Author Topic: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!  (Read 512010 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
Re: Who has a side gig/job that brings in extra cash?? Share with us!
« Reply #750 on: September 01, 2022, 01:02:40 PM »
Is there a magical formula for what is a decent side gig should pay or provide in positive vibes?  I make
roughly $150K per year base rate and I’m considering a side gig that will pay me $25/hour to start.
I have an interview tomorrow!  In theory   I would meet cool and intellectually stimulating people from an arts community. I  am not even remotely interested in spending any more hours at my regular gig as I already do OT there. 

lifeandlimb

• Stubble
« Reply #751 on: September 07, 2022, 08:21:32 AM »
Is there a magical formula for what is a decent side gig should pay or provide in positive vibes?  I make
roughly $150K per year base rate and I’m considering a side gig that will pay me $25/hour to start.
I have an interview tomorrow!  In theory   I would meet cool and intellectually stimulating people from an arts community. I  am not even remotely interested in spending any more hours at my regular gig as I already do OT there.

It depends on what you're looking for. Since your priority sounds like meeting intellectually stimulating people from an arts community, focus on how much interaction you would have with other people and what the atmosphere of the side gig workplace is like. If you're not in it mainly to make money, then try to get a side gig you would be happy doing even if they paid you pennies (or nothing). Then just do your job, be friendly, and avoid taking on additional responsibilities at both gigs like the plague.

cobbyrian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • lakshmintrance.com
« Reply #752 on: September 17, 2022, 05:14:57 AM »
This woman thought she found a way to make money. Guess it didn't work out for her.
https://www.foxnews.com/world/woman-cut-off-hand-insurance-payout

Oh boy, what a  dead end in her head could make her do that...

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #753 on: September 23, 2022, 10:57:35 PM »
Loretta, I've pondered this myself. I'll occasionally do related professional side things like market studies, tutoring, etc. I charge double my salary rate for that. I also do side things for fun like fixit stuff, making things etc. I charge half my salary rate for that. I do really like my job, and while I like my hobbies more, I think I'd find them stressful if I had to get so efficient to equal my corporate pay, and while I don't really enjoy the professional side things, double my time feels like enough incentive to do them.

goindeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #754 on: October 05, 2022, 11:30:51 PM »
I usually do some kind of content site and make money off the ads, easy but time-consuming. Here is the latest one https://www.cryptofireside.com/ (by the time you read this, it may no longer be mine as it's for sale at the moment).

I also used to do this thing where I would search for lost dogs with my trained scent dog, want to get back into it and yes I charged money for it.

Bonus: my 65-year-old mother who couldn't even use email or a smartphone a couple of years ago is now a retired-part-time eBay hustler. I think they call it arbitrage. She buys stuff from GumTree which is like Craigslist and re-sells on eBay. Keeps her busy and she makes up to $500 a week.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #755 on: October 06, 2022, 06:41:40 AM »

I generally don't do any side hustle work that I wouldn't do for free, unless it's a side hustle that I'm building to sustain as part of a multiple part time income stream system.

But if I already have full time work and enough money coming in, I'll be very picky about what something ads to my life. However, I'm not picky about trying things. I'll try just about anything, but I'm very quick to leave if it's not adding to my overall quality of life.

My usual rate of pay is over $100/hr, but I've done fun side hustle work for as little as minimum wage. I just agreed to do some lectures for my old program for basically pennies, but only because they wouldn't allow me to do it for free because it would set a bad precedent for all of the other lecturers who are trying to get fairly paid for their work.

Right now I have a part time job, not a "side hustle" because I don't have a main job, I'm a grad student again starting over in a new profession, so my bar for my part time job is fairly low. It has to pay at least $30/hr and has to be fun and easy.

This job adds very little to my quality of life, and if I wasn't being paid, I wouldn't do it. I learn nothing, it doesn't meaningfully expand my network, I'm not going to make good friends from it, it won't benefit my long term career goals. It is fun though, so it's not like it costs me anything, but it is in the evenings, which is a huge concession because my spouse works days, but it's only a few evenings a week, and historically I've always had volunteer work that ate up my evenings.

I chose it because of how easy it is and how flexible it is. I have multiple major surgeries coming up over the next few years and none of my old side hustles or jobs options allow me to disappear for 6-12 weeks at a time in an unpredictable fashion over the course of multiple years. It's kind of miraculous that I found a single decent job that would! So I had to give it a try. It's been a few weeks, I'm still undecided if I'll stick with it.

The job is moderating corporate zoom meetings, which mostly means condo corporation meetings and other non profits that are run by volunteers who don't necessarily have the skills to run zoom meetings. I was the president of my condo board, so this is the kind of thing I did for free.

Let me correct myself though, it does provide me some minor career skills. I was already a very experienced meeting chair/moderator, but I'm not a tech person at all, and the job has made me very comfortable and adept at quickly managing technical difficulties with zoom. My future career (clinical counsellor) may well involve zoom sessions, so this could help me down the line.

All in all, why not try it? Just be very willing to walk away if it doesn't add a substantial net benefit to your life.

halfling

• Stubble
« Reply #756 on: July 19, 2023, 02:21:02 PM »
I'm thinking of taking a shot at a new printables idea for Etsy sales. I've never sold on Etsy but I recently bought a certain printable for ... $2? $3? And the shop had thousands of sales. And I am certain I could make even better ones.

I used to dog sit a lot for $30-$60 per day, but I got really tired of staying in other people's houses once I got an actually nice apartment LOL.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #757 on: January 18, 2024, 12:18:38 AM »

I generally don't do any side hustle work that I wouldn't do for free, unless it's a side hustle that I'm building to sustain as part of a multiple part time income stream system.

But if I already have full time work and enough money coming in, I'll be very picky about what something ads to my life. However, I'm not picky about trying things. I'll try just about anything, but I'm very quick to leave if it's not adding to my overall quality of life.

My usual rate of pay is over $100/hr, but I've done fun side hustle work for as little as minimum wage. I just agreed to do some lectures for my old program for basically pennies, but only because they wouldn't allow me to do it for free because it would set a bad precedent for all of the other lecturers who are trying to get fairly paid for their work.

Right now I have a part time job, not a "side hustle" because I don't have a main job, I'm a grad student again starting over in a new profession, so my bar for my part time job is fairly low. It has to pay at least $30/hr and has to be fun and easy.

This job adds very little to my quality of life, and if I wasn't being paid, I wouldn't do it. I learn nothing, it doesn't meaningfully expand my network, I'm not going to make good friends from it, it won't benefit my long term career goals. It is fun though, so it's not like it costs me anything, but it is in the evenings, which is a huge concession because my spouse works days, but it's only a few evenings a week, and historically I've always had volunteer work that ate up my evenings.

I chose it because of how easy it is and how flexible it is. I have multiple major surgeries coming up over the next few years and none of my old side hustles or jobs options allow me to disappear for 6-12 weeks at a time in an unpredictable fashion over the course of multiple years. It's kind of miraculous that I found a single decent job that would! So I had to give it a try. It's been a few weeks, I'm still undecided if I'll stick with it.

The job is moderating corporate zoom meetings, which mostly means condo corporation meetings and other non profits that are run by volunteers who don't necessarily have the skills to run zoom meetings. I was the president of my condo board, so this is the kind of thing I did for free.

Let me correct myself though, it does provide me some minor career skills. I was already a very experienced meeting chair/moderator, but I'm not a tech person at all, and the job has made me very comfortable and adept at quickly managing technical difficulties with zoom. My future career (clinical counsellor) may well involve zoom sessions, so this could help me down the line.

All in all, why not try it? Just be very willing to walk away if it doesn't add a substantial net benefit to your life.

In all the things that I was imagining you might do in the evening for $30 an hour that were fun, moderating strata meetings was not among them.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #758 on: January 18, 2024, 04:51:48 AM »
In all the things that I was imagining you might do in the evening for $30 an hour that were fun, moderating strata meetings was not among them.

But the post you quoted specifically says I didn't do it for fun, that it was fairly boring and I wouldn't do it if I wasn't being paid. Someone asked for an example of a "decent" side gig that would pay $25/hr, so I gave an example of a very decent, very easy job that paid more than that.

Also, I obviously *do* find running strata meetings fun or else I wouldn't have volunteered to do it for free as president. But I enjoy wrangling large groups of hostile people. In fact, handling angry, aggressive people is one of my favourite things to do, I find it very entertaining.

But the moderating job was more dull because I had no stakes, it wasn't *my* building, and no one was yelling *at* me. So yeah, it was pretty dull, and I was only doing it because I was being paid and I had wanted to try having a part time job at the time.

I was pretty amazed at how much I could get paid for so little effort though. I didn't stick with it for very long because I had surgery and ended up with much more interesting shit to do like spending a year relearning how to walk, but for the few months I did it, it was the easiest money I've ever made.

Hence a great example of an easy side hustle in the pay range that was asked for.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #759 on: February 14, 2024, 11:17:36 PM »
I wish I found wrangling hostile people entertaining instead of terrifying! I had a big learning edge with just learning to politely and firmly shut down people who were off topic and wasting time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2024, 05:05:58 AM »
I wish I found wrangling hostile people entertaining instead of terrifying! I had a big learning edge with just learning to politely and firmly shut down people who were off topic and wasting time.

True, being very comfortable with hostility is rare, but it is learnable. I've coached countless professionals to get comfortable with hostility and open conflict. Not being terrified of social interactions is pretty liberating.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: February 15, 2024, 05:25:18 AM »

True, being very comfortable with hostility is rare, but it is learnable. I've coached countless professionals to get comfortable with hostility and open conflict. Not being terrified of social interactions is pretty liberating.

Is there a resource you would recommend studying to improve this skill or general ideas on it?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #762 on: February 15, 2024, 06:56:52 AM »

Is there a resource you would recommend studying to improve this skill or general ideas on it?

Not that I'm aware of, it was work I did personally with clients. It's largely about cultivating the belief that being liked and being respected are very different things, and that conflict is a necessary element of respect.

I also leaned heavily on behavioural experiments, helping people identify low-stakes situations where they could experiment with encouraging conflict rather than avoiding it and seeing what happens.

It usually doesn't take much to flip someone from being terrified of conflict to welcoming it.

A lot of this comes down to people-pleasing behaviours, so any resources that address that would likely be useful.

We're conditioned at a young age to believe that someone being mad at us is "bad" and reflects poorly on our behaviour, and we carry this belief through into our adult relationships.

When really, our parents or teachers getting mad at us was actually them caring about what we were doing. So if you modify the meaning of aggression away from judgement of us to someone expressing that they care deeply about something, it stops being about us and starts being about them.

What do they care so much about that they're getting angry?? What role and responsibility do we have for that anger?

If someone is angry in my direction and I do legitimately hold some responsibility for why and for solving it, that's great, that means I can actually do something about it.

If I don't hold any responsibility for causing or fixing what the person is caring deeply about, then it's just not my problem. My only job it to determine if I need to make that clear or just let the person do their angry thing and ignore them.

The key is to understand that hostility and aggression only reflect on you as a person when they come from someone who cares deeply about you and whose judgement about who you are matters to you.

Otherwise it's just a strong opinion someone holds. You get to decide how relevant that opinion is to you.

Also, the most important thing is that you can't stop people from being angry at you. People are angry at you regularly because all humans are incredibly annoying to someone. There's no amount of people-pleasing a person can engage in to stop people from being angry at them.

People who express that anger can be managed, people who silently, politely fume can't be. Angry people are asking you to help them feel better about their anger. Polite fumers just fucking hate you silently and wish you harm.

I'll take a yeller any day.

I can pretty much guarantee that I can get to a good place of mutual respect with a yeller. To get to that place with a silent fumer, I actually have to push them into open conflict to diffuse their rage.

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #763 on: March 28, 2024, 06:02:43 PM »
I would have thought that someone must have mentioned this on the thread, but I can't seem to find a link. Just in case:

Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/selling-tradelines-piggybacking-part-ii-$1000hr-20-40kyr-side-gig/