Author Topic: Do mods have a preference re reporting this?  (Read 12668 times)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
Re: Do mods have a preference re reporting this?
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
Thanks @arebelspy. I  miss chatting with you on forums or st a camp. My spelling and quality of posts as anywhere has taken a deep dive from having one baby. and you're outnumbered! Did the giant house thing happen?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2020, 05:57:24 AM »
Thanks @arebelspy. I  miss chatting with you on forums or st a camp. My spelling and quality of posts as anywhere has taken a deep dive from having one baby. and you're outnumbered! Did the giant house thing happen?

I miss chatting with you, and many others, as well.

It did happen, and all the joys of home ownership that goes along with that. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

JohnGalt

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2020, 01:08:38 PM »
The forums back in 2013-2014 were much different than they are today, for example.

Those were fun times :) 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »
I think those graphs might be incorrect because, if I remember correctly, a lot of users were deleted several years ago. At the time there were problems with the forum crashing, and it was suggested that everyone who had no posts? less than five posts? be deleted to increase the speed of the forum. This worked remarkably well.

See remarks above.  The discrepancy is with DDoS attacks, and the server problems ha to do with this plus the hosting IIRC.  While deleting non-posting members was discussed, it did not happen.  As I’ve outlined, there remains over 9k members with zero posts, many of them members since 2012 or 2013.  About 2/3rds of the total members have less than five posts.

It actually did happen. Was a couple years ago, don't remember when. The deletions were based on people with no posts AND who hadn't logged in in a certain time frame (1 year? 2 maybe?). This was to avoid deleting accounts of people who logged in to lurk, but not post. The accounts with 0 posts now must have been newly created since then, or at the time had been on recently enough to not be deleted.

The forum in question is linked to a podcast that started airing in late 2016, and is high quality enough to have been recommended in two recent major media outlet articles on diverse voices in the personal finance space (NYT and Forbes). It isn't hard to find if that is something you are interested in. I think the fact that the person who runs it has never actively recruited people from here speaks to their integrity and demonstrates that they never intended to poach people from this community.

Can you give us anything more to go on?

Oh My Dollar.

The quality and contributions of its founder, and the people who post there now, are top notch. In particular, there were a group of ladies (Oro, MJ, GDog, Ducky, Happier@H, planejane, and many more) that add a lot of spirit and amazing energy.

It is sad not hearing them over here any more, but I completely get the desire to be in a smaller group with more compatible opinions. The forums back in 2013-2014 were much different than they are today, for example.

I personally would enjoy myself much more over there in terms of social aspects, if I had time for any forums these days. Alas, with three kids, time is limited, and my participation there, here, or anywhere, is pretty low.

I am still here @arebelspy!  Mostly (like 99%) in the journals section.  Off topic goes toxic too quickly (as you mods know better than anyone), and some of the other threads feel repetitive.

I am also somewhat active in OMD. But no journaling.  Posting photos is so much easier, other things are better here.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »
Aw, thanks for the compliment ars! I just posted a long-overdue journal update if you're curious how a giraffe rides a bicycle. Hope to see you again in Seattle or at camp once travel is safe!

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2020, 09:36:55 PM »
I have definitely brought a dead thread back to life, especially when I was new and just scrolling through everything, but it was with something I wanted to say, not "This reminds me of this interesting blog post" and then linked to my buddy's blog about making gluten free cookies.

www.GlutenFreedomAtLastWithChrisFriendWhoDidNotAskHimForHelpPromotingOnline.org

It's a non-profit. You should check it out.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2020, 05:06:18 AM »
I think all GF blogs are nonprofitable

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!