Author Topic: Forum Signatures - Minimum 100 Posts Now Required  (Read 9703 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Forum Signatures - Minimum 100 Posts Now Required
« on: July 25, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
NEW FORUM POLICY

You need to have 100 posts in order to create/edit a forum signature.

This is being instituted in order to reduce forum spam (fake accounts that come on and make only a small number of nonsense posts while filling their signature with spam links).

Once you hit 100 posts, feel free to make a forum signature, but please keep in mind the forum rules on spam.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:40:18 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Forum Signatures - Minimum 100 Posts Now Required
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
Schweeeeeet. Thank you. :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »
Is there any chance that this also triggers the behavior that you need 100 posts to see signatures?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/where-are-the-signatures/msg2132665/#new

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
Possibly.

The only forum permission related to signatures is under the "Personalize their profile" subsection and it is described as  "Add, edit and/or show signature"

That description doesn't seem like it should block viewing signatures for people with < 100 posts, but yeah, it's possible that it is.

EDIT: Yep, that's what it is. Only people with 100+ posts can edit, and view, signatures.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:48:39 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »
Just so everyone knows, you can also HIDE all signatures. This makes the forum soooo much easier to read. Sort of like the effect an ad blocker has on your web browsing.

Happily, I have no idea what any of you have in your sigs!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:17:09 AM »
How smart, admins!!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »
Just so everyone knows, you can also HIDE all signatures. This makes the forum soooo much easier to read. Sort of like the effect an ad blocker has on your web browsing.

Happily, I have no idea what any of you have in your sigs!
I don't find most signatures to make the forum difficult to read. I like how @arebelspy provides background information about himself in his signature. While journal/blog links in signatures are great, I wouldn't mind a ban on referral links in signatures.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
Possibly.

The only forum permission related to signatures is under the "Personalize their profile" subsection and it is described as  "Add, edit and/or show signature"

That description doesn't seem like it should block viewing signatures for people with < 100 posts, but yeah, it's possible that it is.

EDIT: Yep, that's what it is. Only people with 100+ posts can edit, and view, signatures.

I am just barely under 100 posts but can see your signature.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »
Possibly.

Huh, okay, maybe that isn't it then.

Thanks for the info! :)

thecrydent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
Wow... That is a great way to stop spammers on the forum.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 05:56:57 PM »
Wow... That is a great way to stop spammers on the forum.
Until some industrious spammer posts a hundred "plus ones" and then goes to town. Fortunately, there are some really good bullshit detectors around here. Thanks for this creative solution, mods! I appreciate that you keep on keeping it real here.

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
Possibly.

Huh, okay, maybe that isn't it then.

Thanks for the info! :)

I know this thread is old, but chiming in to add: I think the reason those of us with less than 100 posts can see Arebelspy’s signature is that he’s an admin.  I can see his signature, but no one else’s.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!