Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 250525 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #650 on: March 25, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
For the first time tonight I drove for Lyft.  It was slightly terrifying at first but the 2 rides were NICE PEOPLE, thankfully.  I was in an area of downtown city that Iím not 100% familiar wth and it was rush hour.  The first rider was a very experienced ride share user businessman who shared with me what he thought made the best Lyfts:  clean cars and no bad smells from the car.  He said my car was very clean :) The second ride was a group of tourists and they were too engaged in their own conversation to pay any attention to my slightly terrified driving.  I made $20 and had some adventures.  Glad I got over my fear and did it.
Don't forget to track your mileage, both for Lyft and otherwise (so you or your tax preparer can calc your deductions).

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #651 on: March 30, 2018, 04:37:43 AM »
I stumbled across www.upwork.com/ today and I was curious- has anyone one this forum used this website to find part-time side gigs? It looks like there are some other threads on the forum, but most of them are extremely small and only have 1-2 responses. What I'm most curious about is:

-Can you set your own hours (outside of the work-day in US) and still get work?
-Is it very hard to get started?

Well, I can give you some insights from the other side, if you're interested.

Over the last 7+ years we've spent upwards of $50,000 on contractors on oDesk.
Mostly graphic design but with some research jobs as well.

-The people we did contract were always the ones who projected themselves as solutions to our needs. NOT part-time gig seekers. (If we wanted part-time employees who want to work from home, take no responsibility, produce amateur work and make a lots of money... we wouldn't need to pay oDesk's commissions. We would advertise on craigslist for free.)

-Price was never a consideration to us. But value was paramount.
The highest price people we used were always on-time, accurate and complete with projects.

-Having a good rating (4+ if I remember the grading system correctly) is a necessity.

-Showing a well thought out and impeccable portfolio of your work is your major sales tool.

-We always agreed and signed a written statement of work for every engagement. But... I made them write the body of the SOW based on our written requirements (i.e. expected end results). This ensured that I knew that they knew what was actually expected.

-Almost all of our contacts were fixed price... so yes, you could do the work when/where you like.
They just had to make sure they were available to talk at the prearranged times.
We had contractors from Canada, Argentina, Egypt, India, France and the USA.

-Any hourly contracts were with people we had worked with already.
We never made them sign in for online monitoring. Again, work where and when you want. But don't miss a deadline or a meeting. No excuses. (Well, obviously, some excuses were acceptable, but I was always pleasantly surprised when contractors would tell me the work may be late due to snowstorms or family illness or in one case a parent passing away, and yet they almost never were, despite assurances from me that the delay was manageable on our end.)

-Despite best intentions and the precautions above sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Only twice in the whole time did we need to terminate a contract early for non-performance. In both cases, the contractor agreed that they weren't up to the job. We got our money back and left the contractor a 5-star review for professionalism and good judgement. No major harm done on either side, other than the delay for us.

Finally, I would say that if you really have skills in demand and want to be in business for yourself go for it.
You will have a full pipeline of work.   

If, however you are looking for a quick buck, you'll probably have better luck at picking up empties.   

MrThatsDifferent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: March 31, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »
PA work can bring in great money if you know how to market yourself.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would do anything for $10 an hour. I mean, I am so thankful someone will do it but I just don't understand why they would. I would never get out of bed for $10 an hour. Hell, I'd never get out of bed for $20 an hour but atleast I can see someone working for $20. A person can make so much more, it's almost humorous to see people working for less but instead of laughing I usually feel sorry for them. Side gig or not.....

Iíd imagine 3/4 of the planet makes less than $20/hr. Sheesh.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #653 on: April 01, 2018, 03:42:21 AM »
PA work can bring in great money if you know how to market yourself.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would do anything for $10 an hour. I mean, I am so thankful someone will do it but I just don't understand why they would. I would never get out of bed for $10 an hour. Hell, I'd never get out of bed for $20 an hour but atleast I can see someone working for $20. A person can make so much more, it's almost humorous to see people working for less but instead of laughing I usually feel sorry for them. Side gig or not.....

Iíd imagine 3/4 of the planet makes less than $20/hr. Sheesh.

According to this calculator http://www.globalrichlist.net/ actually 99.37% of the world's population makes less than $20 an hour (filled in $38500 which was said to be $20 an hour).

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #654 on: April 01, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
I know.... sad thing isn't it? I am very thankful for those that do work for low wages, without them, prices would be sky high. I just have no clue why anyone would work for that low of a wage. In the US, no one HAS to work for that low wage. I tip great when we go out to eat..... when I pay for gas if it doesn't hold it all I give the remainder to the clerk.... Yesterday I gave a dryer to a lady that makes $40 a day.... I try to show my appreciation and keep those folks going but my brain does not compute working for such low pay. I'd be the guy that never had a job if I chose to work for that low pay. Without the low wage earners I wouldn't be able to make the money I do and the same goes for other business owners. So..... hopefully atleast 1 MORE of you will take the step outside your comfort zone and start your own business or get a j o b making more money. Yes, it's scary at first but you just have to take that 1st step just like everything else in life. Am I a hard ass? No, LIFE is a hard ass. I just don't sugar coat it for you like others do.

MrThatsDifferent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #655 on: April 02, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
I know.... sad thing isn't it? I am very thankful for those that do work for low wages, without them, prices would be sky high. I just have no clue why anyone would work for that low of a wage. In the US, no one HAS to work for that low wage. I tip great when we go out to eat..... when I pay for gas if it doesn't hold it all I give the remainder to the clerk.... Yesterday I gave a dryer to a lady that makes $40 a day.... I try to show my appreciation and keep those folks going but my brain does not compute working for such low pay. I'd be the guy that never had a job if I chose to work for that low pay. Without the low wage earners I wouldn't be able to make the money I do and the same goes for other business owners. So..... hopefully atleast 1 MORE of you will take the step outside your comfort zone and start your own business or get a j o b making more money. Yes, it's scary at first but you just have to take that 1st step just like everything else in life. Am I a hard ass? No, LIFE is a hard ass. I just don't sugar coat it for you like others do.

Nothing you wrote makes sense, itís just arrogance and cruelty. Wonderful, you think youíre better than most people good for you. From your attitude, itís clear to me youíre not a very happy person and there are lots of people making far less than you, making $20/hr or less that are far happier than you. Iím sure theyíd pity you, like you pity them.  Except they wouldnít waste their time, they have better things to do.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #656 on: April 03, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
I just started working again as a whitewater kayak instructor. I get about $50/3 hour pool session and $120 for a full day class. More importantly though, it gives me pro deals on gear (usually like 20% off wholesale prices) and allows me to deduct my gear purchases as business expenses which combine to make most gear about 60-70% off full retail for me.

Those benefits combined with the income makes teaching pay for all of my whitewater hobby.

This is an old one but I finally made the leap with this from working for someone else to starting my own business. All of the companies who operated locally closed or moved to the other side of the state to get more reliable water which made continuing to work for them difficult. So I started my own company doing it myself. The fact that I'm small and doing it for a side business means that I can be more flexible about time and location of classes than the bigger players so I can better deal with the un-reliable water.

Overall, I'm putting in about 10x as much work (though I love doing it so I don't mind) to make about 5x as much money but it is so nice to be working for myself.
We live in an RV full time while still working remotely. Check it out at http://therecklesschoice.com

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #657 on: April 04, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
^this sounds awesome, congrats!

Do you do this part time while still holding down a full time job, or has this transitioned into a more full time thing?
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #658 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »
^this sounds awesome, congrats!

Do you do this part time while still holding down a full time job, or has this transitioned into a more full time thing?

Thanks! I still hold down a full time job, but I'm about 50% of the way to my FIRE number and that stash plus this side hustle means I don't really need to keep the full time job. I'm guessing this business will grow year over year, and that combined with probably becoming a dad soon and wanting to spend way more time at home means that the full-time job's months are numbered.
We live in an RV full time while still working remotely. Check it out at http://therecklesschoice.com

kpetar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #659 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:34 AM »
Amazon FBA and selling videos to media buyers.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #660 on: April 05, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
Amazon FBA and selling videos to media buyers.

How did you get into this? Do you film your own videos, or get them from somewhere else? Definitely seems like an interesting business.
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

cjtorkelson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #661 on: April 18, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
When I was in high school I used to make a little extra cash by doing some manual labor for my grandfather's friends such as trimming hedges, branches, and things like that. I didn't mind it and it brought in some pretty good money. Recently I have also reffed some little kids basketball tournaments which I would do just for fun so the money that I bring in is a good bonus factor.

PhoenixHeat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #662 on: May 11, 2018, 06:34:40 AM »

Nothing you wrote makes sense, itís just arrogance and cruelty. Wonderful, you think youíre better than most people good for you. From your attitude, itís clear to me youíre not a very happy person and there are lots of people making far less than you, making $20/hr or less that are far happier than you. Iím sure theyíd pity you, like you pity them.  Except they wouldnít waste their time, they have better things to do.

I am assuming your comments are in response to SC's previous comment alone. If so, I re read his post and dont see the cruelty in there. It might even be a stretch for the arrogance as well. I appreciate his nudge to others to start a business or get a job making more money and how he acknowledges its scary at first but you have to make the jump.

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #663 on: May 11, 2018, 07:23:00 AM »
I worked PT for a local nonprofit for almost four years, doing miscellaneous work in writing, editing, program management, event planning, and volunteer coordination. It was a small office, so I was a jack-of-all-trades. I netted an extra ~$300/month.

I recently quit to focus on getting through school but it was a good gig while it lasted. Plus, I (significantly) expanded my skill set for when I'm job-hunting, and met some awesome people through non-intentional networking!

So here's a fun update. Three years later, after still volunteering for events off and on for this NPO (like, once a year) after I quit, they opened up my old PT job to be FT.

Guess who's starting that new FT job soon for an organization they love that pays $10K more than her current job with better benefits and an infinitely better commute?

Two thumbs up if you guessed midweststache :)

okits

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #664 on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
I worked PT for a local nonprofit for almost four years, doing miscellaneous work in writing, editing, program management, event planning, and volunteer coordination. It was a small office, so I was a jack-of-all-trades. I netted an extra ~$300/month.

I recently quit to focus on getting through school but it was a good gig while it lasted. Plus, I (significantly) expanded my skill set for when I'm job-hunting, and met some awesome people through non-intentional networking!

So here's a fun update. Three years later, after still volunteering for events off and on for this NPO (like, once a year) after I quit, they opened up my old PT job to be FT.

Guess who's starting that new FT job soon for an organization they love that pays $10K more than her current job with better benefits and an infinitely better commute?

Two thumbs up if you guessed midweststache :)

Huge congratulations, @midweststache !  👍👍

tedbendixson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »
I started tutoring iOS app development on Wyzant. I have seen other tutors charging as much as $60/hr, but I'm charging about half of that starting out, since I don't have many student ratings.

So far, it's all of the fun of software development with pretty much none of the B.S. You only have to commit to a few hours at a time, the clients are usually quite gracious, and I think it helps your skills to get better at communicating the core ideas around programming a particular way.

This is one of my little side-hustle experiments for the year. It'll be interesting to see how far I can go with the hourly rate. I would assume the market tops out somewhere, but it's hard to tell this early on.

Duke03

• Stubble
« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
I started selling supplemental/income insurance to coworkers. In my industry it's pretty much a god given right that you buy this or you put yourself at a huge risk.  Anyway long story short I average over $1,000 a month and pretty much don't do anything other then send an email to someone that wants to buy insurance. It's all word a mouth advertising so people are banging down my door to sign up.  Of course it helps that we are half the price of our nearest competition.  I've been doing it for over 5 years now.  Funny thing is I was actually offered a position full time with the insurance provider, but I'd have to move to a different state.  I prefer to keep things status quo and keep my day job, but I'm not going to turn down an extra $1,000 a month that's for sure!