Author Topic: Launching a new business - EDDM yes or no...  (Read 4218 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Launching a new business - EDDM yes or no...
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »
Hi there...

I am launching a new business regarding photography and weddings on a new location and was thinking of using a direct mail list to introduce myself and offer a coupon for example.

Since most direct mailing lists have no tracking, i would set up the link and the phone number specific for this campaign.

Since I am in a small town, do you think it would be okay to spread this way for a saturation and start the recognition of brand?

Cost of doing this is about 3 cents for postcard and then 17 cents per postage for a total of 20 cents per mailing... I would target the higher income households in the area.

Any input woudl be greatly appreciated

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Launching a new business - EDDM yes or no...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39:05 PM »
Of course Id set up normal SEO and Google AdWords ...

I have one question though.. do the postcards need to be a specific kind? Because I see some printing services having EDDM postcards and standard postcards... I was thinking of just ordering standard and do it myself because cheaper.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »
I think this is great. My hunch is that it would work well in a small town, especially if you live in the area.

Just read some articles on effective direct mail... what'll get opened, what people will actually read, etc. and give it a shot.

Think about what your goals for the campaign are, and if the copy/imagery is helping or hurting that goal.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 04:39:22 AM »
Yes Ive been reading a little...

I think on a value proposition... postcards seem to be best... there is no envelope as a barrier.

They are best for local services which is pretty much where i stand in.. does anyone have good ideas for a good copy or should i use mostly images with some sort of catchline and a Callt o Action?

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:58:49 AM »
Yes Ive been reading a little...

I think on a value proposition... postcards seem to be best... there is no envelope as a barrier.

Yeah, I think anything without an envelope is a win.  They can't not see it.

They are best for local services which is pretty much where i stand in.. does anyone have good ideas for a good copy or should i use mostly images with some sort of catchline and a Callt o Action?

Forget the catchline.  Give the 5-7 word version of your service and/or the main benefit.  They need to know what you do, specifically, in the 1 second that they will spend looking at the card.  Bonus points for including the town name in those 5-7 words. 

Then yes, the CTA. 

So something like this:

Professional Wedding Photographer in Pleasantville   <-- Headline

Use code XYZXYZ for 15% off your wedding photography <-- Offer

Book online at www.pleasnatvilleweddingphotography.com  <-- CTA

[background image of the card is a beautiful wedding shot. Probably a smiling bride]

Then, make whatever the homepage is, match the keywords on the card.  Probably even the same headline. And lots of pictures.

You can use the About page on the site to get more personal about you and your service/experience.  No time for that on a postcard.

You could also put a deadline on when they have to cash in the code. That might backfire on you though, as pressure can be a negative on high priced purchases, and not everyone is ready to book a wedding in the immediate future.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:01:59 AM by CargoBiker »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »
Yup All great ideas!!

Thanks!

I think ill DIY this isntead of giving to a mailer.

DIY is about 25 cents ... to use a mailer service is around 60-70 cents each card - it includes postage.

DIY, Ill have to organize the the slips and drop them off at local post office.

I estimate I might take 2-3 hours organizing everyting the 1st time, to make sure everything is proper.

For a 2000 postcard mailing ... thats almost 1000 dollars savings

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
Photography... tough one. If I woke up and this was what I was going to do I think I'd take a couple of hours and write a 1 page business plan. I'd google wedding photography in my area then I'd take the names of the first 5 and google them. I'd see what all they are doing. Then I'd make myself a Weebly website and do some SEO on the site myself. I'd start my own Facebook group for females that are just planning a wedding. I'd do some live streams. I'd get together with a few others in the wedding business and team up with them. I'd join mommy groups and not advertise my business but get to be friends with people in there and kinda drop what I do every now and then.  So far all of that is FREE except the $100 website from Weebly. I always start my businesses on the CHEAP! Take my current business...... I spent a few thousand on inventory and I've only ever spent less than $100 on advertising and so far this year it has made a $75,000 profit. I don't like a business that can't support itself so once I spend very little on it, if it isn't a producer I let it go QUICK! Every business I have nowadays uses free internet advertising. We basically have a $100 a year advertising budget on each business and that $100 goes to Weebly and a few of my businesses have a $0 advertising budget.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
I already have all that in place... i did 1 wedding so far that i jumped in last minute helping a friend and i set up a website right away - it wasnt even my wedding but i saw an opportunity here and jumped right there.

www.salvasphotography.com/laurajustin

While the website wasnt and isnt ready by any means... i needed to have the landing page there done so i could start collecting e-mails and data from people.

With this, i have already gathered 120+ emails and some sales from the store that i set up.

I am using just a normal host at 30 dollars per year of hosting. The development costs are my time.

I am setting up now keywords and local SEO listing along with citations ... I am already the top result on google Local around my area because i built citations around my name.

I need to start working on the Facebook page and groups as well... i actually just bought a subscription for Buffer - which will allow me to feed constant content automatically. It wasnt much because i got a lifetime plan for like 30 dollars. It will save me time and ill use it towards other ventures as well.

Youre making 75k out of 100 dollars? Wowww thats amazing! Kudosss! is it an online business or something?

Apart from the photography side I am thinking of doing a digital agency of sorts as well .. Too many ideas too litle time :D

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
For a 2000 postcard mailing ... thats almost 1000 dollars savings

Sounds like a good ROI for 3 hours of work.   Always good to test new marketing methods with as little cash as possible.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
Photography... tough one. If I woke up and this was what I was going to do I think I'd take a couple of hours and write a 1 page business plan. I'd google wedding photography in my area then I'd take the names of the first 5 and google them. I'd see what all they are doing. Then I'd make myself a Weebly website and do some SEO on the site myself. I'd start my own Facebook group for females that are just planning a wedding. I'd do some live streams. I'd get together with a few others in the wedding business and team up with them. I'd join mommy groups and not advertise my business but get to be friends with people in there and kinda drop what I do every now and then.  So far all of that is FREE except the $100 website from Weebly. I always start my businesses on the CHEAP! Take my current business...... I spent a few thousand on inventory and I've only ever spent less than $100 on advertising and so far this year it has made a $75,000 profit. I don't like a business that can't support itself so once I spend very little on it, if it isn't a producer I let it go QUICK! Every business I have nowadays uses free internet advertising. We basically have a $100 a year advertising budget on each business and that $100 goes to Weebly and a few of my businesses have a $0 advertising budget.

This post had so much gold I can't even process it.

I've gotten pretty good at paid traffic, but have been exploring free traffic a lot more in the last month or so, with good results.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
MrSal, What did you type in to google when you came up on the 1st page?

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
MrSal, What did you type in to google when you came up on the 1st page?
]

wedding photographers in [area]

wedding photographers near me  ...  (this using a foreign computer a few miles from my house and i still showed up first) - This is Google Local though (the list that shows up before organic results and have an embedded map along with reviews and phone number etc...) I also set up the Knowledge Graph from Google, but so far I havent been able to link it with those keywords

I have a good SEO grasp and in my area not many people know how to work with digital... My GMB is at 100% and fully optimized with keywords and pictures.

Also I created profiles in about 20 directories being consistent on spelling etc to create authority towards my domain.

Now I just need to work on my own website a build it and start creating the keywords and as you say, see what works and what my competitors are doing - not much - unless i go to bigger competitors such as directories.

Which i can actually see everything they do:

I got this application for 29 dollars lifetime.

I got it through Appsumo which is great for enterpreneurs

If anyone is interested in appsumo here's the link:

https://appsumo.com/?r=LZRv

(its a referral link btw)

Even if you guys dont use my link... some of their apps are totally worth it - this one being one in the past which is great. I also have Billy app (accounting which got a lifetime deal for 20$) ...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:48:23 PM by MrSal »

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Yeah, I see you have 209 backlinks. lol That is GREAT if they are all good, although nowadays you only need a few to satisfy Google. They are probably coming from what you mentioned above. Be sure and utilize the long tail keywords that others might not be using.