Author Topic: How to post hyperlinks?  (Read 3728 times)

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
How to post hyperlinks?
« on: January 04, 2022, 08:03:20 AM »
Maybe a dumb question, but how do I post links within a post but change the text? E.g.:

The link I want to post is:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/fsbo-pros-cons-90-yr-old's-home-your-thoughts-how-to-start-or-not

But I want to rename the link to short text. AKA make the link itself say simply "FSBO pros & cons - 90 yr old's home - your thoughts - how to start or not?"

I'm sure this is an easy answer. Played around for 5 min without figuring it out.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: How to post hyperlinks?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 02:52:01 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but how do I post links within a post but change the text? E.g.:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/fsbo-pros-cons-90-yr-old's-home-your-thoughts-how-to-start-or-not

But I want to rename the link to short text. AKA make the link itself say simply "FSBO pros & cons - 90 yr old's home - your thoughts - how to start or not?"

I'm sure this is an easy answer. Played around for 5 min without figuring it out.
As in the following?  FSBO pros & cons - 90 yr old's home - your thoughts - how to start or not?

The "short text" goes after the first "]" and before the second "[".

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 05:54:41 PM »

As in the following?  FSBO pros & cons - 90 yr old's home - your thoughts - how to start or not?

The "short text" goes after the first "]" and before the second "[".

Ah, now that I view the formatting in your reply (quote), I see now that my issue was that I didn't ASSIGN the url in the first followed by the short text, then finally the] portion.

For future readers of this thread, the formatting is [url=LINK HERE] followed by the short text, then finally the
ending.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 07:39:37 PM »
Linking articles into forum posts - Bogleheads.org has some suggestions for Firefox and Chrome browser add-ons that make this an easier process.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 08:13:01 AM »
If you don't want to remember the formatting then it's the button above the text input box with what looks like a globe and piece of paper (bottom row, second from the left).

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 09:36:59 PM »
Is there some way one of the mods can make it one of the buttons on the reply field?  For example, there are buttons for scrolling text, subscripts, etc. which are almost never used, but the hyperlink text is used a lot and it has to be done manually.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 09:35:28 AM »
Is there some way one of the mods can make it one of the buttons on the reply field?  For example, there are buttons for scrolling text, subscripts, etc. which are almost never used, but the hyperlink text is used a lot and it has to be done manually.

It is. It's the little globe with the piece of paper. Second from the left on the bottom row. You still need to know to put an = and the URL after "url" within the first set of brackets.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 12:21:11 PM »
Thanks @maisymouser!  You explicitly laying it out was exactly what I needed.

The formatting is not intuitive, even with the button.  But a simple search revealed this thread so props to those who shared knowledge!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!