Author Topic: You Tube Entrepreneurs?  (Read 3736 times)

lilsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
You Tube Entrepreneurs?
« on: May 31, 2020, 05:49:53 PM »
Are you a You Tube content creator/entrepreneur? Looking to hear stories on how you got started, learned the platform, and does it serve as a income source for you?

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: You Tube Entrepreneurs?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 06:10:15 PM »
I have a youtube channel with about 20 videos designed to answer common questions about my area of expertise (I'm a psychologist). I use the videos to build brand recognition and send them to my website where I sell an online program/course. I do not have a vlog; I don't regularly contribute new videos - so my goal isn't to try to build up a large enough audience to make money simply by getting ad income from Youtube.

what i've learned:
- Youtube is very, very crowded - even in a topic that is commonly experienced by most people

My $.02 if you want to build a Youtube audience:
either a) be very niche in your topic, or b) be very polarizing (some people love you and some hate/disagree with you.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »
I've got a YouTube channel with over 300 videos and I dunno? 1300 subscribers? Got started by putting up a simple how to on making salad dressing and got some nice encouragement, so I started a weekly food video series that ran for 6 solid years. At one point I had a Patreon account with a whopping 6 people who paid me every week to see the video before anyone else.

There definitely are people who make bank from YouTube. My bet is there are far more people who use it as a way to inform, educate, and bring value to their audience - and then sell a course or membership. Jason Brown (The Brown Report) did a great interview with Jill and Josh Stanton of the Screw the 9-5 podcast awhile ago about how he uses his YouTube channel.

Making good videos is time consuming. YouTube is making it harder to earn money from ads in general.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 11:34:23 PM »
As someone doing very well with YouTube right now - I think ANY business, brand, or entrepreneur should have a channel.  My business has grown ~500% 2 years in a row with no paid advertising thanks to YouTube. 

It has taken about a year and a half to go from basically zero to ~40k subscribers for me. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »
I have had a Youtube Channel for a very long time. I wish I had monitized it early on... I monitized right before the most recent change and made about six bucks; but then they changed their monetization requirements and I lost that- so I'll never get to my $100...

I like recording and sharing, but I don't like editing. To build up a good following, you have to have great editing and a consistent brand.

I have almost 1000 subscribers on my hot mess of a channel. Maybe someday I'll clean it up and figure out what my "brand" is...

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
As someone doing very well with YouTube right now - I think ANY business, brand, or entrepreneur should have a channel.  My business has grown ~500% 2 years in a row with no paid advertising thanks to YouTube. 

It has taken about a year and a half to go from basically zero to ~40k subscribers for me.

@k-vette i think i have watched on of your videos on bolton bikes!

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 06:37:38 PM »
It appears you have.  ;)

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 11:51:06 PM »
Thx for comments by people who have channels