Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 509444 times)

superone!

• Stubble
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
Teaching a university course two nights per week - $10K per semester.

I'm really envious. My adjuncting gig is only $6800 per semester to teach two courses. Damn.

My full-time rate is around 6K per class. I know, my salary sucks. I will be leaving soon for more pay.

I made $2,200 per class adjuncting. Mmhm. Go English!

Where did you find the jobs?  I did it as part-time work (when unemployed in my traditional field) for 1.5 years, but it was in person during the workday.  I'd like to find an online gig I could do at home or at least an evening one.

Mine is in person and during the work day. As such, it isn't really a side-gig so much as one of two part time jobs with which I cobble together a living.

But there are lots of online Universities cropping up. The pay isn't great, but I've heard okay things about Ashford University.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
My side gig for the past few months has been doing Young Living Essential Oils.  Yes, MLM, but not a pyramid.  I don't buy product, keep stock, etc.  I love and use the oils myself and several friends/family have also decided to do the same.  Nothing "get rich quick" but a few hundred dollars a month (in money, not products) is awesome.  The friend I bought from to start is doing about 4-5k/mo, which I don't expect to ever do, but some people do.

Have done a little mystery shopping but obviously doesn't bring in much.  Oil change + $15 a while ago.  Paid dinner out and valet parking.  Not bad for the benefits if you need/like them.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2014, 05:24:31 AM »
I'm slowly maturing a side-gig of doing programming on the side.  cFIREsim, a glorified giant web form, is all fun and good for the FI crowd... but I'm trying to learn how to make an online game!  I really just want to make an online game like risk, with newer programming languages (javascript/canvas).   It's slow going, as I'm not a programmer by trade... just by hobby.

Hopefully one day programming will bring in actual money :)

Were you in engineering or math in school?  I'd love to learn how to program but it seems so daunting coming from a totally different field.  How did you get started?

My view on programming is that most of it isn't so much mathematical, its more a thought process.  There is a lot of logic in there, but not terribly difficult maths.  I took classes in grade 12, and did an IT degree so I can't comment precisely on getting started however, the way I would suggest tackling it is perhaps to purchase a text book that goes through the fundamentals of some programming language (such as the one bo_knows suggests.  This should give you the basics of what an array is, what loops are, and if/else statements.

Otherwise maybe there are some local basic courses in programming?

I would then think of some small-medium sized project that you want to do and try to program it.  In the process of taking on creating this program you will hopefully learn a lot more about programming.  If you vaguely know what you want to do, you then can search for it on google (or your preferred search engine).

For example, in python you want to connect to a Postgres database type in to your search engine "python connect to postgres database" there is usually some useful results.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
I illustrate (and also write, but it rides the coat-tails of illustration, financially). Currently most of the income goes on business expenses, but for the last three years that has included international travel to a conference which is also my holiday for a year. So I don't have to budget for travel from my main income.

I used to translate as well, which was decent money for short translations, but increasingly required too much time and risk. I was not keeping up my education, professional indemnity insurance would be more than the income, the main category of translations was possibly a conflict of interest with the new day job, and the deadlines usually interfered with illustration deadlines. So I stopped.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
Met a guy over the weekend who buys fresh caught fish at the Carolina coast and delivers it to restaurants and locals here in the mountains of Virginia. Its a lot of driving, of course, but it seems to be working out for him. He does one trip a week, so it could work as a side gig. For him I think it's more his main thing, but he also works a few days a week pouring beer at a local brewery.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2014, 08:09:29 PM »
I picked up a second contract doing similar work to what I already do, but where the luster has worn off my main job, this new one is fresh and I am highly respected in it.  It makes me feel good to do it (because I'm appreciated) and is about another 10-20 hours per week on top of the 40-60 hours I work at my main job.  It's also helping me justify some of the upgrades I want to do around the house (install fancy closet, get someone else to paint my house, etc). 

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
I play in a somewhat lucrative music outfit most weekends.  We do things "by the books" so all expenses get written off on taxes at the end of the year.  The hourly rate still sucks, but it's a fun hobby that at worst breaks even and usually puts a few bucks in the kitty.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: June 23, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »
As a side gig, I've made about $5,000 the last 12 months on Elance, doing mostly researching, data mining, and other pretty easy tasks.  Most of the work on that site goes to people making $2-3 bucks an hour in the Mid East, but the key for me was putting a bunch of work in the beginning towards finding 1-2 good clients that are willing to pay more for higher quality work. 

nrsr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
As a side gig, I've made about $5,000 the last 12 months on Elance, doing mostly researching, data mining, and other pretty easy tasks.  Most of the work on that site goes to people making $2-3 bucks an hour in the Mid East, but the key for me was putting a bunch of work in the beginning towards finding 1-2 good clients that are willing to pay more for higher quality work.

Could you tell us a bit more on this? Which jobs/clients to look for, which ones to avoid?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #259 on: June 25, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »
Thanks for the discussion on Leapforce.  I passed all three tests and started my work.  Looks to be a pretty good way to earn a little more cash for my photography hobby!

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: June 25, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »
I'm an UberX driver. I didn't sign up to do it because of the money, but more cause I wanted to check it out. It was fun the few times I've done it, but I live about 45 minutes north of Denver, and I have to drive to Denver in order to be busy and make any money. Almost not worth it unless I did it all day. One thing I like about being a driver is you can drive whenever you want as as often as you want. So if something were to happen and I lost my job, it would at least be a good way to keep an income while looking for a new job. Otherwise it would be a great way to make extra money in the event that we had to use up our emergency fund. Because you need a newer car in order to become a driver, its probably not for most people on this forum.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: July 06, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
I play poker online.  It is not nearly as lucrative as it was 5+ years ago but I have made a consistent healthy profit every year since 2005.  The problem was I used to blow it all on stuff :)

P938LVR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Fiverr
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
I used to have an etsy store but now I don't. I wish I had time for a side job right now but etsy just wasn't as lucrative as I wanted it to be for the amount of time I put into it...

giggles

• Stubble
    • Kiva - Change the world with a $25 loan
« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
Tagged

Sasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
I deliver a local newspaper for 1 hour twice a week. I won't get rich with this job ($45 a month). But I basically get paid to take a long walk in my neighborhood. I love it.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
I've just started teaching kids' martial arts classes.  I'm getting paid to exercise.  It's great!

JGB

• Stubble
    • Grinderschool Poker Training
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
Since 2007, I have run a subscription-based website at http://www.Grinderschool.com which provides strategy for beating low stakes online poker through daily videos. By the time all of our instructors are paid, the site doesn't make a ton of money, but it is enough to have helped weather since hard times and add a few percentage points to our savings rate when times are good.

Pinkie Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
Teaching music lessons

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
During the holiday season, i work with a friend who hangs christmas lights for people at their homes. Mostly larger homes, for people with the money or that and most likely afraid of the high roofs. Very light work and enjoyable.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »
This is an awesome thread! I've gotten a lot of great ideas from it. Thanks!!

I have a few gigs on Fiverr. Right now I'm netting a bit over $50 a month from it... I'm 'guaranteed' $48 every three weeks from my regular clients (assuming they continue with my work - I haven't had any complaints yet!), and I hope to pull in a handful of one timer gigs. Assuming I get no new gigs next month, I think I'll be pulling in $70 or so in August. This is for work I do in minutes during my lunch break or while I enjoy my morning cup of coffee (when I am otherwise not a functional human being). It takes a little while to get settled and you have to be a bit flexible, but if you find a good niche type job at something you're already good at, it can be worth it.

I'm trying to figure out a way to sell my homemade fudge without putting so much extra work into it. If anyone has made some extra money selling some homemade cooked/baked goods, I'd love for any advice your willing to give!

P938LVR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Fiverr
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2014, 07:48:27 PM »

I have a few gigs on Fiverr. Right now I'm netting a bit over $50 a month from it... I'm 'guaranteed' $48 every three weeks from my regular clients (assuming they continue with my work - I haven't had any complaints yet!), and I hope to pull in a handful of one timer gigs. Assuming I get no new gigs next month, I think I'll be pulling in $70 or so in August. This is for work I do in minutes during my lunch break or while I enjoy my morning cup of coffee (when I am otherwise not a functional human being). It takes a little while to get settled and you have to be a bit flexible, but if you find a good niche type job at something you're already good at, it can be worth it.

I'm trying to figure out a way to sell my homemade fudge without putting so much extra work into it. If anyone has made some extra money selling some homemade cooked/baked goods, I'd love for any advice your willing to give!

Sell your fudge on etsy! It probably wont do well in the summer months lol but winter when its cold I am sure it would be easy to ship. Lots of people sell baked goods on there. Mostly, cupcakes and cookies so your fudge might have a niche market! Good luck!

P938LVR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Fiverr
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »

I'm new to fiverr. What sort of things can you do to make money? Thanks

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
P938LVR - I've actually looked at etsy! There's quite a bit of fudge up there already. I'm also not 100% sure how it would ship. Something I need to test soon.

As far as what makes money on Fiverr... I personally create and manage Pinterest accounts for people with different types of businesses. I get a lot of one time gigs from smaller shops like etsy owners and I currently manage the accounts for four different online businesses. This came from the idea that I spend far too much time on Pinterest anyway (that site really can get addicting), so I might as well get paid for it. It took a while to get to where I am now, but business as been steadily increasing. Find something that you like doing (because it can get tiring quickly) and something unique. You can ship things too (and charge for shipping), so if you make little knick knacks you wanna sell for cheap you can!

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »

Check into Farmer's Markets and Art/Craft shows in your area.  My kids (and the dh too) LOVE to buy fudge from a guy who is at our FM every Saturday since I only make fudge at Christmas time.  You could also look into contracting with specialty boutiques in your area to carry prepackaged boxes of your product. 

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
I'm doing clinical studies.

Selling my body for money, and helping other people (and perhaps myself too).

Pahoda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »
If you like to write, textbroker.com pays by the word for content.  Can make a couple of cents a word or $15-$20 or so an hour from home if you are a fast thinker and writer.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
Last year I started teaching at a homeschool coop, one hour a week. I dont net much money, but I save hundreds of dollars because my kids get reduced or free classes all day.

I used to teach classes on cloth diapering. There were a couple of places I did them at, a couple times a year.

I also babysit sometimes, for money or as a swap.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »
I have a vending machine that nets about 150 or so per month.  Bought the machine through craigslist (950.00) and installed it in our office building, which has no other source of junk food.  I broke even pretty quickly and spend about a half hour per week refilling it, 2 hours per month shopping.  There's a school in the building so I put stuff like calculators and pencils in there too.  I try not to profit from the school supplies, though. This is pretty easy money and it helps to pay for my restaraunt habits

SingleMomDebt

Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2014, 12:17:46 AM »
I'm new to fiverr. What sort of things can you do to make money? Thanks

I rec'd a great anime drawing of myself from fiverr. Used it as my Avatar for a long time.
If you're an artist...

@Lis - great idea. Pinterest is really addicting. Lol. I might give fiverr a try w my SM skills. I actually wasnt sure people still used fiverr anymore. But lately I have heard it reaurfacing in the media again.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2014, 06:40:22 AM »
I sold homemade cheesecakes when I was in college. I walked into mom and pop diners with a cake and told them I'd like to supply their cheesecakes. Response was always no. So I told them that THIS cheesecake was a gift, that they could do whatever they wanted with it and that people would be willing to spend 3.50-4.50 on a small slice. (Long time ago).
Then I said I'd be back the next day to pick up my dish.  The next day, I'd usually get the business AND the business owner usually paid me for the first cake too even though it was a gift.  I never had the right facilities for any kind of volume, so the hours were too long due to cooking limitations. Not sure I actually made much money on that, but I was able to sell as much as I was capable of producing.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
I've been freelance editing since I left my full-time job a year ago. Some has been with my old company, some with another company that contracts with some big publishers. I got the latter job because I found their help wanted ad on indeed.com, applied, and took their editing test. Everything is done electronically, communications are by email, payment goes directly to my bank account. Between that and giving private music lessons plus a few performing gigs here and there, I'm earning a bit over $1,000 a month.

I could be doing more editing if I wanted to, but I'm limiting it to 20 hours per week or less because I don't want to spend that much time on it. The teaching is more lucrative per hour than editing, plus I enjoy it a lot more, but I haven't tried very hard to find more students.

Mike2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Puma Plow Productions
« Reply #281 on: August 02, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »
I run a You Tube channel.  It is relatively new but starting to make money and hopefully it will keep growing.

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: August 05, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »
I sold homemade cheesecakes when I was in college. I walked into mom and pop diners with a cake and told them I'd like to supply their cheesecakes. Response was always no. So I told them that THIS cheesecake was a gift, that they could do whatever they wanted with it and that people would be willing to spend 3.50-4.50 on a small slice. (Long time ago).
Then I said I'd be back the next day to pick up my dish.  The next day, I'd usually get the business AND the business owner usually paid me for the first cake too even though it was a gift.  I never had the right facilities for any kind of volume, so the hours were too long due to cooking limitations. Not sure I actually made much money on that, but I was able to sell as much as I was capable of producing.

The main thing that scares me with this is health regulations.
There are so many concerning food, how do you navigate that?

I make kick-ass dessert breads and other baked goods.  But all the regulations about the kitchen having to be outside your residence, "properly" stored ingredients, etc seem so strict.  And costly if you get it wrong.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: August 05, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »

One of the things I need to do is get over my fear of talking to people. I hate it when people try to sell me things, and I hated selling things at my old job (was not part of the job description). BUT that's just something I need to get past if I want to sell my stuff. Which I do :)

And Elyse, I know, it can be a bit of a nightmare. In my state, fudge is one of the foods that you are allowed to make in your personal kitchen, but still, I worry abut the liability. I recently inquired about renting a stand in a local shopping mall, and they would require me to have all sorts of insurance, seek town approval for food items, etc.

I was thinking about posting on Craigslist, but that makes me nervous too.

boognish

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: August 05, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
If you like to write, textbroker.com pays by the word for content.  Can make a couple of cents a word or $15-$20 or so an hour from home if you are a fast thinker and writer.
Anyone do this? Perusing the website and it seems worth a shot. Can get my brain juices flowing and make a few bucks.

ThirdTimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: August 05, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
Two side gigs, although I'm not doing either right now.

1) Tutoring. High school/college level math/science and test prep. If you have high standardized test scores, you can make extremely good hourly rates doing test prep tutoring. I was making $45/hr working for a high-end test-prep company; the parents were paying the company $95/hr. I was working with a couple of students per week and having them meet me right by my office when I'd normally be finishing up work, so there was no extra commute (which can really cut into your hourly rate when you're biking or driving somewhere for a one-hour session). I've definitely considered building up a client base and doing this independently 5-10 hours a week as a post-retirement income stream.

2) AirBNB--renting out our apartment when we we're out of town. We paid for a good chunk of the costs of a trip to Japan by planning the trip to coincide with a major tourist event in our city and renting out the apartment while we were gone.

Astromarine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: August 05, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
I run a You Tube channel.  It is relatively new but starting to make money and hopefully it will keep growing.

I'd like to know more about this. Before my kid was born, I was doing youtube, though purely as a hobby (I was playing videogames anyway, might as well do it to an audience). It's *really* hard to break through to where you can actually make any real money, so I'm really curious what you do.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »
I have the best side job ever and am retired from the best real job ever. Was with the FDNY for over 20 years. Now I'm a union stagehand. As we speak I am sitting on the side of the stage as Jackson brown entertains the crowd. Next up is john forgerty. This job rocks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:11:44 PM by viper155 »

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2014, 06:40:59 AM »
Anyone do this? Perusing the website and it seems worth a shot. Can get my brain juices flowing and make a few bucks.

I'm curious too.  I think I'm about to sign up -- it seems pretty legit, but hard to see what the writing assignments are like without registering. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2014, 11:40:59 PM »
I have several side gig ideas when I FIRE. Each one individually is small, but combined together may nicely supplement my stash.

1. Become a host for my neighborhood's CSA. Basically sit around for 3 hours one weeknight while people come to pick up their share and I get free produce.

2. Work at my friend's kayak rental company and lead excursions ($50/trip).

3. Lead other kayak trips around the bay at new upcoming rental places.

4. Work at the science museum part-time. Might be able to get health benefits.

5. Lead ski trips. Free ski trip.

6. Math tutoring.

7. Develop artistic skills. At some point in the very far future, find some little niche and travel to art festivals around the country selling the art. Doubles as a travel activity.

P938LVR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Fiverr
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »

I'm curious too.  I think I'm about to sign up -- it seems pretty legit, but hard to see what the writing assignments are like without registering.

I used to write for textbroker. The writing in easy but it doesn't pay enough to be worth my time really. I felt like I spend so much time researching some things that I got bored of writing the articles. There are several different levels of writing that you can do and you have to submit a writing sample in order for them to rate you.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »
I spread the word about auto safety. You'd be amazed how many fewer deaths we'd have each year if people simply didn't drink or speed (20,000+).

Don't forget the DAMN CELL PHONES behind the wheel!! Gawd almighty, I can't stand it................texting and driving, yakking and driving - and because they have a cell phone in one hand, they can't use their damn blinkers!  I swear to my husband this will probably be how I die - as the result of some inconsiderate, selfish, person who just HAS to use their cell phone while driving.

Yes, that's a growing problem, unfortunately. I'm looking at a couple of these cases right now...drivers texting or Facebooking while on the road just before veering into oncoming traffic.

I am terrified, I mean REALLY terrified to drive a 2-lane road (one lane going each direction) for this very reason - too many people coming at me do not have BOTH hands on the wheel and are NOT focusing and watching where they are going - and the chances of them coming left of center and killing me is increasing every day. 

Seriously, isn't this a no-brainer, folks?  I will never understand this.  PUT THE DAMN PHONES AWAY IN THE CAR!   To me, it's like every time you have your hands on that cell phone while behind the wheel, you are "knocking on death's door!"  And some day, that door is going to OPEN!" 

And if you are caught doing this with children in the car, I think you should have your ass hauled off to jail for child endangering, because it's not the children who are stupid idiots, it's their parents!!!  And talk about setting a horrible example for our children!!!   Parents these days are HORRIBLE HORRIBLE examples for future drivers. 

Gawd almighty, can you tell this subject raises my blood pressure???  Would be interested to hear what you find in your case studies, CarSafetyGuy.  I pray something is done to bring this outrageous behavior to a stop sooner rather than later - so many lives could be saved.

I understand your stress, and unfortunately, we don't have the willpower to make many changes in this arena yet. People just don't take auto safety seriously in this country, all the way from the individual to the societal and governmental levels.

Back to the thread topic, still working on blogging (our children insist on going to college for some odd reason). Earnings have gone up significantly in the last couple of months, but still got a ways to go.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2014, 07:38:49 PM »
I do photography on the side and shoot family/couples. I charge $250 for a session and make quite a bit more on prints. It makes a decent side income and its something I love doing. My day job is a software engineer.

At one point I ran a pet photography business. It was starting to do really well, bringing in at least few hundred to a thousand dollars each week. I closed it down before we moved overseas but it's probably something I could start up again. Day job is Aerospace Engineer.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »

I have a vending machine that nets about 150 or so per month.  Bought the machine through craigslist (950.00) and installed it in our office building, which has no other source of junk food.  I broke even pretty quickly and spend about a half hour per week refilling it, 2 hours per month shopping.  There's a school in the building so I put stuff like calculators and pencils in there too.  I try not to profit from the school supplies, though. This is pretty easy money and it helps to pay for my restaraunt habits

Genius.  Did you need permits?  How about the blessing from the building management, was it difficult to get?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »

I'm a professional writer and editor (meaning: I make my living at it). This makes me die inside a little.

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: August 15, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
In order of most to least profitable when summed over the last several years:
churning credit card and checking account bonuses, producing the annual inventory spreadsheet for a company I used to work for, buying/selling items on eBay and Amazon, low-stakes live poker, monitoring detention at my school, officiating weddings.

I dream of a time when the sum of all my side hustles completely pay for our expenses.  I'm about an order of magnitude away at this point.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #296 on: August 15, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »

Genius.  Did you need permits?  How about the blessing from the building management, was it difficult to get?

I needed to get a tax license from the state, for 20.00, but that was it.  They don't require much when you own only one machine.  The building is an office condo, and I own a unit or two.  I asked the board if it was okay with them, and away I went.  The building clearly needed a vending machine, and we talked about it for about ten years before I finally did it.  I would guess that there's a lot of small or mid size buildings in need of a coke machine or candy machine.  If I wasn't so lazy, I think I could probably find one or two of them and increase my income.  It really is pretty easy.  Even shopping is easy, since I order the stuff online and just pick it up from Sams.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #297 on: August 15, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »
"Earnings have gone up significantly in the last couple of months, but still got a ways to go."

Hey Carsafetyguy.... What exactly are the earnings on a blog like yours?  What is the potential?  I like all the info it gives, and you are an excellent writer... But is it worth your effort? 

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2014, 06:47:26 AM »
This is a really interesting thread. I'm prohibited at the moment from working at anything other than my full-time job (as a secretary - have a silly clause in contract, technically even volunteering work wouldn't be allowed and I've had smart comments from a few managers about singing in a choir, too - yes, I'm working at getting out of that company!) but have just sent off my application to do the translator's exam run by the Chamber of Commerce/Industry in October, which I've been studying for over the last year. Technically, as the field is almost entirely unregulated, I could just start working as a translator, but, this being Germany, having the piece of paper saying you're qualified is never a bad idea. Also, with that I can apply to the courts to do official translations, for example, of birth certs etc. and I will be able to join the national association of translators, which in turn will offer advantages like reduced insurance rates. I actually did help out a friend recently who had too much work on and it was really nice to do a few hours work and then see the cash in my hand. Also a good way to build up my confidence as she double-checked it before sending it off to the client. When I find a new job, one of my conditions will be that there is no similar clause in any contract I sign. It's very frustrating to feel like there's nothing you can do to bring in a little extra, even if cutting down on spending does help a lot with finances.

I used to sell Tupperware years ago - was terrible at getting people to agree to hold parties but once I did, I sold quite a lot. All you need is to be very enthusiastic about the product and I love Tupperware so that was never a problem. I basically just did it to finance my Tupperware habit and was very bad at keeping track of money coming in and going out but I did make a bit more than I spent. I might start doing this again in the future but it depends on where I end up. I found out recently that there's a severe lack of Tupper ladies in my state but since I hope to use my next job to also move it will depend on whether my new home is the same or not. At this stage I very nearly have enough Tupperware so other than buying new products for my kit, I'd be more focused on making money.

I just had a look at elance, which a few people mentioned and that looks interesting, too. I really enjoy typing up dictations so transcribing sounds like something I could definitely look into. Would anyone who does that care to share more details?

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2014, 08:36:16 AM »
The Hub's side hustle is being in the Nat Guard.  It has two advantages:  First, he does a job similar to the one he does as a civilian so there is some synergy.  Second, his boss is legally required to let him do it and give him time for it if needed.  The big disadvantage is that if you aren't careful you can find yourself in a war zone.  This hasn't happened to him, but did happen to the guy he shared the job with. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!