Author Topic: Please recommend a good book on Marketing  (Read 2457 times)

shortduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Please recommend a good book on Marketing
« on: August 24, 2022, 04:30:30 PM »
Hello all, most of us has read Simple Part To Wealth by JL Collins. This is one of the best book for investing an FI. On the same lines is there a good book on marketing?

I am making JL Collins book as a reference since it was a very easy to read and easy to follow. So I’m looking for something similar for marketing. I am starting an online business for selling. Thanks

shortduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Please recommend a good book on Marketing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 09:40:23 PM »
Anyone

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 06:52:41 AM »
Marketing is quite a broad subject, not saying there isn't a great survey book out there. But are you looking for recommendations on a specific aspect of marketing, or overall? If overall business marketing, what type of business? I think those specifics may help with recommendations.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 08:00:30 AM »
This is a really big picture suggestion, but you ought to maybe think about reading Michael Porter's Competitive Advantage or Competitive Strategy.

Porter must be retired by now from his professor job at Harvard Business School, but he's basically the father of strategic planning. His book explains how, really, only three basic strategies exist. (I think his ideas on this, even decades later, are still true. FWIW...) And you or I want to know our strategies before we do much with marketing.

Porter in a nutshell: Strategy is the way you take customers from competitors. And essentially you do that one of three ways: (1) by competing on price (if you have ability to tremendously scale) or (2) by competing on quality (and charging people a fat premium) or (3) by better serving a specific segment of market (with a better fit solution or product.)

P.S. I acknowledge that maybe you've already done this.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 08:32:08 PM »
Somewhere along the way I picked up a used copy of Jay Conrad Levinson's book Guerilla Marketing. It was originally published in 1984, so it's dated, but many of the basic principles still apply. There are many, many examples of how to get your name and product out there by using clever strategies. Online, there are case studies of small businesses using tricks that very large corporations employ.

I recommend looking for it. There's inevitably something you can use that can be helpful for you.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 08:15:36 AM »
And I really liked Growth Hacker Marketing.

Also a few years old and I haven't been through it lately, but it's still a lot more connected with current practices than some of the umm, classics.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 03:32:54 PM »
As others have mentioned, it would help to have an idea of what and how you're trying to market.

Do you have an online funnel for a digital product or SAS?
Do you have a brick & mortar location selling a tangible product?
Are your sales confined to a local area, a region of your country, the entire country, or international?
Are you selling products or services?
Is your typical customer giving you $10, $1000, or $100,000 per sale?
Are you trying to create ads? If so, are they ads on social media (Facebook, IG, etc.) in newspapers? in trade publications?
Are you trying to use a content marketing strategy like blogging, free e-books, etc.?

Having said that, I like Donald Miller's "Business Made Simple" as a general overview. The most important strategy in marketing is to talk about your customer's problems and then share how you have a solution to those problems.