Author Topic: I see no button to create a new post in "Off Topic"  (Read 2267 times)

shortduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I see no button to create a new post in "Off Topic"
« on: February 06, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »
There is option to create a new post in off topic, is there someting that I am missing?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I see no button to create a new post in "Off Topic"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 10:39:47 AM »
There is option to create a new post in off topic, is there someting that I am missing?

You're too new a member to post there.  After 100 postings, it'll appear as an option.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:36:51 AM by uniwelder »

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 08:34:18 AM »
So I have to pointlessly post unnecessary crap in order to artificially inflate my post count to use that forum?

Well, that's the opposite of brilliant. If I can't use it, I'd rather just hide the stupid thing so I don't see it at all, and it won't show up in unread posts, but I don't offhand see a way to do that either.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 04:53:32 PM »
So I have to pointlessly post unnecessary crap in order to artificially inflate my post count to use that forum?

Well, that's the opposite of brilliant. If I can't use it, I'd rather just hide the stupid thing so I don't see it at all, and it won't show up in unread posts, but I don't offhand see a way to do that either.

At this point you only have 9 more posts to go. Regarding useless crap, the idea is to make you post 100 on topic useful posts before you start posting useless crap.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 05:09:32 PM »

At this point you only have 9 more posts to go. Regarding useless crap, the idea is to make you post 100 on topic useful posts before you start posting useless crap.

It's also the thing that prevents the off topic section from being drowned out by random trolls, which is what keeps it relatively sane in there.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 05:49:03 AM »

How comical that your immediate solution was to “post unnecessary crap”. We hope that members post things worth reading in the appropriate sub forums.  If you intentionally post gibberish just to reach the 100 post threshold you will likely be banned.

Like Metalcat said, the rule has been a net positive, curtailing the roving internet trolls who have no interest in this community.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 07:19:55 AM »

How comical that your immediate solution was to “post unnecessary crap”. We hope that members post things worth reading in the appropriate sub forums.  If you intentionally post gibberish just to reach the 100 post threshold you will likely be banned.

Like Metalcat said, the rule has been a net positive, curtailing the roving internet trolls who have no interest in this community.
Yep, the same thing happened to me. Read this policy for an explanation.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/new-100-posts-to-post-in-'off-topic'-boards/
RetireOrDieTrying, thanks for calling it out.

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 07:22:18 AM »

It's also the thing that prevents the off topic section from being drowned out by random trolls, which is what keeps it relatively sane in there.
That's a good thing, which makes the policy worthwhile, but why do people create useful on-topic mustachian threads (non-political) in the Off-Topic subforum instead of main forums?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 07:32:32 AM »

That's a good thing, which makes the policy worthwhile, but why do people create useful on-topic mustachian threads (non-political) in the Off-Topic subforum instead of main forums?

Did you ask the moderator to move that thread to the on-topic portion of the forum?

cleverscreenname

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 07:36:17 AM »
Did you ask the moderator to move that thread to the on-topic portion of the forum?
I don't have 100 posts yet. But once I do, I'm still not expecting any changes; the consensus seems to be that there are only 2 moderators and they are extremely busy.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 07:46:52 AM »
I don't have 100 posts yet. But once I do, I'm still not expecting any changes; the consensus seems to be that there are only 2 moderators and they are extremely busy.
Oh, we're here.

It's just that you have to flag stuff for our attention because there a lot of posts every day, it's summer, and the life of a retired retirement-blog moderator is filled with so many thrills and chills.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 07:49:10 AM »

The rule is there for a reason: we had waaaay too many people coming here just to post off-topic political rants, especially starting around the Charlottesville car attack era, with lots of bigotry involved.

This still happens, and people get banned anyway, but 100 posts puts enough of a time delay in there that it's really cut down on that kind of nonsense.

Toque.