Author Topic: Forum Ideas  (Read 299899 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Forum Ideas
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Polar Beer, check out the search function. Hit it with a query like "Costco" or "quinoa", and you'll get a lot further than just searching "groceries" would get you.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
I've noticed that the forum doesn't auto-URL things correctly if they contain punctuation. See for example:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/just-bought-a-2005-yaris-for-$1400!/

sugarwater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • equilibrium.
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2012, 05:17:25 AM »
On another forum i'm on, there is a button on the top bar for named 'new posts' for looking at all new topics and posts that were update recently no matter the category. I think that'd be a good idea for frequent users

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »
On another forum i'm on, there is a button on the top bar for named 'new posts' for looking at all new topics and posts that were update recently no matter the category. I think that'd be a good idea for frequent users

We already have that, actually. Near the very top of the page to the left where it says Hello sugarwater (in your case) in big bold text right under the MMM banner? Right under that, you have links for both Show unread posts since last visit and Show new replies to your posts.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
We've got a lot of sticky-quality material on this site. I've collected some on my signature, but I think IP Daley's thread and the monthly biking threads are both definitely sticky quality, and I'd argue some of the others are as well.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
We've got a lot of sticky-quality material on this site. I've collected some on my signature, but I think IP Daley's thread and the monthly biking threads are both definitely sticky quality, and I'd argue some of the others are as well.

I'm all for stickying stuff, but rather than random threads I'd think summary type threads would be better.

I.e. A new post that gets stickied that has links to threads with frugality tips.  A stickied post with links to threads on the topic of happiness (or whatever).  Like your thread, which is stickied, that has links to all the MMM reader's blogs, is a great "summary" type thread.

If you, or anyone wants to volunteer and make some posts like that, I think stickying them is a great idea!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »
I spent a lot of time doing both on Early-Retirement.org:  http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/

I found them quite useful for myself ("Now where's that post about Bill Bernstein's Retirement Calculator from Hell?  Ah, there it is.") and for a few other of the more long-term members who'd also link to them.

If new members ever read them, they never said anything.  Objective evidence was that they hardly ever read them, although lurkers may have been doing so.  But usually you'd get a post like "Hey, guys, I'm going to ask about a bunch of topics that you discuss nearly every day.  Gee, you know what?  You ought to have some way of archiving the answers to frequently asked questions!!"

Another way to handle the topic could be to write up your material in your own blog or in a guest post for another blog-- MMM or someone else's.  (No self-promotion intended.)  That way your thoughts are still written up in an indexed & searchable format, they can be easily linked to from a number of sources, and you'd find out if you have a blog in you.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
If new members ever read them, they never said anything.

Sorry. They were locked, so no easy way to say that I read and appreciated them when I first joined those forums a year or two ago.

I read at least half of them, maybe a bit more.  I remember opening like 60+ tabs at once from links from those threads and reading through a bunch of old ones.

Thanks for your work on creating them.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »
I read at least half of them, maybe a bit more.  I remember opening like 60+ tabs at once from links from those threads and reading through a bunch of old ones.
Thanks for your work on creating them.
Hey, good to hear.  Thanks.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
I spent a lot of time doing both on Early-Retirement.org:  http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/

I found them quite useful for myself ("Now where's that post about Bill Bernstein's Retirement Calculator from Hell?  Ah, there it is.") and for a few other of the more long-term members who'd also link to them.

If new members ever read them, they never said anything.  Objective evidence was that they hardly ever read them, although lurkers may have been doing so.  But usually you'd get a post like "Hey, guys, I'm going to ask about a bunch of topics that you discuss nearly every day.  Gee, you know what?  You ought to have some way of archiving the answers to frequently asked questions!!"

That sounds like a good argument for having a "like" button. Sometimes I don't want to clutter a thread with yet another "thanks!" message, but I still want to show appreciation for the post.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
That sounds like a good argument for having a "like" button. Sometimes I don't want to clutter a thread with yet another "thanks!" message, but I still want to show appreciation for the post.
vBulletin forum software has a "Thanks" button, but unlike the "Like" button it doesn't show up on the thread.  "Thanks" lets the reader send a short message to the writer, and it shows up in the writer's private notification area.  Other readers can't even tell that a "Thanks" has been sent.

Ironically most of my "Thanks" came from a post I'd written as a moderator:  "Read this before you post!"  The irony was that the ones thanking me seemed to be the most likely to be unable to follow any of the advice that they'd just allegedly read.

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
Here are my 10 cents:

- Create a vote up thread (much like a thank you feature) and conversely a vote down.
- Create a forum feature that enables users to receive all updates on any topic based on keywords. E.g. Roth. Users would customize what topics they receive notifications for and the frequency.
- Create an ignore user(s) feature.
- Create a Mustachian Forum Place to “Trade” physical goods. Of course participation is voluntary and users do not hold MMM liable for any damages.
- Create a section that organizes the FAQ topics and have that section required reading by new forum users before unlocking the rest of the forum.
- Create a Mustachian group deals. Many of us are savvy shoppers who specialize in certain areas. It would be great if we can share on this collective pool of resources.
- Create a virtual convention (or live gathering) where we have expert panels and guest speakers on various Mustachian topics.
- Enable embedding html links instead of listing out the entire url.
- Create a required counter under each users name (instead of the squares) indicating retirement and debt free (DF) status/goal. Eg pending on X. DF on X. DF since X. Retired since X. This could be simple as bar graph or pie chart.

Thanks for considering these ideas. Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:17:24 PM by Stashtastic Momo »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »
Here are my 10 cents

- (can't help with this one)
- Under Profile settings, select "Buddies/Ignore List" under "Modify Profile" on the left side.
- Try the Mustachian Marketplace
- Not sure if I follow.
- Already possible with bbcode. Highlight text you want to turn into a link, press the little globe with paper icon button, you'll get url bbcode tags. Edit thusly:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.tld.url/webpage.html]link text[/url]- (can't help with this one)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2013, 11:19:33 AM »
Not to be that guy, but isn't 9 ideas 18 cents?

Kenoryn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
I would love to have a recipe section for people to share their favourite inexpensive recipes.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
Was the site down for a couple of hours last night?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »
Was the site down for a couple of hours last night?

Yes.

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »
Here are my 10 cents

- Under Profile settings, select "Buddies/Ignore List" under "Modify Profile" on the left side.
- Try the Mustachian Marketplace
- Not sure if I follow. *Basically a real-time MMM forum deals that we are aware of and we post/share with others. Think fatwallet, nerdwallet and other real-time sites that collect deals but with a stronger focus on MMM values instead of simply spending.*
- Already possible with bbcode. Highlight text you want to turn into a link, press the little globe with paper icon button, you'll get url bbcode tags. Edit thusly:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.tld.url/webpage.html]link text[/url]

@ I.P. Daley: Thanks for sharing. Are you a mod or someone who can implement actual site improvements?

Is there anyone on this thread who is? I'd like to hear their ideas too. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:53:45 AM by Stashtastic Momo »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »
Is there anyone on this thread who is?

Mods don't have the ability to change the forum options, only add/delete categories, and modify/move/remove posts.

Only a forum administrator (which would be Mr. or Mrs. MM), not moderator, could make those type of changes.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
@ I.P. Daley: Thanks for sharing. Are you a mod or someone who can implement actual site improvements?

Nope, just smarter than your av-a-rage bear user.

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »
Is there anyone on this thread who is?

Mods don't have the ability to change the forum options, only add/delete categories, and modify/move/remove posts.

Only a forum administrator (which would be Mr. or Mrs. MM), not moderator, could make those type of changes.

arebelspy: Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully the MMM team reads the suggestions from time-to-time. Thanks.

I.P. Daley: Thanks Yogi!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
In case I'm not over my lifetime suggestion limit: make the forum header image change with the blog header. I love the scratchy turntables with great-grandpa Ulysses, honest, but a little variety is nice too.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions!  I agree that the logo needs to change.  Easy stuff like that I can do right away, but many of the suggestions require me to look into things and figure out how they work, so it probably won't happen very quickly.

If something is broken or really urgent, please PM me to make sure I get it.

Thanks again!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2013, 08:40:32 PM »
I would like to vote against having a publicly-visible "like" or "vote up/down" option.  While I understand the desire to give a +1 without cluttering a thread, I think on the more political or contentious subjects it would just degrade the discussion to the level of a popularity contest.  (I suppose the same argument could be made against internet discussions in general yet the mustache community manages to rise above it.  The tool is as good as the tool-user.  Still, why tempt temptation.)

I would like to recommend a "show most recent posts" option.  That is, not the most recent unread posts, and not the most recent posts by category, but all most recent posts regardless of category.  The problem is I'll read a thread, not comment on it, then think of a comment I would like to add later, but I can't find the thread again because I originally read it via "show unread posts since last visit" and didn't note which category it was in--OH SNAP, I just realized that is a feature all the way down at the bottom if you go to the home page.  Nevermind.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:20 AM »
I agree.  Discussions aren't, and shouldn't be, popularity contests.  Often I get much value out of the contrary and minority opinions, which we don't want to drive away.

A "thanks" button that I've seen on forums is about the farthest I'd go on that concept, and I'm not even convinced that's necessary.

aclarridge

« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
Hi all - I posted this idea in another thread and got a couple positive responses but I don't know if any mods saw it, so I'm now posting it in the proper place.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/debt-free-car-project/msg49553/#msg49553

Upon further thought it could be something like "Mustachian Transportation", rather than just automobiles. What do you all think?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
I don't know... I almost think fewer categories are better. We had this discussion in this thread a page or so ago about a food forum, which was proposed for much the same reason.

aclarridge

« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
We have one for Real Estate and Landlording though. I guess the rationale is that we spend much more on houses than we do on cars? That would be a fair point.

I understand where you're coming from - the line needs to be drawn somewhere, and we can't have a forum category for every aspect of life. But think about it this way: basic human needs are food/shelter/clothing/community and in our modern world I'd say transportation as well. We've got the shelter covered, the "community" part is covered by several categories and indeed by the forum itself, and clothing is a relatively minor expense, but food and transportation are missing. They're pretty fundamental.

Yes, people can still post about them in other categories, but making their own separate categories will probably encourage more posting/discussion which benefits everybody.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »
I couldn't find this anywhere, but is there a list of the possible "ranks" that people can attain by posting more?

My unscientific research shows that...

Just joined = Stubble
50 Posts = Bristles
100 Posts = Handlebar
250 Posts = Magnum
500 Posts = Sr Mustachian

Maybe I'm missing some? Or are there secret levels that have yet to be unlocked? I work on a web game for a living so this stuff is important to me!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
Correctamundo; there's also mod and admin but those aren't point based.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
I couldn't find this anywhere, but is there a list of the possible "ranks" that people can attain by posting more?
Maybe I'm missing some? Or are there secret levels that have yet to be unlocked? I work on a web game for a living so this stuff is important to me!
Imagine if all the posts we've made over the years on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, blogs, discussion boards, bulletin boards, chat rooms... could all be totaled up in a single place.  Maybe Google could track it and give out extra free storage for e-mail, or maybe Amazon could offer free shipping for everyone over 100,000 posts.

Oh, but wait, then people would start favoring quantity over quality.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »
Imagine if all the posts we've made over the years on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, blogs, discussion boards, bulletin boards, chat rooms... could all be totaled up in a single place.  Maybe Google could track it and give out extra free storage for e-mail, or maybe Amazon could offer free shipping for everyone over 100,000 posts.

Oh, but wait, then people would start favoring quantity over quality.

+1 (posts to my name.)

(...sorry, couldn't resist. And you're lucky I'm not making this parenthetical comment a separate post to rub in the silliness.)

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »
I'm sure it's been suggested already but I second the idea of having a thread devoted to biking. Biking is a such a large part of MMM/ERE that it deserves its own page. Biking shows up in some of the other areas like market place, ask a mustacian, throw down the gauntlet. I'd rather see all of the biking or most of the biking in one place.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
Maybe its just me, but my SENT private messages are not being saved.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2013, 08:37:02 AM »
Adam-

Profile > Account Settings in the top menu.

Under "Modify Profile" on the left side header, select "Personal Messaging", then tick the box next to "Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default." ...and press the "Change Profile" button.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
i.p.

Found it, thanks.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2013, 07:39:06 PM »
Can't find an answer anywhere...

What happened to the "Recent unread posts" and "New replies to your posts" that were at the top of the page two weeks ago?

Did something change?  Is there another way now?

Thanks!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »
Can't find an answer anywhere...

What happened to the "Recent unread posts" and "New replies to your posts" that were at the top of the page two weeks ago?

Did something change?  Is there another way now?

Thanks!

Maximize your window if at all possible (at least 1200px wide), and to the right of the banner in the upper right hand corner, you should see a little carat (v) pointing downward. Click it so it's pointing up (^), and that should get you sorted!

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
Ahaa!!!  THANK YOU!  I thought it'd be something simple :)

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
Hello Mrs MM, if you do read this.

Where I would spend my effort would be in spicing up the comment area. Both here on the forum and the blog itself. This is where I see the chance for even faster growth than you're already experiencing.

For instance, go to popular newspapers and blogs and see how they handle the comments. Like buttons, Dislike buttons, ability to read comments that are either the oldest, newest, or most liked or most replied. (How about a feature being able to read the most Disliked too.)

I enjoy MMM's blog, but the comments are what really can put the meat on the bone, adding even more depth and personal experience.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »
I don't know how many of those features would really be productive -- in my experience, comment systems tend to encourage cattiness. Getting a -10 on a post can be really discouraging to someone with an honest but unpopular opinion, too.

AnonymousCoward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
The main site hasn't had a favicon since the hosting switch, and the forum still uses the boring default.

This cute little mustache is free to use without attribution under the creative commons license.

http://www.favicon.cc/?action=icon&file_id=588665

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2013, 05:41:56 AM »
A like button

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
How about a mobile skin. There are lots that look great on Mobile for SF. I'm happy to help pick one out, test etc.

PolarBeer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2013, 03:57:16 AM »
On the technical side, the only thing I'm missing is a mobile format so that I can read on my phone without excessive side scrolling.

I don't think "likes", "reputation" or similar stuff is a good idea at all.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2013, 05:51:55 AM »
On the technical side, the only thing I'm missing is a mobile format so that I can read on my phone without excessive side scrolling.

I don't think "likes", "reputation" or similar stuff is a good idea at all.

Down at the bottom of the page, in the footer section, click the WAP2 link.

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2013, 01:47:50 PM »
Is there a way we can block select threads and specific users directly from the thread and/or user posts? Thanks.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »
The forum ignore list is global (applies to all threads on the site) and only hides posts from your eyes, not prevents them from appearing for all readers. So no, there isn't a way to do that currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
The forum ignore list is global (applies to all threads on the site) and only hides posts from your eyes, not prevents them from appearing for all readers.
I didn't even realize this software had an ignore list.  Thanks, that solves a problem.  For me, anyway!