Author Topic: Show unread posts without journals?  (Read 11823 times)

PtboEliz

• Stubble
Show unread posts without journals?
« on: August 23, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
Hiya, not sure if this has been asked before, I took a look at the Forum Info section and didn't see it. Is there any way to filter out a category from the unread posts function? It's a great function, much more efficient than looking at new in each category, but I find I spend a lot of time scanning over journal titles, and I really don't often look at any journals (though I think having them is a cool idea). I think I've scanned over "Full Frontal Nudity Blunt Force Trauma" a hundred times...  Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

The_Dude

• Stubble
Re: Show unread posts without journals?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
Cool idea

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
I'd love this feature!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
It seems to work if you go to Journals and mark them read. Then do Show unread posts since last visit.

I didn't even know the global show unread was there! What I have been doing is showing unread per section. Then when I come to "Mustachian Community" I go to Journals and mark that read. Then I go back and do "Unread Posts" for Mustachian Community. I know THAT works.

You know how you search for a movie reviewer who has the same take as you do? Then you tend to read them. I think the same thing would work for Journals but I have not yet invested the time to find those writers. Yes, yes, I know, we all grow from reading differing viewpoints.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:15:39 PM »
The mark as read feature is pretty tedious because people constantly post in journals. I agree it would be great to be able to exclude them entirely.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »
Hiya, not sure if this has been asked before, I took a look at the Forum Info section and didn't see it. Is there any way to filter out a category from the unread posts function? It's a great function, much more efficient than looking at new in each category, but I find I spend a lot of time scanning over journal titles, and I really don't often look at any journals (though I think having them is a cool idea). I think I've scanned over "Full Frontal Nudity Blunt Force Trauma" a hundred times...  Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Oh come on - I worked hard on that click bait-ish title! 😎
Marking all journals as read first, as suggested by misshathaway sounds like an efficient way to do it.

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »
Thanks very much misshathaway, that's an okay workaround. I agree with human that it's tedious, but better than nothing. Not sure whether any moderator is going to weigh in on whether a direct option might be possible - hope so :)

[G-dog, makes me less likely to click, and I cringe a little seeing that title (and hope it's not hard on people who have had to deal with blunt force trauma situations) but maybe that's just me...]   

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
Surely, surely you have to skip over Scooter Don't Meep more frequently. Right? Eh, right?

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:17:35 PM »
It's not personal, SS. I'm sure you have a lovely journal!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
Thanks very much misshathaway, that's an okay workaround. I agree with human that it's tedious, but better than nothing. Not sure whether any moderator is going to weigh in on whether a direct option might be possible - hope so :)

[G-dog, makes me less likely to click, and I cringe a little seeing that title (and hope it's not hard on people who have had to deal with blunt force trauma situations) but maybe that's just me...]   

Ah - no problem. Glad you found a work around. The moderators are not official software developers for the forum, though many forum members have mad skills in this arena. Who knows, maybe an upgrade will come around sometime. Could be worse, thus could be Sharepoint.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:03:40 AM »
Could be worse, thus could be Sharepoint.

And there I was having an A-OK Thursday and you have to go and mention Sharepoint.  How do I flag this post as offensive?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:11:33 AM »
It's not personal, SS. I'm sure you have a lovely journal!

You're missing out.

MacGyver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 12:07:03 PM »
PtboEliz:

I created this Javascript bookmarklet (see toggle-journal-posts.txt attachment) to toggle unread posts from the Journals category.

Add a bookmark to your browser with the contents of the file as the URL for the bookmark. Then, when you're on the Unread Posts (http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/unread/) page, clicking the bookmarklet will show or hide any post that is in the Journals category.

The source to the bookmarklet is in the second attachment (toggle-journal-posts.js). I ran the source through https://jscompress.com and http://mrcoles.com/bookmarklet/ to create the bookmarklet code in toggle-journal-posts.txt. You can edit the source file to add additional categories that you want to toggle by updating the "exclude" array. Run the source through JSCompress and the Bookmarklet generator again before re-saving your bookmark.

Enjoy!

PtboEliz

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
MacGyver.. you really are MacGyver!?!
Thank you for taking the time to do that, I really appreciate it :)

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
This thing is sweet, took me a while to understand what the heck you were saying but now that I have it set up it's awesome!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »
PtboEliz:

I created this Javascript bookmarklet (see toggle-journal-posts.txt attachment) to toggle unread posts from the Journals category.

Add a bookmark to your browser with the contents of the file as the URL for the bookmark. Then, when you're on the Unread Posts (http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/unread/) page, clicking the bookmarklet will show or hide any post that is in the Journals category.

The source to the bookmarklet is in the second attachment (toggle-journal-posts.js). I ran the source through https://jscompress.com and http://mrcoles.com/bookmarklet/ to create the bookmarklet code in toggle-journal-posts.txt. You can edit the source file to add additional categories that you want to toggle by updating the "exclude" array. Run the source through JSCompress and the Bookmarklet generator again before re-saving your bookmark.

Enjoy!

Oh heck yes I'm going to use this modify this to allow me to hide posts I don't want to see. I'm not super JS competent but I can most definitely modify something which someone else wrote :-)

MacGyver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 09:30:16 PM »
You're welcome. Glad that you find the script useful and feel free to modify as you see it. If you wanted to exclude specific threads, more re-working of the code is necessary, since the current version only looks at forum categories.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 07:41:52 PM »
There is no official way to do this, I am not aware of any forum feature that would allow this.

The easiest way is to just mark all the journals as read before you go reading for the day, as suggested above.  :)

Shouldn't be too tedious; bookmark this link:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/?action=markasread;sa=board;dde42bb761=04894dcd260be204eeec4c0140efe6cd

Open that bookmark, then after it loads click the unread replies link at the top.  One extra click.  :)

I created this Javascript bookmarklet

Damn, that's badass!  Your username is quite fitting!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:43:31 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
PtboEliz:

Enjoy!

Lifesaver! Love it. Thank you.

MacGyver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 10:04:35 AM »
I've updated the script to allow one to exclude both posts/topics and categories from any topics page (i.e. Unread, Journals, Off-Topic, etc.). I've also added some instructions and comments to the original source for those wanting to modify the script.

Enter the full URL to the post/topic or category that you want to hide from the topics page. For instance:

exclude = [
   'http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/',
   "http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/a-merciful-break-in-the-heat/",
];

Will hide any post within the Journals category and the post "A merciful break in the heat" (the last post in the Off-Topic page).

Enjoy again!
When done editing your list of excluded items, compress your source using JSCompress (https://jscompress.com), convert the code into a Bookmarklet (http://mrcoles.com/bookmarklet/), and save it to your bookmarks/favorites list.

One click later, and you'll be toggling visibility on those posts/topics and categories in your exclude list.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:47:19 PM by MacGyver »

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
Wow, the javascript is a lifesaver. This forum is being over-run with Journals.  Not my thing at all, so was getting very tired of reading past all the irritating titles.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »
Is there any way to make the Javascript instead mark the threads read?

I don't want to mark all journals read, obviously I know how to do that, so I'd remove that line from the exclude list, but I want to have one where I just put in threads I'm not interested in, run it, and it marks them as read.

I can't think of a way off the top of my head to do this (other than it clicking on them to load them, then closing that tab, or something else equally inefficient).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »
Is there any way to make the Javascript instead mark the threads read?

I don't want to mark all journals read, obviously I know how to do that, so I'd remove that line from the exclude list, but I want to have one where I just put in threads I'm not interested in, run it, and it marks them as read.

I can't think of a way off the top of my head to do this (other than it clicking on them to load them, then closing that tab, or something else equally inefficient).

Once I'm done being swamped at work I want to finish my extension.

Right now I've got it setup to basically enable me to ignore specific threads and hide them.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
That'd be neat. If you want a bonus challenge, integrate a right click context menu item that adds a link the to blacklist. ;)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 07:45:59 PM »
That'd be neat. If you want a bonus challenge, integrate a right click context menu item that adds a link the to blacklist. ;)

Better yet, replace the "Show unread posts since last visit." with your custom link from your extension!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »

Better yet, replace the "Show unread posts since last visit." with your custom link from your extension!

That's easy enough, if his extension can be made into a URL, you can just bookmark it.  Or have an icon where your extensions go (next to the URL bar) that clicking it launches (and right click for settings).

But what I meant is an easy way to add new threads to ignore.  Being able to right click on a journal title, for example, and add it to the blacklist, would be sweet.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:05 PM »
Wow, the javascript is a lifesaver. This forum is being over-run with Journals.  Not my thing at all, so was getting very tired of reading past all the irritating titles.

Saves me quite a bit of clicking time every week.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 04:01:53 AM »

That's easy enough, if his extension can be made into a URL, you can just bookmark it.  Or have an icon where your extensions go (next to the URL bar) that clicking it launches (and right click for settings).

But what I meant is an easy way to add new threads to ignore.  Being able to right click on a journal title, for example, and add it to the blacklist, would be sweet.

Ouch... blow to the ego of some writers out there if they knew :D

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
This might come up a lot. Worth stickying this thread?
(assumes people know how to run bookmarklet, but that's other issue)

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »
+1

However, since it doesn't "stick" I have decided to just mark journals read before going to all unread so I don't have to keep hitting that bookmark each time I go back, refresh or to another page of unread.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 05:27:04 PM »
I've updated the script to allow one to exclude both posts/topics and categories from any topics page (i.e. Unread, Journals, Off-Topic, etc.). I've also added some instructions and comments to the original source for those wanting to modify the script.

Enter the full URL to the post/topic or category that you want to hide from the topics page. For instance:

exclude = [
];

Will hide any post within the Journals category and the post "A merciful break in the heat" (the last post in the Off-Topic page).

Enjoy again!
When done editing your list of excluded items, compress your source using JSCompress (https://jscompress.com), convert the code into a Bookmarklet (http://mrcoles.com/bookmarklet/), and save it to your bookmarks/favorites list.

One click later, and you'll be toggling visibility on those posts/topics and categories in your exclude list.

I had been using this for months, but now suddenly it has stopped working.  My Firefox browser just updated to 57.0.1.  Is that why?  Maybe new Firefox changed the about:config settings?  I don't know any JavaScript, so would some kind MacGyver help me fix it please?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »

exclude = [
];

Enjoy again!

I had been using this for months, but now suddenly it has stopped working.  My Firefox browser just updated to 57.0.1.  Is that why?  Maybe new Firefox changed the about:config settings?  I don't know any JavaScript, so would some kind MacGyver help me fix it please?

They’ve been work8ng on the site - my guess is that is how it got disconnected.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 03:51:32 AM »

exclude = [
];

Enjoy again!

More likely the forum software upgrade broke it.

Maybe someone who programs can fix the script to work.

Did you PM MacGyver?

MacGyver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »
Here is a new version that should work today. Be sure to update your URLs in the exclude array now that the forum is running under HTTPS instead of HTTP.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
Here is a new version that should work today.

You rock!

Thanks! :D

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
ARS, it did not even occur to me to send a PM.  But it looks like MacGyver has already come to our rescue!

Thank you so much, MacGyver!!!