Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 509437 times)

cjtorkelson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #650 on: April 18, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
When I was in high school I used to make a little extra cash by doing some manual labor for my grandfather's friends such as trimming hedges, branches, and things like that. I didn't mind it and it brought in some pretty good money. Recently I have also reffed some little kids basketball tournaments which I would do just for fun so the money that I bring in is a good bonus factor.

PhoenixHeat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2018, 06:34:40 AM »
I know.... sad thing isn't it? I am very thankful for those that do work for low wages, without them, prices would be sky high. I just have no clue why anyone would work for that low of a wage. In the US, no one HAS to work for that low wage. I tip great when we go out to eat..... when I pay for gas if it doesn't hold it all I give the remainder to the clerk.... Yesterday I gave a dryer to a lady that makes $40 a day.... I try to show my appreciation and keep those folks going but my brain does not compute working for such low pay. I'd be the guy that never had a job if I chose to work for that low pay. Without the low wage earners I wouldn't be able to make the money I do and the same goes for other business owners. So..... hopefully atleast 1 MORE of you will take the step outside your comfort zone and start your own business or get a j o b making more money. Yes, it's scary at first but you just have to take that 1st step just like everything else in life. Am I a hard ass? No, LIFE is a hard ass. I just don't sugar coat it for you like others do.

Nothing you wrote makes sense, it’s just arrogance and cruelty. Wonderful, you think you’re better than most people good for you. From your attitude, it’s clear to me you’re not a very happy person and there are lots of people making far less than you, making $20/hr or less that are far happier than you. I’m sure they’d pity you, like you pity them.  Except they wouldn’t waste their time, they have better things to do.

I am assuming your comments are in response to SC's previous comment alone. If so, I re read his post and dont see the cruelty in there. It might even be a stretch for the arrogance as well. I appreciate his nudge to others to start a business or get a job making more money and how he acknowledges its scary at first but you have to make the jump.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2018, 07:23:00 AM »
I worked PT for a local nonprofit for almost four years, doing miscellaneous work in writing, editing, program management, event planning, and volunteer coordination. It was a small office, so I was a jack-of-all-trades. I netted an extra ~$300/month.

I recently quit to focus on getting through school but it was a good gig while it lasted. Plus, I (significantly) expanded my skill set for when I'm job-hunting, and met some awesome people through non-intentional networking!

So here's a fun update. Three years later, after still volunteering for events off and on for this NPO (like, once a year) after I quit, they opened up my old PT job to be FT.

Guess who's starting that new FT job soon for an organization they love that pays $10K more than her current job with better benefits and an infinitely better commute?

Two thumbs up if you guessed midweststache :)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
I worked PT for a local nonprofit for almost four years, doing miscellaneous work in writing, editing, program management, event planning, and volunteer coordination. It was a small office, so I was a jack-of-all-trades. I netted an extra ~$300/month.

I recently quit to focus on getting through school but it was a good gig while it lasted. Plus, I (significantly) expanded my skill set for when I'm job-hunting, and met some awesome people through non-intentional networking!

So here's a fun update. Three years later, after still volunteering for events off and on for this NPO (like, once a year) after I quit, they opened up my old PT job to be FT.

Guess who's starting that new FT job soon for an organization they love that pays $10K more than her current job with better benefits and an infinitely better commute?

Two thumbs up if you guessed midweststache :)

Huge congratulations, @midweststache !  👍👍

bendixso123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #654 on: May 16, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »
I started tutoring iOS app development on Wyzant. I have seen other tutors charging as much as $60/hr, but I'm charging about half of that starting out, since I don't have many student ratings.

So far, it's all of the fun of software development with pretty much none of the B.S. You only have to commit to a few hours at a time, the clients are usually quite gracious, and I think it helps your skills to get better at communicating the core ideas around programming a particular way.

This is one of my little side-hustle experiments for the year. It'll be interesting to see how far I can go with the hourly rate. I would assume the market tops out somewhere, but it's hard to tell this early on.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #655 on: May 16, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
I started selling supplemental/income insurance to coworkers. In my industry it's pretty much a god given right that you buy this or you put yourself at a huge risk.  Anyway long story short I average over $1,000 a month and pretty much don't do anything other then send an email to someone that wants to buy insurance. It's all word a mouth advertising so people are banging down my door to sign up.  Of course it helps that we are half the price of our nearest competition.  I've been doing it for over 5 years now.  Funny thing is I was actually offered a position full time with the insurance provider, but I'd have to move to a different state.  I prefer to keep things status quo and keep my day job, but I'm not going to turn down an extra $1,000 a month that's for sure!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #656 on: May 28, 2018, 04:01:22 PM »
Friday I participated in an in-person study at a lab.  I made $125 on a visa gift card for my time.  I have another study to do in person Thursday after work.   I’ve been looking at my local Craigslist page, under Volunteers for these opportunities.  I think if you live in an area with a lot of universities this could be a pretty good moneymaker. 

Neo

• Stubble
« Reply #657 on: June 02, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
How did you get into this? I had an ex-colleague who did something similar and I always wondered about it.

I started selling supplemental/income insurance to coworkers. In my industry it's pretty much a god given right that you buy this or you put yourself at a huge risk.  Anyway long story short I average over $1,000 a month and pretty much don't do anything other then send an email to someone that wants to buy insurance. It's all word a mouth advertising so people are banging down my door to sign up.  Of course it helps that we are half the price of our nearest competition.  I've been doing it for over 5 years now.  Funny thing is I was actually offered a position full time with the insurance provider, but I'd have to move to a different state.  I prefer to keep things status quo and keep my day job, but I'm not going to turn down an extra $1,000 a month that's for sure!

Antonn Park

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Blue Flower Editing
« Reply #658 on: June 03, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
I used to do editing as a side job, and now it's my full time job. Dog walking is a great opportunity to earn cash, or pet sitting in general. I once sat for a turtle and was paid $25 cash a visit. This wasn't your ordinary turtle, though. He needed to be bathed in order to "poop" and then to feed him, I had to rub his left leg. Yeah...

JustJayMusic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #659 on: June 08, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
My side gig is music, I have in the past used the proceeds to buy more instruments and equipment, now I've been focused to save/invest the money I make.

I play solo guitar for restaurants and clubs, sell my original music, play parties, host open mics, etc.

Some years have done really well, but gigs are feast or famine . . .

But, it's a lot of work, fun, yes, but long nights, heavy equipment. So always looking for something I can do at home maybe in front of a computer.

Thanks!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #660 on: June 09, 2018, 12:42:56 AM »
I just worked as a polling official for the provincial election held this week.  My experience:

Day one (two weeks before): training (3 hours)
Day two (night before election): set up polling station (4 hours)
Day three (Election Day): serve voters, pack up paperwork and equipment, clean up (15 hours)

I'd say half the team was retirees and the other half were people with flexible jobs (one lady used lieu time to do the work) or students.

It's only sporadically available but with three levels of government and occasional by-elections it does come up from time to time.  Fifteen hours is a long day, though, and we were so busy that breaks to eat or use the washroom were hard to come by.

avocado lime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #661 on: June 09, 2018, 09:10:24 AM »
I'm surprised more thrifters aren't making $$$ on reselling apps! I started selling clothes on Poshmark after finding a lot of high end clothing that wasn't in my size or my style. I've been doing it a few months and while I love reselling clothes I've thrifted I'm not actually that big a fan of Poshmark itself (tries to hard to be a social app) but it seems like the best of the reselling apps so far. My first sale was a pair of Nili Lotan pants I bought for $6 at a Goodwill in Houston and sold for $88.

I also overcame my fear of "the bins" and now go regularly. The bins are the goodwill outlets and they are an experience like no other!

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #662 on: June 23, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »
I make money as mobile notary public.  I go to medical offices, business offices, and homes to notarize documents.

My state allows good fees per signature notarized and per person receiving the oath.  ($10 per signature and $10 per person given the oath.)  Plus I add a travel fee.

I used to do home loan refinance work when it was it paid $150 per job for 2 hours of work right before the big crash in 2008.  Now "signing agent" work pays $75 a job or less and they want a lot of secretarial work, like faxing or scanning every single page (of a 100+ page pkg) before shipping to title.  Not worth my time.

But notary work is fun as every appointment is different.  I never know who I will meet and what their story might be.

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #663 on: June 25, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »
Here's one that I actually just started last week! It meets all of the criteria, because I've now made a total of 36 cents on it. A completely negligible amount, but it IS technically bringing in extra cash :-p

I do research engineering for a living, and a huge part of that job is data analysis. I collaborate with laboratory testers to perform experimental studies, then they send me the data and I figure out what it means, and how others can use it to make decisions. Being faster at data analysis both makes me better than my competition, because I can do a more thorough study at lower cost, and happier, because I find digging through thousands of spreadsheets incredibly tedious. So I started writing computer programs to do it for me. It's incredible; I can spend a day writing a program, and 5 minutes analyzing a data set, instead of a month manually doing all of the data analysis.

I've started a side company focused around this as a service. I offer consulting services either teaching people to do this themselves, or writing programs that they can use. With a net revenue of 36 cents so far, clearly I haven't found any clients yet. I also write a blog teaching people the basics of how to do this with ads on the site (There's the 36 cents!), and hope to eventually compile blog posts into books to sell.

Right now my main challenge is traffic. Since the site has existed for less than one month, and I only announced it on Thursday, obviously it isn't getting much traffic yet. So I'm creating more content, experimenting with different ways of getting the word out there, learning about search engine optimization, etc. Exciting times!

Here's a link, in case anybody is curious and wants to check it out: https://www.1000x-faster.com/blog/

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #664 on: June 25, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
I bought a dump trailer for my truck. When ever I need some extra cash it is easy to book a bunch of stump grinding jobs or dump runs. I usually just walk around the neighbourhood pounding on doors that have stumps in their front yard until I have booked $1500-2000 of work then crush it over a weekend. This year I started paying a guy $20 per hour to do the work as I have been a bit to busy with other projects. Paid everything off in one summer three years ago. The standard rate for stumps in our area is $5 per inch but the town over is $8-10 per. Dump runs are $100 per load + dump fees. Can usually do 5-6 per day.

Marketing this way books usually one job every twenty doors I pound on and so I book up a weekend with 4-6 hours of knocking on doors. Thick skin for rejection helps in this department :)

Friends always are always looking to borrow the truck and trailer so they often fill the tank up or buy me alcohol for the use.

In the winter I pull the plates to save on insurance and park the equipment. Have thought about buying a skid steer to do snow removal but am not sure how much work I could win as it seems there is one on every other block in our area.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: June 30, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
I'm not doing this gig, but I recently learned about it and thought I'd share.
People pay good money for someone to clean their decks and pavement with a pressure washer - every 3-5 yrs.
I also learned, that there's a power washer attachment that makes this a lot easier and faster;  the Homelite EZ Clean (possibly others). 
I'm in Wisc, so it could only be a seasonal gig for me, which lowers the ROI. And I'd have to buy a truck or van.  But if I ever have another reason to get a truck or van, I will keep this in mind.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: July 01, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
No need to a truck or van. Get a compact electric power washer and be up front with the customer about you plugging into their electric and water. This plus a garden hose or two and extension cord and you could get going for under $500.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: July 02, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »
I make money as mobile notary public.  I go to medical offices, business offices, and homes to notarize documents.

My state allows good fees per signature notarized and per person receiving the oath.  ($10 per signature and $10 per person given the oath.)  Plus I add a travel fee.

I used to do home loan refinance work when it was it paid $150 per job for 2 hours of work right before the big crash in 2008.  Now "signing agent" work pays $75 a job or less and they want a lot of secretarial work, like faxing or scanning every single page (of a 100+ page pkg) before shipping to title.  Not worth my time.

But notary work is fun as every appointment is different.  I never know who I will meet and what their story might be.

Sounds interesting:) How do you even find clients and do you have the option to accept or decline freely?

overdrive23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #668 on: July 02, 2018, 01:06:40 PM »
If anyone is Facebook savvy, you can go through their FB courses to learn more about ads & then approach small local businesses and offer your services on a % revenue base.

I took it a step further and paid for a FB Ad course but when I'm done I'll be able to make $500+ a month with minimal time investment.

Set up the website (funnel site) to generate leads: maybe an hour
Set up the initial FB ad: maybe another hour
Review the ad every 2-3 days: maybe 10 min each

So if an ad runs for 3 weeks, I've invested about 3hrs of my time and I'll charge back 25-30% of the revenue pulled in. Which; in my case will be in the 600-900 range for 3hrs work :)

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #669 on: July 11, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
If anyone is Facebook savvy, you can go through their FB courses to learn more about ads & then approach small local businesses and offer your services on a % revenue base.

I took it a step further and paid for a FB Ad course but when I'm done I'll be able to make $500+ a month with minimal time investment.

Set up the website (funnel site) to generate leads: maybe an hour
Set up the initial FB ad: maybe another hour
Review the ad every 2-3 days: maybe 10 min each

So if an ad runs for 3 weeks, I've invested about 3hrs of my time and I'll charge back 25-30% of the revenue pulled in. Which; in my case will be in the 600-900 range for 3hrs work :)

Facebook is partnering with community colleges to provide training on how to do this, too: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2018/06/11/facebook-adds-community-colleges-program

Writer_Girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #670 on: July 13, 2018, 06:22:26 AM »
I write, but that's sort of like a second job.  I even make extra money from my writing.  I have gotten paid from appearances and podcasts. My publicists have press kits for me and I have a one sheet available for speaking fees, etc.  I will sometimes speak for free if it's a big enough venue (like Comic Con or a festival).

Another thing I do is medical trials.  One I get a hugely expensive drug free as well as free medical care and other free drugs.  It's easy to fill a prescription, I get soooo many free perks, and i get a $75 check per visit.

In another clinical trial, I just give blood monthly for testing at $75 a pop.

I also do MRI's for $50 a pop.  It helps me stay healthy (I need regular MRI's) and I just pop a benadryl and sleep through the whole thing.  It's a paid nap.

Keep in mind I have a doctor I trust advising me on the safety of these things, but it does make me some extra cash.  And I don't get taxed on clinical trial money.

tag

• Stubble
« Reply #671 on: July 25, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »
Professional Organizer

www.tagorganizing.com

My dream job :)

teagnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #672 on: July 26, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »
What a fun thread to read!

I am a full-time 6th grade teacher and I always take on extra clubs for a little extra money. It's immediately after school and I can pick what I'd like to offer. I've done Legos, coding, board games, Harry Potter, and "history of ___" clubs. I always leave in a pretty good mood on club days. It's not crazy pay but it adds up.

I have one or two kiddos I tutor privately for far too cheap. I'd love to flesh this out, eventually charge more and get a larger clientele but elementary isn't where the spenders are. I could certainly put in some more effort getting the word out. I have been an adjunct instructor at the college some semesters when they need me. That's not at all regular, however. I just hear from them occasionally.

My best side gig, though, is teaching English online. I know others here are doing this too. I have a TESOL Master's (not required but helps booking numbers) and doing these online classes hits the spot. I just adore the students and I'm a morning person anyway. A few hours before going to work and some Friday nights. It's a blast.

bythewall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #673 on: August 19, 2018, 09:27:30 AM »
@Linda_Norway This makes me smile. Did you know that Lithuanians have a verb - grybauti - which essentially means 'go stomping through the forest to find mushrooms'?

https://www.grybai.lt/idomu/kur-kada-ir-kaip-grybauti/ 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #674 on: August 19, 2018, 01:17:40 PM »
@Linda_Norway This makes me smile. Did you know that Lithuanians have a verb - grybauti - which essentially means 'go stomping through the forest to find mushrooms'?

Nice to know. I do that grybauti a lot and it's a nice hobby. Many eastern Europeans here in Norway look for mushrooms.

CubicleWarrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SixSigmaStudyGuide.com
« Reply #675 on: September 07, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
I started a great side gig by accident. I was studying for an exam I needed to take and put all of my notes on a simple wordpress website. And I just kept adding to it, leaving questions for myself, and figuring them out.

After a while Google got a hold of it and others asked me more questions, and I researched and put more answers out. I started with some ads that generated $100/month. Eventually I put a study guide product out. Now I get to earn a substantial amount while helping people progress in their careers!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #676 on: September 07, 2018, 06:46:46 PM »
Does anybody here have a successful YouTube channel?  I’m considering doing some videos on my upcoming surgical procedure because I’ve gotten a lot out of watching others presurgery videos. 

burnedbookmedia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #677 on: September 08, 2018, 04:55:04 AM »
I'm sure it's been covered, but my side gigs include:

Designing t shirts and selling them, or selling the designs to a reseller - Probably gets me an additional £150-250 a month
Selling stock photography from shoots I've worked on - Averages £100 a month (once did £800 but that was a one off)
Retouching photos for social media - £150 a month

I also used to do free voiceover work while at university which I'd love to take up again if I can get paid for it, it was a fun way to earn. Inspiring to read the things you guys get up to!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #678 on: September 08, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »
Designing t shirts and selling them, or selling the designs to a reseller
Do you 'make' the shirts to sell or hire someone to make them?   Where do you sell them?
How would I go about selling designs to a T shirt reseller?

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #679 on: September 09, 2018, 07:11:47 AM »
Designing t shirts and selling them, or selling the designs to a reseller
Do you 'make' the shirts to sell or hire someone to make them?   Where do you sell them?
How would I go about selling designs to a T shirt reseller?

What pricing model do you use for selling those? Is it a flat amount for the design, a royalty for each shirt sold with your design, or a mixed model?

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #680 on: September 13, 2018, 06:36:25 AM »
I sold my consulting firm last year that brought in ~$30k post tax. The investment from the sale brings in a little over half of the money that did without having the 2 am calls from dumbass customers.

Starting a new analytics firm this year. Based on the customers who are signing on and the eventual sale of the product we're developing, 10x income over the old firm is likely within 2 years.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #681 on: September 13, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
I sold my consulting firm last year that brought in ~$30k post tax. The investment from the sale brings in a little over half of the money that did without having the 2 am calls from dumbass customers.

Starting a new analytics firm this year. Based on the customers who are signing on and the eventual sale of the product we're developing, 10x income over the old firm is likely within 2 years.

Congratulations on selling your business.

I am envious.
I've never figured out a way to sell our consulting firm.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #682 on: September 13, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
Today I had my first mushroom picking course for a company on their yearly social day. I gave a presentation and then we went looking for mushrooms in the forest. It was fun to do and nice weather. I got very positive feedback and can us them as a later reference. I also sold one bag of dried mushrooms that I have prepared as a next sidegig.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »
Today I had my first mushroom picking course for a company on their yearly social day. I gave a presentation and then we went looking for mushrooms in the forest. It was fun to do and nice weather. I got very positive feedback and can us them as a later reference. I also sold one bag of dried mushrooms that I have prepared as a next sidegig.

Your mushroom picking stories make me smile every time. I'd love to do (and learn how to do) something like this. I went once in Bosnia with my boyfriend at the time and his aunt and uncle. We had to clear each mushroom with his uncle, who knew what was what. We also weren't allowed to go without his uncle because he knew where the land mine free areas were. I didn't find any good ones (or land mines) but I had a lovely day hiking in the mountains.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #684 on: September 17, 2018, 11:21:49 AM »
Does anybody here have a successful YouTube channel?  I’m considering doing some videos on my upcoming surgical procedure because I’ve gotten a lot out of watching others presurgery videos.

I monetized my youtube channel (sadly 10 years after I was eligible...oops). I was up to $12, when they change their requirements. You now need 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours viewed annually to monetize.
It takes consistent work to get to that.

That said, I still post on an irregular basis and like getting comments from viewers.  You could do the videos, but I wouldn't expect much to come from it unless you continue to do so.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: September 22, 2018, 01:59:33 PM »

Your mushroom picking stories make me smile every time. I'd love to do (and learn how to do) something like this. I went once in Bosnia with my boyfriend at the time and his aunt and uncle. We had to clear each mushroom with his uncle, who knew what was what. We also weren't allowed to go without his uncle because he knew where the land mine free areas were. I didn't find any good ones (or land mines) but I had a lovely day hiking in the mountains.

Thanks, it is nice to walk in a forest, especially one without hidden landmines.
If you want to learn, my advice is to start with a thin beginner's book and try to learn a few species per year. Start with boletes, which are reasonably safe, in Norway at least.

justwantFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #686 on: September 27, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Renovated the basement (about $12k total in costs), started doing AirBnb, so far in 4 months I have pulled about 8k. Work is minimal, cleaning takes about an hour per turn, rest of the "time" is tough to calculate since I basically just have to be on my phone all the time.

Antonn Park

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Blue Flower Editing
« Reply #687 on: September 29, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »
I used to walk dogs for extra cash and watch other peoples' pets, and that would bring in $25 an hour (cash). Then I started copyediting as a side gig, and now it is my full-time job :).

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #688 on: June 01, 2019, 04:26:26 AM »
Not sure if anyone has heard of this but Nutria is an invasive species and Louisiana has a bounty program that pays $5 a tail. Other states may do this too.

https://www.nola.com/pets/2010/09/nutria_tail-bounty_program_see.html

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: June 01, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
Nothing says fun more than killing helpless animals. Ugh!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #690 on: June 01, 2019, 02:20:01 PM »
Cassie, these animals are invasive and ruin swampy areas by eating the roots thus less land mass to protect from storms. They reproduce rapidly as well. In Florida they have invasive pythons that are breeding like crazy eating birds, deer, raccoons. There are bounty's for them too. There is a hunting season for the alligators to cull the amount in the swamps. If not for these methods of eliminating these species, they will take over. There are invasive fish too. They end up eating all the fish that belong in certain waterways.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #691 on: June 01, 2019, 05:02:14 PM »
I started a great side gig by accident. I was studying for an exam I needed to take and put all of my notes on a simple wordpress website. And I just kept adding to it, leaving questions for myself, and figuring them out.

After a while Google got a hold of it and others asked me more questions, and I researched and put more answers out. I started with some ads that generated $100/month. Eventually I put a study guide product out. Now I get to earn a substantial amount while helping people progress in their careers!

Umm. Are you Pat Flynn??

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #692 on: June 01, 2019, 05:29:22 PM »
I write, but that's sort of like a second job.  I even make extra money from my writing.  I have gotten paid from appearances and podcasts. My publicists have press kits for me and I have a one sheet available for speaking fees, etc.  I will sometimes speak for free if it's a big enough venue (like Comic Con or a festival).

Another thing I do is medical trials.  One I get a hugely expensive drug free as well as free medical care and other free drugs.  It's easy to fill a prescription, I get soooo many free perks, and i get a $75 check per visit.

In another clinical trial, I just give blood monthly for testing at $75 a pop.

I also do MRI's for $50 a pop.  It helps me stay healthy (I need regular MRI's) and I just pop a benadryl and sleep through the whole thing.  It's a paid nap.

Keep in mind I have a doctor I trust advising me on the safety of these things, but it does make me some extra cash.  And I don't get taxed on clinical trial money.

I have participated in a few research studies too but they add it to my paycheck and take taxes on it. I only do the easy ones such as a blood draw or urine sample. It is a nice way to earn an extra $50 on a lunch break.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #693 on: June 06, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
I have a work from home freelance job as a translator and editor.

Once when a friend who is also a SAHM was talking to me about her money woes, she made the comment that at least I have a job and can bring in some "fun money." I decided not to correct her assumption that I spend this money however I please on unnecessary things. Instead I consider it the same way as any other household income, to offset necessary expenses, like food.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #694 on: June 07, 2019, 08:51:27 AM »

Yet another reason for me to keep the Baltic states on the top of my next place to visit!

Daniel Warmuth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #695 on: June 11, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »

Umm. Are you Pat Flynn??

LOLOLOL

lfusselm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #696 on: June 15, 2019, 06:51:21 AM »
Im comtemplating doing this. If you dont mind me asking, with which company do you work? Are there any requirements such as certifications or exams in order to do this. Im in a field where this is in high demand as well. most if not all of my colleagues would be interested in this. Thanks for any help you can provide me.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #697 on: June 20, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
I'm doing currently 2 side hustles that actually bring quite some cash.

Wedding photography, which can be stressful sometimes but I take very few. I don't advertise, just have website and some word of mouth. I charge anywhere between 1500-3000 ... I just upgraded to a full frame camera for like $300 out of pocket instead of the sticker price of $2400 using coupons and packages and such. I have been doing 10-12 weddings per year.

I've got to the point where I shoot manual ALL THE TIME, and I have devloped my own presets, so, when it comes to edit the pictures I can edit 1 single picture and propagate the settings of the edit to the rest of the pictures. And since I use a lot of the commercial photography concepts, couples freak out when they see their pictures especially the details.

I also am doing educational trips for senior highschoolers along with my wife. The kids at our local highschool were paying 5000-6000 dollars for trip to Europe with a major educational tour company for 7 days. And it didn't even include all meals.

We started doing ourselves, and we charge around 4000 for 10-14 days and with meals. We have been doing only 1 trip per year and we revenue about 75K with costs around 15-20K while still giving the students a way better experience than they would have with the other tour agency. We get to travel for "free" and it doesn't really take THAT long to organize it. I may start doing 2 tours per year because demand is growing in the local HS. Might even branch out to other local HS's.

And not only the travel is "Free" but even our solo travel is tax deductible since we use our own traveling to research potential areas for next year tours.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:24:29 PM by MrSal »

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #698 on: June 21, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »
I also am doing educational trips for senior highschoolers along with my wife. The kids at our local highschool were paying 5000-6000 dollars for trip to Europe with a major educational tour company for 7 days. And it didn't even include all meals.

We started doing ourselves, and we charge around 4000 for 10-14 days and with meals. We have been doing only 1 trip per year and we revenue about 75K with costs around 15-20K while still giving the students a way better experience than they would have with the other tour agency. We get to travel for "free" and it doesn't really take THAT long to organize it. I may start doing 2 tours per year because demand is growing in the local HS. Might even branch out to other local HS's.

And not only the travel is "Free" but even our solo travel is tax deductible since we use our own traveling to research potential areas for next year tours.

Wow, I commend you on this ingenious idea for a side hustle.  For those of us that love to travel, this sounds very intriguing. 
But upon further thought, the idea of having to chaperone groups of co-ed teenagers, for weeks at a time, in a foreign country, most of which have more lax drug and alcohol laws, terrifies me.  You seem to be making it work though.  What do you do for liability/insurance concerns?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #699 on: June 21, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »

Wow, I commend you on this ingenious idea for a side hustle.  For those of us that love to travel, this sounds very intriguing. 
But upon further thought, the idea of having to chaperone groups of co-ed teenagers, for weeks at a time, in a foreign country, most of which have more lax drug and alcohol laws, terrifies me.  You seem to be making it work though.  What do you do for liability/insurance concerns?

Yes I agree there is some concerns. Of course we have it in a LLC. Insurance wise we have liability insurance for the business and also make sure we use individual insurance per traveler that covers pretty much everything - from cancellation, sickness, liability, etc. It's not expensive at about 60-90 dollars per passenger.

Also my wife is a teacher at said HS, so we kind of run the program as a merit based thing. We invite only students that are "worthy" and are invited by the teachers themselves - so they need to have good GPAs (usually most students are on NHRS, etc). We also have a form for parents for everything, in terms of handling misbehavior or anything that could arise. We ask for example that students are allowed in most european countries to drink, and if they are to drink is only in a "european" manner aka a meal ro something like that. So if parents have any opposition, we mark it and have them signed - so far, all parents allow it. We've taken 45 kids so far and not an issue on anything as of yet. Actually a lot of parents are starting to ask us to organize trips for them as well.

The fact we limit the students where it's not a matter of just signing up but an invitation, might be an obstacle to grow in the future and to keep things in check if we allow other schools to get in I admit, but so far I think we have no sights on expanding other than keeping it at current school. I think it keeps possible liability way lower, to deal with students we know and parents we know, than to venture outside of our sphere of influence.