Author Topic: Error replying (message body was left empty)  (Read 5807 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Error replying (message body was left empty)
« on: November 16, 2016, 05:59:04 AM »
I'm trying to reply to this thread: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/chase-sapphire-reserve-100-000-points-signup-bonus/

And I keep getting the following error message:

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message body was left empty.

Not sure what the problem is because it's definitely not an empty message.  I seem to be able to reply to other threads.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Error replying (message body was left empty)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
I tried to quote a string of replies and add my own, but I kept getting the message.  I then tried to just put my reply without the string of quotes and it allowed me to post.  I tried to edit my post to then include the quotes but it's giving me the same error when I try to save my edits.

I was trying to quote message #662 by dragoncar:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/chase-sapphire-reserve-100-000-points-signup-bonus/msg1305839/#msg1305839

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 06:04:59 AM »
I keep getting that as well on random threads.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »
I tried to quote a string of replies and add my own, but I kept getting the message.  I then tried to just put my reply without the string of quotes and it allowed me to post.  I tried to edit my post to then include the quotes but it's giving me the same error when I try to save my edits.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/chase-sapphire-reserve-100-000-points-signup-bonus/msg1305839/#msg1305839

Playing around with it, it appears to happen when there's a lot of embedded quotes.  If I remove any of the quotes from that, I can reply fine.

IDK why it says that error message, and not something useful about too many embedded quotes.

Have you got it only under the same circumstance as above (a bunch of nested quotes)?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »

Playing around with it, it appears to happen when there's a lot of embedded quotes.  If I remove any of the quotes from that, I can reply fine.

IDK why it says that error message, and not something useful about too many embedded quotes.

Have you got it only under the same circumstance as above (a bunch of nested quotes)?
Yep.  :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »
Never got the error message but this problem didn't seem to occur in the gigantic nested quote cow pun thread earlier...?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
Never got the error message but this problem didn't seem to occur in the gigantic nested quote cow pun thread earlier...?

The original problem that created this was only 5 quotes deep.  I know I've quoted many other times that were nested deeper than that, so I don't think it's an automatic problem that happens at a certain number of nested quotes.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »

The original problem that created this was only 5 quotes deep.  I know I've quoted many other times that were nested deeper than that, so I don't think it's an automatic problem that happens at a certain number of nested quotes.

It may have been a bug created with the last forum software update a month or two ago.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:20:49 AM »
I encountered that error message a couple of days ago. I don't think there were particularly many quotes, but I can't remember for sure. After a couple of attempts it went through fine. Weird.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »
I encountered that error message a couple of days ago. I don't think there were particularly many quotes, but I can't remember for sure. After a couple of attempts it went through fine. Weird.

Yeah, you have to cut down on the nested quotes. Not a big deal, but discouraging the first time one runs across it.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 11:17:04 PM »
It may have been a bug created with the last forum software update a month or two ago.
Yeah, you have to cut down on the nested quotes.
Some would consider that a feature, not a bug. ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 12:14:38 AM »

If it had a correct error message, perhaps.  :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 04:16:53 AM »

The adolescent part of my brain says that more nested quotes are inherently superior to fewer. :D

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
I'm getting this issue trying to post a reply on my journal.

I'm trying to add
code. I verified it by going here: http://www.tytyweb.net/projects/smf/bbcode/

It checks out - valid BBCode. It's basically the same "monthly budget review" table I post once a month.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
Here's the sample. If it's anything like the above issue, perhaps the nested text formats are starting to be an issue for the forum since that last update.

Code: [Select]

<b>November Budget Review</b>
<table>
<tr><td><b>Category</b></td><td><right><b>September</b></right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Dividends</td><td><right>1.39</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>401k Contribution</td><td><right>2</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>401k Match</td><td><right>9</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Paychecks</td><td><right>8</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Rental Income</td><td><right>5</right></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>All Income</b></td><td><right><b>1</b></right></td></tr></table>
<table><tr><td><b>Category</b></td><td><right><b>September</b></right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Apparel</td><td><right>-87.93</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>ATM/Cash</td><td><right>-30</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Cable TV / Internet</td><td><right>-190.77</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Car Loan Interest</td><td><right>-76.35</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Cell Phone</td><td><right>-25.8</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Drinking</td><td><right>-98.42</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Eating Out</td><td><right>-175.03</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Education Interest</td><td><right>-14.63</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Entertainment</td><td><right>-10</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Fees</td><td><right>-5.95</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Fitness / Healthcare</td><td><right>-749.76</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Gas</td><td><right>-172.01</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Gifts</td><td><right>-241.91</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Groceries</td><td><right>-503.73</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Household</td><td><right>-36.95</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Monthly Entertainment</td><td><right>-37.08</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Mortgage Int. / Escrow</td><td><right>-1745.45</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Recurring Services</td><td><right>-55.74</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Travel</td><td><right>-22.4</right></td></tr>
<tr><td>Utilities</td><td><right>-257.89</right></td></tr>
<tr><td><b>All Expenses</b></td><td><right><b>-55.9</b></right></td></tr>
</table>

(Square brackets intentionally updated to angle brackets to allow me to post the code here.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »
Cathy posted a thing about tables post-update, IIRC. Try looking that up and see if it helps?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
So it looks like the issue Cathy responded to was one where empty table cells were no longer being rendered. Unfortunately, my issue is that I can't post a table at all. Formatting isn't my issue, other than maybe I can get it to post if I omit the "right" and/or "bold" tags.

Header Row
Normal Row

In this simplified example, it works fine. The only difference with my code is that I have two columns instead of one, and more instances of aligned/bolded rows. Perhaps the new parser has a state limit of some sort, i.e. regex with a stack limit of 20.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
Sometimes I move too fast, but I think I narrowed down the issue to this: I can use all of my usual formatting, but am limited to ONE table per post, not TWO - or I can just omit [b] tags from the tables. Either works, but once I try to combine them, bad things happen.

The following code cannot be posted successfully:
[table][tr][td][right][b]Table 1[/b][/right][/td][/tr][tr][td]Row 1[/td][/tr][tr][td][right][b]Row 2[/b][/right][/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td][right][b]Table 2[/b][/right][/td][/tr][tr][td]Row 1[/td][/tr][/table]

Ah - so to add a second row with [b] breaks things... interesting.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 06:02:19 PM »
See [2.0.12] Cannot post tables in messages anymore due to [h r] in table.  Appears the Simple Machines folks know there is a bug (are several bugs?) with tables.  Fix date unknown.