Author Topic: Forum Ideas  (Read 299900 times)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
Re: Forum Ideas
« Reply #200 on: May 31, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »
Copied from the discussion on how to meet single mustachians ....

Maybe the "Personals" forum could be changed to something like "Single and Mustachian" where single people could talk about topics pertaining to mustache-building on your own.  I would like to discuss things like that, and people could interact and identify fellow singles in a less "seeking" kind of way. The current Personals area seems really CraigsListy to me.   

It'd be as easy as just changing the name. :)

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: May 31, 2013, 11:58:37 PM »
On the technical side, the only thing I'm missing is a mobile format so that I can read on my phone without excessive side scrolling.

I don't think "likes", "reputation" or similar stuff is a good idea at all.

Down at the bottom of the page, in the footer section, click the WAP2 link.

Thanks but that is a bit rough. It would be good to get a proper skin with the same functionality as the full site skin. I'm happy to test this out and help set it up if doing so would mean it got used. Cheers

juliesunday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2013, 12:46:55 PM »
Hi there MMM! I'm sure someone has suggested this but the Lady Staches section seems like it could be its own forum, since I've seen a wide variety of topics covered (bras, makeup, nail polish, hairstyling, etc!).

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2013, 04:29:16 PM »
Is there a way to save or favorite users and their specific posts but not the entire thread?

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
The forum ignore list is global (applies to all threads on the site) and only hides posts from your eyes, not prevents them from appearing for all readers. So no, there isn't a way to do that currently.

So what can users do if they want to ignore all postings by specific users?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
Add them to your ignore list. You won't see them, but everyone else still will.

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
Add them to your ignore list. You won't see them, but everyone else still will.

Where can that be done? Thanks.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: June 07, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
See attached.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »
So I had a 1MB .png I wanted to upload and I was getting an "attachment too large" error, but it's supposed to accept up to 10MB files. Any idea what's behind that?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2013, 08:29:37 PM »
So I had a 1MB .png I wanted to upload and I was getting an "attachment too large" error, but it's supposed to accept up to 10MB files. Any idea what's behind that?

PM kworthington
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
Is there a "View New Posts" function somewhere?

If not, I would like to suggest this :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
Is there a "View New Posts" function somewhere?

If not, I would like to suggest this :)

There is.  At the top, where it says hello and your name, and has your avatar picture.

If you don't see it cick the grey down arrow all the way on the right under the header banner picture.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: June 23, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
There is.  At the top, where it says hello and your name, and has your avatar picture.

If you don't see it cick the grey down arrow all the way on the right under the header banner picture.

Great!

Vilx-

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2013, 02:45:19 AM »
Crazy forum idea for the technically adventurous: adopt Discourse. It's a new project, but it's been a public beta for nearly 6 months now so many bugs are ironed out already. And it's AWESOME.

They actively use it themselves too, and there's a partnership offer available. I'm not quite sure on the nitty-gritty details, but what I can understand from the website is that if you agree to run this in production and tell them of all the bugs you find, they promise to fix them real quickly and help you with whatever technical stuff they can. You basically get the white-glove platinum-level 24/7 support and a box of cookies. For free. They'll even host it on their own ridiculously overpowered servers. They want to find 3 partners and so far I've only read of one, so I assume the other 2 positions are open.

I think it could be interesting. And maybe it could let you reduce your own hosting costs?

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
I would really like to see a sticky that would give you some definitions of some of the common abbreviations.

I keep seeing FIRE and DH used and a few other without knowing what they mean.

I've figured out FIRE stands for Financial Independent Retired Early, but for the life of me DH escapes my best guesses. I under stand it means spouse but I'd still like to know what the acronym stands for.

I think having this would help people new to this forum and new to FIRE in general.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
I would really like to see a sticky that would give you some definitions of some of the common abbreviations.

I've figured out FIRE stands for Financial Independent Retired Early, but for the life of me DH escapes my best guesses. I under stand it means spouse but I'd still like to know what the acronym stands for.

I think having this would help people new to this forum and new to FIRE in general.

I believe DH is short for Dear Husband.

You may find acronymfinder.com useful although it seems to return a lot of results.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/DH.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:51:28 AM by jambongris »

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2013, 03:18:48 PM »

I believe DH is short for Dear Husband.

You may find acronymfinder.com useful although it seems to return a lot of results.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/DH.html

Also...

DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son

I wonder why you rarely see a husband refer to his "DW"? Perhaps I speak for most men when I say that those acronyms are idiotic. "Son" is 3 characters, just 1 more than "DS" so why bother? That extra millisecond is really gonna go to good use on another task!

Some other relevant acronyms:

PE = Price/earnings
ER = Expense ratio

I'm sure there are plenty more we throw around here without considering that not everyone knows them.

screaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • planning my next act
    • Steve's blog
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
I'd like to use this "Forum Ideas" topic for everyone to send me their ideas on anything related to the forum. 

Hi there! I'm new to the forum, but I'm very surprised that there isn't a section dedicated to sharing inexpensive but tasty recipes -- anyone else agree that this would be a useful area? I'm certainly willing to contribute a couple of my favorite cheap paleo meals!

-steve

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
I'd like to use this "Forum Ideas" topic for everyone to send me their ideas on anything related to the forum. 

Hi there! I'm new to the forum, but I'm very surprised that there isn't a section dedicated to sharing inexpensive but tasty recipes -- anyone else agree that this would be a useful area? I'm certainly willing to contribute a couple of my favorite cheap paleo meals!

-steve

These should hold you over for a while:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/mustachian-breakfast-ideas
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/bread-machine-recipes/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/mmm-recipe-thread-inexpensive-recipes-for-a-big-appetite/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/paleo-wallet-friendly-recipes/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/mustachian-cooking-recipes-healthy-inexpensive
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/pizza-stone-recipes/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/recipes-for-a-busy-college-student/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/mustachian-recipes/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/recipe-share/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/killing-the-grocery-bill-share-your-meal-plans
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/building-a-vegetarian-cooking-repertoire
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/recipes/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/what-are-you-eating-right-now/

13 threads in the history of the forum do not make a category IMO, but you might get a sticky if you ask for it.

screaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • planning my next act
    • Steve's blog
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
13 threads in the history of the forum do not make a category IMO, but you might get a sticky if you ask for it.

Good point... and thanks very much for compiling those links!

-steve

Xtal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:18 AM »
How about a "Side Hustle Corner"?

I think a lot of us would like to share ideas on how to start a small side business or retirement "fun" work. 

brighteye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2013, 02:58:10 AM »
I found the Lady Staches thread awesome, but it is really long now. Some place to discuss those topics separately would be great. But I would not call the section Lady Staches, instead choose a neutral name so as not to dicourage the male commenters.

brighteye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2013, 03:04:29 AM »
...oh and I would love to hear/read about life after ER/FIRE. I am not there yet but it would be a big motivation!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »
...oh and I would love to hear/read about life after ER/FIRE. I am not there yet but it would be a big motivation!
The best implementation of that concept that I've seen is the Early-Retirement.org thread "What did you do today?"
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-did-you-do-today-37868.html

It grew out of the typical ER question "But... whaddya DO all day?!?"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
And, since it's 600+ pages long, over 12,000 replies, just reading it could answer the question what do you do all day?  ;)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »
And, since it's 600+ pages long, over 12,000 replies, just reading it could answer the question what do you do all day?  ;)
Well, sure, but here you'd get to learn what financially independent badass mustachians are relentlessly optimizing all day...

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
Well, sure, but here you'd get to learn what financially independent badass mustachians are relentlessly optimizing all day...

Nords, everytime I read a post about the useful information that people received out of your manual, I have meant to dig through your forum.  This has been going on for months, but frankly it intimidates me in size and scope.  Am I being a wussypants or is their a table of contents or a way not read 16 pages of 773 posts?  Thanks for putting this together, I will tackle this topic! 

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »
I know we have lots of topics on SWR, but I think it would be cool to have a conference call recorded or Chat with bo_knows, Wade Pfau, Bill(Firecalc), and others to talk about the knowledge and resarch around SWR. If this is something that people are interested in, then I probably can obtain an 800 number recordable chat number, reach out to the various parties to determine their interest, etc.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »
That would be hella cool.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
Thanks Grant - didn't know you could implement an ignore list.

I'll second the separate forums for ladystaches and side hustles. Also the recordable chat number idea.

Could someone tech savvy do a video that walks you through how to use the forum for newbies? I know my former employer had those on our intranet on how to navigate our internal electronic data rooms. They helped a lot, especially in the beginning of the implementation.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »

Nords, everytime I read a post about the useful information that people received out of your manual, I have meant to dig through your forum.  This has been going on for months, but frankly it intimidates me in size and scope.  Am I being a wussypants or is their a table of contents or a way not read 16 pages of 773 posts?  Thanks for putting this together, I will tackle this topic!
For Early-Retirement.org, I'd just start with the FAQ archives:  http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/  But that's not my forum; the site was started by Dory36 and is now owned by Andy R.

"The Military Guide" might be at your local library, and you can read the first chapter online at Impact Publications:
http://www.impactpublications.com/eproducts/chapter_excerpts/8026_chapter_1.pdf

The first six months of posts at The-Military-Guide.com excerpt the book's content (minus the personal stories & checklists).  After that your best bet is to subscribe to the RSS feed or e-mail, search by keywords or the categories, or... just ask me a question.

The blog is going through some theme changes this weekend, and we have a big announcement coming at 5 AM HST Monday.  It's all good.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »
I like the "new" icon next to topics, but wish there were a "new" icon next to individual posts so I could tell which posts in a given thread I haven't read yet.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »
I like the "new" icon next to topics, but wish there were a "new" icon next to individual posts so I could tell which posts in a given thread I haven't read yet.

Click that new icon, and it will take you to the first post you haven't read.  All the ones below that are new.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »

Click that new icon, and it will take you to the first post you haven't read.  All the ones below that are new.

You learn something new every day... Thanks!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2013, 06:18:17 PM »
Is there a way we could get spoilertags? Something like this?

Also, are we any closer to resolving the issue where the forum mangles any links that have special punctuation in them? I know the Bogleheads site links get destroyed pretty often...

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
Is there any way to "forget" tracking a topic I've replied to so that it no longer shows up under "Show new replies to your posts?"

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
I wish.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
Is there any way to "forget" tracking a topic I've replied to so that it no longer shows up under "Show new replies to your posts?"
I wish.
Moderators & admins, does this version of SMF include an "Ignore thread" feature?  It already has "Ignore poster" so maybe they implemented the thread version as well.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »
What about an Asset,Liability or Junk board?  If you are considering buying something but are on the fence about it's potential usefulness/your turnaround you put up your list of pros and cons and you can let the community tell you if it's a good idea or bad idea.

Full disclosure, I was thinking about the expensive gear hanging out in my basement that could be making us some $$$, but is currently being clutter. 

Deimyts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
I think a lot of us would like to share ideas on how to start a small side business or retirement "fun" work.

I second this one - I feel really out of my depth on this topic, and it's of great interest to me since I need to boost my income to have any hope of getting rid of debt in a timely manner.

Justin234

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2013, 01:22:29 AM »

I second this one - I feel really out of my depth on this topic, and it's of great interest to me since I need to boost my income to have any hope of getting rid of debt in a timely manner.

I just came here to mention this idea and find that the most recent comment is the same idea - wondering if it would be worthwhile to have a "Self-Employment" category. I thought of this when commenting on the issue of Solo 401(k) in the investor's area. Seems there are a lot of issues around small business - how to manage accounts, deal with taxes, when to hire a CPA, etc., marketing, or just general brainstorming - that might be addressed collectively. Of course there would be some overlap with other areas (e.g. the Solo 401(k) topic), but overall I think it would be a good way to encourage people to start out on their own.

cbgg

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »
1) Do something to differentiate up dates by the origional poster.  For example, put a box around any updates they add.
2) Thread responses.
3) Once you've posed, don't kick back to the forum, go back to the topic.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »
3) Once you've posed, don't kick back to the forum, go back to the topic.

Gero1369

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Working to 'retire' by 2028
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2013, 07:23:57 AM »
Hi.  I just joined and had a bit of an issue registering.

Looking quickly, I didn't see any 'issues' thread or anything, but the forum registration form asks the user to "Complete the phrase: Financial freedom through...", then you're left to enter the mysterious field.  It took me a google search to complete by finding the OLD 'NEW' BANNER THREAD!  Please substitute a different question.  I'm sure that other not so savvy internets users would like to join and are having the same difficulty.

Just a pain point that I'd like to point out.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »
Hi.  I just joined and had a bit of an issue registering.

Looking quickly, I didn't see any 'issues' thread or anything, but the forum registration form asks the user to "Complete the phrase: Financial freedom through...", then you're left to enter the mysterious field.  It took me a google search to complete by finding the OLD 'NEW' BANNER THREAD!  Please substitute a different question.  I'm sure that other not so savvy internets users would like to join and are having the same difficulty.

Just a pain point that I'd like to point out.

It's still on the current banner.  Look at the coin.

It is subtle though, I'll grant you.

Charlotte

« Reply #245 on: December 26, 2013, 04:08:39 AM »
I would love a glossary for us newbies. There are seemingly enough obscure acronyms to confuse even military mustachians.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/acronyms-and-slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html

:)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2013, 07:00:11 AM »
We have one too, in the faq thread in this category.

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »
Lots of vehicle related questions lately in the Ask a Mustachian category.  Not complaining - I'm consumer of them. 

Suggest starting a vehicle or transportation forum since it would awesome to have that stuff in one place.  Along with shelter and food, your wheels or lack thereof play a big role in your 'stache.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2014, 05:51:46 AM »
New forums seldom get 'all' of the threads on a topic - instead you'll get half of vehicle posts in the shiny new category, a quarter in Ask a Mustachian, a handful in Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy and Welcome and General Discussion...

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »
Copied from the discussion on how to meet single mustachians ....

Maybe the "Personals" forum could be changed to something like "Single and Mustachian" where single people could talk about topics pertaining to mustache-building on your own.  I would like to discuss things like that, and people could interact and identify fellow singles in a less "seeking" kind of way. The current Personals area seems really CraigsListy to me.   

It'd be as easy as just changing the name. :)

I second this idea.