Author Topic: Using a personal checking account for business?  (Read 1238 times)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Using a personal checking account for business?
« on: December 07, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Wondering if anyone does this.  Currently using Chase, with 0% back.

I've noticed some excellent credit unions with high checking/savings rates.  Is there any issue with opening one of these accounts and using it specifically for business?  Would this have any potential negative consequences i.e. tax issues or pissing off the bank?

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
Re: Using a personal checking account for business?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
Nope. No worries. I've done it, and it makes no difference to Uncle Sam how/where you manage your inflows and outflows. It's all the same for taxes.

Your bank might have a problem if you are Joe Smith and your checks say New World Exterminators, but then again, who is actually looking? You would just put your name first, then the business name (if you've got one).

I may be cavalier about the checks though, anyone out there in banking who can address this?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 05:57:44 PM »
It may depend on your industry.  I can't remember why I needed to have a business account, but I was required to have one as a condition of a government contract -- either directly required, or required to have a business account to make electronic deposits into, or required to get it in order to get a D&B or a FEIN. 

I can add that a few years after doing everything through my business account, I got a new "business" credit card, which is just a regular personal credit card that I only use for business purchases.  I've had no problems doing that and I get better perks using a personal credit account than a business credit account.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
Yeah I just confirmed with my CPA this cannot be done.  The bank is required to notify the IRS when it sees business like activity done in a personal account.  Main reason is that people try to avoid taxes using personal accounts.