following two pages:

https://marcos.kirsch.mx/2012/04/29/font-size-bookmarklets/
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201012/controlling_text_size_in_safari_for_ios_without_disabling_user_zoom/

My apologies though, I'm too lazy/indifferent to make the code changes to the bookmarklet for specifying a fixed font size for you. :)

You could also try filing a bug report, but don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:17:42 AM by I.P. Daley »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:39:41 PM »
Harumph. Thanks for the pointers, Daley. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to proxy every request and inject my own CSS, so I don't have to repeatedly hit bookmarklets. The quotes on the default WAP2 interface could use some improvement too. That could be my next weekend project. Maybe I will compete with Tapatalk and make millions of dollars by injecting GEICO ads.

Muahaha.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
Harumph. Thanks for the pointers, Daley. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to proxy every request and inject my own CSS, so I don't have to repeatedly hit bookmarklets. The quotes on the default WAP2 interface could use some improvement too. That could be my next weekend project. Maybe I will compete with Tapatalk and make millions of dollars by injecting GEICO ads.

Muahaha.

Maybe on the proxy idea. The thing to remember with WAP, was that when it was designed, all formatting was eschewed for the sake of minimizing data transfer needs over the mobile network and still being accessible and readable on even small two-bit black and white LCD screens. Thus no font sizes, no bold, italics, underlining, background and foreground colors, or even links beyond twelve-key navigation - all that were fixed features in the phone's browser itself to ensure a readable and usable page on any device. So any changes made to the WAP 2.0 page feed to make iOS not do stupid things to its rendering, quite literally, breaks the formatting and intent of WAP's core design and implementation. As such, SMF drops all formatting out with their WAP pages. Makes it hard to add that stuff back in without knowing where it goes in the feed itself.

Might just be easier to apply a user script in Chrome (if it'll allow it) to strip all the forum formatting down with your own minimalist CSS formatting using one of the existing SMF responsive themes.... that or convince Rebs to get a fire lit under someone to get the core SMF theme upgraded (or at least installed and made an option to use) to a newer version that properly supports responsive design and just block images. *cough* *cough*
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:04:04 PM by I.P. Daley »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:07:16 PM »
that or convince Rebs to get a fire lit under someone to get the core SMF theme upgraded

I am that someone.  No fires needed, I'm already FIRE'd.  :)

Any time UI or cosmetic changes occur, on any forum or website I've been on, ever, there's backlash.  People don't like change.

I'll make you a deal:

I will make that change, IF: You ghostwrite a post for me, explaining why we changed the theme (the benefits, etc.), that I can put in this subforum (that can be linked to when people complain in various threads, journals, etc.).  Then you respond to the inevitable complaints in that thread (which will hopefully be minimized, if the first post explains it well).

:)

-Joe

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
I am that someone.  No fires needed, I'm already FIRE'd.  :)

Any time UI or cosmetic changes occur, on any forum or website I've been on, ever, there's backlash.  People don't like change.

I'll make you a deal:

I will make that change, IF: You ghostwrite a post for me, explaining why we changed the theme (the benefits, etc.), that I can put in this subforum (that can be linked to when people complain in various threads, journals, etc.).  Then you respond to the inevitable complaints in that thread (which will hopefully be minimized, if the first post explains it well).

:)

-Joe

Better still! SMF can support multiple themes. We leave the current theme as default, install the responsive theme as an optional alternative that has to deliberately be opted into using and only tell the forum of the option instead of forcing the theme and fielding complaints while justifying the change under a barrage of backlash. If enough people like it, then swap defaults. Maybe have a poll.

Do a Kevin Costner (if you build it, they will come) instead of a Yul Brynner (so let it be written, so let it be done) with the change.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 07:47:55 PM »
Mind, I don't mind ghost penning the explanation all the same for even making it available and doing what you asked... just thought it might minimize trauma further going the optional route first and "soliciting" opinion... especially given the theme visually looks identical on larger screens. ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 08:17:40 PM »
The theme you requested has been installed, and users are now able to select that as their theme.

Profile>Forum Profile>Look and Layout>Current Theme (top option on that page).

EDIT: It broke everything for me.  Back to default.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:21:30 PM by arebelspy »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 08:29:57 PM »
The theme you requested has been installed, and users are now able to select that as their theme.

Profile>Forum Profile>Look and Layout>Current Theme (top option on that page).

EDIT: It broke everything for me.  Back to default.

Same here... only not. The default theme is now apparently responsive! I barely even noticed, and I doubt you did too. Let's see if anyone else does. >.>

Never mind. Must have been a caching issue with the CSS on my end. It's back to behaving the same old way now. :\

It looks like core assets are maybe missing from the theme?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:37:27 PM by I.P. Daley »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »
Not sure. I just downloaded the zip and uploaded through package manager, said install was successful.  That should be enough.

There's alternate manual installs possible, but I don't have FTP access, though I've been meaning to ask MMM about it, as I need it to update the Tapatalk plugin.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 08:49:09 PM »
I figured it out. It's a theme MOD for Curve. It requires the assets of the original to work properly. That appears to explain what happened on my end briefly.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Manual_installation_of_mods

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »
Fixed in the latest iOS version.