Author Topic: Do mods actually remove entire threads when asked?  (Read 2937 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Do mods actually remove entire threads when asked?
« on: January 30, 2017, 08:38:27 PM »
Today  I saw two references to removing thread at the 0P's request.

Is that done here? I ask because it seems odd that any posts I, for instance, make, then go poof when the OP decides he/she wants the thread deleted.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:23:20 PM by iris lily »

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Do mods actually remove entire threads when asked?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:43:45 PM »
Mod Note: We will in extreme circumstances, however, usually, we will lock a thread instead.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:56:06 PM »
Used to be anyone could delete any thread they started, without even asking a mod, I believe. They removed that ability due partially to the issue you mention.

Journals are the area where mods are more liberal with deletion requests.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »
Used to be anyone could delete any thread they started, without even asking a mod, I believe. They removed that ability due partially to the issue you mention.

ok, that makes sense with jornals.. i also understand that there are special circumstances when persnal informations n may be out on a thread, and the OP decides against having  it out there in the webiverse.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »

ok, that makes sense with jornals.. i also understand that there are special circumstances when persnal informations n may be out on a thread, and the OP decides against having  it out there in the webiverse.

Where we sometimes run into problems is when a post has sensitive information in it and it has been quoted so many times that it would be a huge undertaking to delete every mention. Usually, if that is the case and it doesn't add real value to the community we will consider deleting it.

But there are case studies and such that Op's have asked us to delete because they don't like the answers they get. For those cases, we say you are welcome to go in and delete your own posts, but we won't remove the thread.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!