Author Topic: Moderation  (Read 4791 times)

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
Moderation
« on: July 29, 2021, 04:02:22 PM »
As far as I know, the forums only have a few mods - @FrugalToque and @arebelspy, @MMM who is rarely around, and I thought @MustacheAndaHalf but I don't see their account listed with mod privileges.

It seems that the mods have a pretty light touch when it comes to moderation, and I am wondering if this is philosophical, due to lack of volunteer power, or both.  I think mod presence is particularly important when threads on sensitive topics appear, and I'm pretty dismayed with the lack of mod response in the LGBTQ+ thread.  It's not for lack of bringing it to the moderators' attention.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Moderation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 04:40:46 PM »
I am pretty sure it is the philosophical position of the forum that moderation will be light (check forum rules and other similar discussions)..

If you have reported something and don’t feel like there was enough of a response - follow through by contacting the mods directly.

But keep in mind, that things may be happening behind the scenes - for example, you won’t know if the mod that followed up on the report hasn’t already sent a strongly worded warning to someone.

Overall, I think the mods are doing a great job balancing the job of stepping in when needed, but not squelching discussions. It’s okay for people to have different opinions and to not agree - but don’t be a jerk.

ETA: link to rules (discussion of moderation an early post): https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-rules/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 04:43:25 PM by G-dog »

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »
Thanks.  I'm familiar with the forum rules and have been here long enough to know modding is light.  I think "be respectful" is a pretty broad rule that covers a lot, but I don't see how to operationalize enforcing it without quite a bit more mod involvement.  Ultimately a lot of this is mod discretion, which is just asking a lot of only a couple of mods.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »
Thanks.  I'm familiar with the forum rules and have been here long enough to know modding is light.  I think "be respectful" is a pretty broad rule that covers a lot, but I don't see how to operationalize enforcing it without quite a bit more mod involvement.  Ultimately a lot of this is mod discretion, which is just asking a lot of only a couple of mods.

It is a lot to ask. And each mod, on any given day, may respond slightly differently.  It is a broad rule, some people who really like to debate topics get pretty passionate (?), aggressive (?), heated (?) as the discussion progresses. For me, I find a lot responses in those scenarios to be close to being jerks. But I am not a mod, and I just avoid those threads.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 10:25:46 PM »
Thanks for the @

Yes, reports to moderators get looked at, but not always acted on, and often not looked at for awhile.

A direct PM, or an @, is much quicker.

As for that particular issue, I'll reply in thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 01:01:26 AM »
... and I thought @MustacheAndaHalf but I don't see their account listed with mod privileges.
I've moderated before in a nastier environment, where many of the calls were clear cut.  I became a mod here, where it's not as rude or clear cut.  ​I didn't really know what to do, which made me feel like I wasn't good at it, and so I asked to be demoted after a short time.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
As far as I know, the forums only have a few mods - @FrugalToque and @arebelspy, @MMM who is rarely around, and I thought @MustacheAndaHalf but I don't see their account listed with mod privileges.

It seems that the mods have a pretty light touch when it comes to moderation, and I am wondering if this is philosophical, due to lack of volunteer power, or both.  I think mod presence is particularly important when threads on sensitive topics appear, and I'm pretty dismayed with the lack of mod response in the LGBTQ+ thread.  It's not for lack of bringing it to the moderators' attention.

What do you think that the moderators should do that they're not doing?