Author Topic: Notify me of replies not working  (Read 6222 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Notify me of replies not working
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »
I started a new thread last night which received several replies, and my journal thread received a reply, but I did not receive email notifications on either. I have the box checked on both. This also applies to private messages. I usually get an email notification on those too. There isn't anything in my spam folder.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:58:19 PM by Travis »

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
Re: Notify me of replies not working
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
I think I'm seeing the same thing.  I reported it a while back here:
      https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-e-mails-(and-password-resets)-not-working-migration/?action=post;last_msg=1461936

Do you use Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com, by any chance?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
Hotmail for this account.

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 06:59:30 PM »
My pet theory is that the Outlook.com guys are blacklisting the new forum hosting service.  (Hence the guess.)  If that's right, then everyone at Outlook.com just doesn't get e-mail from the MMM forum.  That would break notifications and any features that require email confirmation like password resets, forum registration, et c.

Being on a blacklist would suggest that the hosting service has clients that are misbehaving in some way (probably spam, possibly due to being compromised.)  That's a tough nut to crack, because it'd be out of the forum admins' hands (unless they could point outbound mail elsewhere?), and puts the hosting service in a tough spot w.r.t. their other (paying) clients.

Caveat: This could all be wrong.  I haven't worked in e-mail services for, like, 10 years.

P.S. The outbound mail logs might have some hints as to why Outlook.com hates us, but MSFT apparently isn't very responsive about this stuff:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/how-to-get-removed-from-outlook-blacklist/d96cd2c4-8b6f-4027-846a-1c26a1bfdab7

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
Still a problem for me.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
Testing msilenus' theory, I changed the email address I have associated to the forum from an Outlook address to a Gmail and the notifications work again.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »
I'm not using outlook.com for my email and I didn't get a notification that you posted anything.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
It looks like this same issue was preventing me from receiving my forum account activation email.

I tried to sign up last night with hotmail.com, but never received the email.  I had it resend last night and again this morning, verified nothing in spam, still no activation email.

After work, I changed it to my vfemail.net email address, and I never received anything there, nothing in spam, either.

A while later, I changed it to my gmail address, and I got my activation email right away.  So here I am.

If I had seen this thread before, I wouldn't have bothered with hotmail (same as outlook.com) in the first place.  But, vfemail.net had the same problem.

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
I am using gmail...........and having no luck recently with getting updates/replies to topics that I've checked "notify".   I had the same problem a month or two ago, and when I wrote about it, I was told something about a new system, or a new server or something.  After that I started getting notifications again.   Now I'm back to not getting them.  I've looked in my Spam folder and Trash folder but the notices aren't ending up there either.

It's pretty upsetting/discouraging/whatever, as these are discussions I would like to continue to hear about and see what others are adding or mentioning...........but NO !!!

I would really like it to get back to however it was months ago where I got all the notices that I had signed up for.

mi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
Not getting these on yahoo either. I'll get one when I first subscribe/click "notify" but crickets after that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!