Author Topic: how to search the forum  (Read 5294 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
how to search the forum
« on: June 02, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »
You probably know, the search function on the forum doesn't work very well. There is a much better way to search the forum, and it's probably easiest if you pretend the search box on the forum isn't even there. [note to admin: why not just remove or hide the search functionality?]

TL;DR
The secret trick: use Google to search for you. To use Google, just click in the address bar of your browser, and type "site:forum.mrmoneymustache.com " followed by whatever text you're searching for. Boom! Done!

If you have time to read, try this
The problem with the above solution is you have to type "site:forum.mrmoneymustache.com" too often. What if there was a way to automate it? Luckily, there is.

I'm using the Chrome browser, so I'm giving the instructions for Chrome. Maybe somebody else could post instructions for other browsers?
  • in the address bar, type "chrome://settings/searchEngines"
  • scroll to the bottom, until you see the photo attached below
  • where it says "Add a new search engine", type "mmm"
  • where it says "Keyword", type "mmm"
  • where it says "URL with %s in place of query", type "https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.mrmoneymustache.com+%s"
  • click the "Done" button and close the tab

Now, whenever you want to search the forums, go to the address bar, type "mmm " and whatever word you're looking for. Then hit Enter.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:28:21 AM by solon »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Re: how to search the forum
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
Fantastic!  Thank you, Solon!

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:54:34 PM »
This works great, thank you!

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »
Posting to sticky this for myself as this will help me a lot.

firescape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
Wow, that's great to know.
Just 5 minutes before reading this I was sitting here asking myself it was me or the search function that was not working properly.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
You probably know, the search function on the forum doesn't work very well. There is a much better way to search the forum, and it's probably easiest if you pretend the search box on the forum isn't even there. [note to admin: why not just remove or hide the search functionality?]

Cause what if you want to search the journals, which Google doesn't index?

Or do more specific search queries Google can't do, like search by username?

If you read the "Search" sticky in this very subforum it tells you how you can make the search work. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »

Cause what if you want to search the journals, which Google doesn't index?

Or do more specific search queries Google can't do, like search by username?

If you read the "Search" sticky in this very subforum it tells you how you can make the search work. :)

I don't think many people have read that sticky. I keep seeing comments like, "I tried to search the forum, but..." That's part of the reason I made this thread.

The other reason, of course, is just to give people a cool way to search the forum. I tried to search to see if anyone had thought of this yet, but...

Neal300

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
Great job.
Thank you so much.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
Thanks! Adding this as a search engine to Chrome is a great idea.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!