Author Topic: Is Professional SEO worth paying for?  (Read 5700 times)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Is Professional SEO worth paying for?
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »
Question for all my fellow entrepreneurs: Is it worthwhile to pay for SEO?  My small business has been up and running for about 2-1/2 years now and I am really struggling to get traffic without paying for it via Facebook/Instagram/Google Ads.  I feel that if I could get to the first page of Google results for about 5-10 not very competitive keywords/phrases that I would see a pretty good increase in sales. 

I have done done a bit of learning about SEO and I have used a lot of the common techniques that are supposed to help a website rank better on Google but I am not having much success.  I have found services on Fiverr and the like where people claim to be able to get you on the 1st page of Google for 10 key phrases for $280.  In my mind, if they could actually do this, I could justify paying this.  I easily spend $1,000 on advertising throughout the year between FB/IG/Google, so if $300 would not be a huge deal that could end up being a home run for me.

Thoughts?

My Website: www.washingtoninabox.com

The SEO Service I am considering: https://www.fiverr.com/smuddin2013/top-rank-up-your-website-on-google-1st-page-with-seo?context_referrer=search_gigs&source=main_banner&ref_ctx_id=54cc6f08-1f01-4d07-9de3-fbbfa4d7e0cd&pckg_id=1&pos=6&context_type=auto&funnel=1dfe5c47-4973-43a0-a3a0-1b06cd338a06

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Is Professional SEO worth paying for?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »
Wow, your post is very valuable!  I will bookmark it and come back for your insightful teaching on the https://syonyk.blogspot.com topic of Web SEO Optimization!

=========

(I have a burning, burning hatred of "SEO" bullshit artists who spam my blog comments section with nonsense links - and who aren't even smart enough to read the boilerplate before the comment field, which reads: "Comments on older posts are moderated due to spam issues. If you don't see your comment immediately, and you weren't just spamming me with some irrelevant comment and a link to whatever site you're trying to SEO, your comment should show up relatively soon. If you're trying to use my blog for your SEO purposes, your comments will never show up, so don't waste your time.")

Before you drop a single cent on "SEO" garbage, spend the money on speeding your site up.  It's painfully slow - and it's not just me that thinks so.  My connection is slow at night, but Google offers PageSpeed analysis services, and it thinks your site is quite awful.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtoninabox.com%2F

I've tested it a few times, and get results in the ~45 range for mobile.  Desktop is better, but your mobile score is quite bad - and Google penalizes pages that are slow.  https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2018/01/using-page-speed-in-mobile-search.html

Fix that before you do any SEO work.

As for actual SEO companies, if they're doing something beyond just spamming other websites and properties they own, they might be of some value, but a lot of them are scumbags.  I greatly enjoy the sport of calling companies who have just been spammed in my moderation queue and letting them know what their "SEO" company is doing - wasting their time and money by posting things on a blog that's quite clear about spam comments never seeing the light of day.  Most places respond with "Huh?" - but some, I definitely get the right person, and forward on both the comment notification messages and the pages - so the person hiring the SEO company can see, for themselves, how wasteful they are.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
be careful, there are SO MANY scumbags in SEO.

Google has figured out their behavior patterns so it's not only useless but can actually penalize your site so that you're worse than you started because now you're associated with their tactics, even after they're done, even the "good ones" who promise they're careful or using the freshest methods.

Sometimes "being on the 1st page" is purposefully deceptive. They'll put you there by buying adwords. Really. If you have any ability and inclination, your time is probably better spent becoming your own expert, both on SEO and PPC advertising.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:46 PM »
Google has figured out their behavior patterns so it's not only useless but can actually penalize your site so that you're worse than you started because now you're associated with their tactics, even after they're done, even the "good ones" who promise they're careful or using the freshest methods.

That too.  Google is far better at detecting that kind of stuff than they typically let on - and they let it run for a while, while tracking the bad behavior, marking it internally, and letting the scumbags (SEO, "valid accounts," etc) think their stuff works - because it is working.  It's just that it only works for a while, and after some period of time, they bulk-resolve the issue.  So someone will sell a "guaranteed Google Account Generator" on the blackhat forums that seems like it works, and generates valid accounts, then in 4 months literally every account generated by that tool will be deleted at once - producing, of course, quality backlash against the author.

Mixing yourself with that sort of behavior is definitely unwise.

You're way better doing your own SEO with interesting articles and blog posts.

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 06:46:35 AM »
I agree with Syonyk. I don't allow comments on my site because the legitimate comment to spam ratio was 100:1.

To get a better page rank, your site needs to solve the problem people are searching for better than other sites.

On my site I wrote a short and simple article on how to do something technical. I explain it in more depth than other sources. As people started going past the first page unsatisfied with other sites, that pages rank grew. Eventually, someone linked to it on the official community board of a mega software company with a top 500 Alexa rank. That one little thing gave me a pretty substantial traffic increase. This wasn't the first time this happened either. I wrote an article explaining how to do something (back up and restore a particular application) that didn't have a detailed walkthrough. There was only reference material and message board posts targeted at experienced users. It is typically on the first page or Google.

TLDR, SEO comes down to solving the problem people want solved better than other web sites. It can take months to get noticed, but you will eventually.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »
Interesting.  Thank you all for the input, I had no idea that SEO services were a slimy corner of the web.  I am going to reconsider... I am glad I posted because I was about to pull the trigger!  Does anyone have any recommendations on websites or youtube video series to watch to help better understand SEO?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 09:54:44 AM »
I agree with Syonyk. I don't allow comments on my site because the legitimate comment to spam ratio was 100:1.

Ouch.  Mine's far better - maybe 5:1 or so spam to actual.  It's not that annoying, but I did have to moderate old posts because I was missing stuff.

TLDR, SEO comes down to solving the problem people want solved better than other web sites. It can take months to get noticed, but you will eventually.

I've got a number of "#1 hits" or "first page hits" on Google with my blog.  I've spent literally nothing on SEO.  My content is my SEO.  About the only thing that I do in a nod to SEO is that for how-to posts, I try to make sure the first sentence is a list of useful things.

I've got (entertainingly, for a blog that isn't generally about cars) the top hit for things like "2015 Mazda 3 oil change" that isn't a video.  It's regularly a top performer on my blog, even though I wrote it as a throwaway post.  It starts out: "Things needed for a 2014/2015/2016 SkyActiv Mazda 3 oil change: 5 quarts 0W-20, 6 quarts if you've got the 2.5L motor and are a "top of dipstick" kind of person. A Wix 57002 filter."  And that's the blurb that you see - so it's pretty consistently at the top, because people find it useful.

I also have a ton of high-hit pages where I'm reviewing particular bits of goofy electronics.  When you're the only thing that isn't a sales page with the same boilerplate text, it's pretty easy to get noticed.

But I don't try to play in crowded spaces either.  I just write solid technical content in a variety of areas, and people find their way to it, which helps my search positioning - even though it's a curiosity.

I think regular posting helps as well, but I'm not sure about the details on that.  My older posts certainly still get a ton of traffic.

Interesting.  Thank you all for the input, I had no idea that SEO services were a slimy corner of the web.  I am going to reconsider... I am glad I posted because I was about to pull the trigger!  Does anyone have any recommendations on websites or youtube video series to watch to help better understand SEO?

"Write good content, that people find useful, that isn't using slimy tricks to look different to search engines.  Serve that content quickly."

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »
Agreed.  Most SEO is shady at best and counterproductive at worst.
Before you drop a single cent on "SEO" garbage, spend the money on speeding your site up.  It's painfully slow - and it's not just me that thinks so.  My connection is slow at night, but Google offers PageSpeed analysis services, and it thinks your site is quite awful.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtoninabox.com%2F

I've tested it a few times, and get results in the ~45 range for mobile.  Desktop is better, but your mobile score is quite bad - and Google penalizes pages that are slow.  https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2018/01/using-page-speed-in-mobile-search.html

Fix that before you do any SEO work.
Amusingly, I actually find his site to be faster than most (desktop), but I'm also on a hot-garbage 6mbps DSL line a mile off the road.

MaaS

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:20:57 AM »
I'm a marketing consultant - so this is a topic I know quite well. My thoughts:

- The SEO space is full of modern day snake oil salesmen.

- A great SEO consultant can have a huge impact, but they don't work for these rates. I understand that $280 may feel like a lot - but it's truly pennies in this space. True experts charge a few thousand - at least.

- There is no formula to "guarantee" a first page ranking. Anybody who says this is lying to you.

- These packages are primarily about your site being structured correctly rather than improving your strategy. If your site has these issues, it may help. Otherwise...

- Google's highly paid engineering geniuses are building to match content to user intent. Modern SEO is less about keywords and more about answering what the user is trying to accomplish. I'd focus on creating useful content for specific query intents.  Start with this tool https://app.neilpatel.com/en/traffic_analyzer/ and go ahead and read everything Neil writes on SEO. He's the best IMO.

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »

- A great SEO consultant can have a huge impact, but they don't work for these rates. I understand that $280 may feel like a lot - but it's truly pennies in this space. True experts charge a few thousand - at least.

- There is no formula to "guarantee" a first page ranking. Anybody who says this is lying to you.

- These packages are primarily about your site being structured correctly rather than improving your strategy. If your site has these issues, it may help. Otherwise...

- Google's highly paid engineering geniuses are building to match content to user intent. Modern SEO is less about keywords and more about answering what the user is trying to accomplish. I'd focus on creating useful content for specific query intents.  Start with this tool https://app.neilpatel.com/en/traffic_analyzer/ and go ahead and read everything Neil writes on SEO. He's the best IMO.

Check this out: https://www.troyhunt.com/dont-take-security-advice-from-seo-experts-or-psychics-neil-patel/. Neil might know marketing, but be wary of people giving advice on topics leaking outside of their area of expertise. Assuming Troy Hunt is accurately depicting what happened, Troy is 100% correct about HTTPS.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »
Will driving users to your web page increase revenue? In my case, it doesn’t. I have no real need at this point.  My revenue is driven by old school sales, networking, prospecting, and referrals.

Now, I have friends in digital marketing and SEO, and they helped me with some paid ads, which have been marginally effective.  But they told me, best case now, is that you need to create content.  That was the big driver when we last looked into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaaS

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »

Check this out: https://www.troyhunt.com/dont-take-security-advice-from-seo-experts-or-psychics-neil-patel/. Neil might know marketing, but be wary of people giving advice on topics leaking outside of their area of expertise. Assuming Troy Hunt is accurately depicting what happened, Troy is 100% correct about HTTPS.

I hadn't seen that, but yeah, that's bad advice. To clarify my earlier comment: I think Neil's content, and how he explains SEO clearly and simply is the best. Not that he's necessarily the world's best practitioner. If it matters :)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 08:50:14 AM »
Will driving users to your web page increase revenue? In my case, it doesn’t. I have no real need at this point.  My revenue is driven by old school sales, networking, prospecting, and referrals.

Now, I have friends in digital marketing and SEO, and they helped me with some paid ads, which have been marginally effective.  But they told me, best case now, is that you need to create content.  That was the big driver when we last looked into it.

Yes, I genuinely believe so.  I especially believe that if people are searching for my product, e.g. Google searching for "Washington Gifts" that if I was in the top 3 results that that my sales would skyrocket because these people are actually in the market to buy a Washington themed gift for a friend or family member, this is like a 5% conversion rate for me.  However, I have noticed that with social media advertising I do get a lot of visits, but it's mostly "looky-loo's" who are curious and then spend 30 seconds on my page and aren't really interested in buying.  So, yes I understand what you're saying, but I think that Google search-lead visitors are high percentage buyers.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 10:09:14 AM »

Yes, I genuinely believe so.  I especially believe that if people are searching for my product, e.g. Google searching for "Washington Gifts" that if I was in the top 3 results that that my sales would skyrocket because these people are actually in the market to buy a Washington themed gift for a friend or family member, this is like a 5% conversion rate for me.  However, I have noticed that with social media advertising I do get a lot of visits, but it's mostly "looky-loo's" who are curious and then spend 30 seconds on my page and aren't really interested in buying.  So, yes I understand what you're saying, but I think that Google search-lead visitors are high percentage buyers.
Great. Then in your case, I think I would find an SEO guy and get a day or 2 of work out of them, pick their brain, and hit all the low hanging fruit. 

We get bombarded with companies that want to do this for us, with recurring fees.  I’d stay away from that, I HATE subscriptions and software as a service.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »
I especially believe that if people are searching for my product, e.g. Google searching for "Washington Gifts" that if I was in the top 3 results that that my sales would skyrocket because these people are actually in the market to buy a Washington themed gift for a friend or family member, this is like a 5% conversion rate for me.

So your spending should be more on AdWords, then.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »
I especially believe that if people are searching for my product, e.g. Google searching for "Washington Gifts" that if I was in the top 3 results that that my sales would skyrocket because these people are actually in the market to buy a Washington themed gift for a friend or family member, this is like a 5% conversion rate for me.

I use Adwords a lot... problem is that it doesn't pay, or so I am beginning to realize.  My average CPC is around $1.00 and I make $20.00 a box on average.  So if I am getting a 5% conversion rate (which is pretty damn optimistic), that basically costs me $20.00 in advertising per sale... you can see the problem here.  If I were able to be in the top 3 searches organically, I'd be in much better shape.  I'm not sure exactly what happened to Adwords, last Christmas I was averaging more like $0.45 CPC for the same keywords.

MaaS

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 02:49:07 PM »

I use Adwords a lot... problem is that it doesn't pay, or so I am beginning to realize.  My average CPC is around $1.00 and I make $20.00 a box on average.  So if I am getting a 5% conversion rate (which is pretty damn optimistic), that basically costs me $20.00 in advertising per sale... you can see the problem here.  If I were able to be in the top 3 searches organically, I'd be in much better shape.  I'm not sure exactly what happened to Adwords, last Christmas I was averaging more like $0.45 CPC for the same keywords.

Of the sales you have today, is there a trend in income percentile, age, gender, location? Get that data from Google Analytics then use audience bid adjustments to only show ads to those types of people. It stacks the deck in your favor. Also, use responsive ads if you're not already doing so. They'll really help your Quality Score which is what determines your CPC (it's not the same for all bidders).

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
Also make sure where you redirect your target audience ads, are meaningful. To have a Google Ad and then just redirect them to your generic product page is inefficient. You have to build a dedicated landing page so it has meaning to the audience that clicked that ad. Make it engaging and without many distractions. Also are you using pixels for retargeting? The cost of CPC may come down when you keep advertising to people that actually went to your site or to specific pages.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »
it's also worthwhile to become better at your google adwords in terms of excluding unwanted visitors. you need to block your ads for "washington gifts" from people who go on to write dc, or george, or post, or umm, whatever other famous washingtons there are, like famous people from sports, or popular events that might have gifts or ecommerce but don't really mean your Washington.  You can see, in adwords, what exact phrases brought people to you and the exclude and narrow your phrases so you don't pay those kind of clicks anymore, and in doing so, your CPC will fall and the quality of your visitors will rise. 

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »
Attracting viewers with intent to buy a Washington-themed gift is going to have a lot of competition including from those whose per-unit overhead costs are lower.

How about a blog providing useful information your your likely sales target? Don't over-sell in the blog, just provide useful info that's not well covered by other search results. Then you'll have an audience (cheaply) that may already see you as an authority on Washington and you can convert some of that to sales, perhaps.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 07:26:24 AM »
If you can't profit off AdWords, then you don't have a real business.  Sorry to be blunt.  But I would be focusing on paid advertising first.  VERY closely tracking and monitoring conversions.  Once you figure that out, the sky is the limit.  But if you are spending money on clicks and can't sell anything, it may be time to rethink what you are selling or your approach to selling it.  You can pay to be at the top of the search results for given keywords.  Are you paying for ridiculously broad keywords like "washington gifts"?  What would people even search for who may be interested in your products?  I would think almost nobody is searching for your stuff directly as it's too niche.  People don't look for stuff they don't know about.

Facebook Ads would seem like a better option.  Or specifically corporate gifts.  But even then, if I'm buying a corporate gift, am I interested in a Washington State themed gift basket for a client in Texas?  Probably not.  It's a very touch business you are in.  You need to crack the code of where your specific customers are and how to reach them.  A broad net (SEO) is probably not the correct course at this time.  If you can get the business going and earning, then hiring a highly reputable SEO company at some point may make sense, but right now you need to be selling, directly.  And that may include simply picking up the phone and cold calling.

Have you looked at selling through a distributor?  Tons of promo product companies sell corporate gifts.  Find the best promo companies IN Washington State and pitch your Washington themed gifts to them.  For example.  Or reach out to some larger companies like 4Imprint.  Or consider listing your items on ASI/Distributor Central/SAGE. Instead of the Washington logo on the top of the box/sticker, have WashingtonInABox on the front and a clients logo/message on the top.

There is a ton of things you can do.  And it all starts with simply selling.  Launching a website and hoping it becomes popular via SEO and $75/mo in AdWords, you are going to be on a rough road.  You don't even want to know my AdWords budget!

The point of gifts like this is to get attention.  Send something unique and different, memorable.  That would be the approach I'd take with how I'd pitch it.  Clients get chocolates and gift baskets all the time.  They stick it in the break room and forget it.  This is a product that is different and they will remember.

SEO?  Nah.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:34:11 AM by EngagedToFIRE »

belly05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 09:36:36 AM »
TLDR: Yes if you find the right person to run an SEO campaign for your website it can be insanely profitable but these people are very rare.  They are rare because if someone can structure and run an effective SEO campaign why would they do it for your business for a few thousand dollars, when they could do it for their own business and make a few hundred thousand dollars?  Most of the minor “SEO” offerings you see for a few hundred dollars are a complete waste of time.  A proper SEO campaign is something that takes several years to fully execute.  That’s the bad news, but the good news is SEO is a skill that is very easy to approach and learn. I’ll outline a list of effective techniques you can use on your website below.  You can do everything yourself, learn a new skill, and build your business!

This is written from the perspective that your website is built in WordPress.

1.)   Setup Your Website:
        a.   There are loads of great website hosting companies, one of the best for small scale beginner websites is Bluehost.  If you are just starting your website select the Basic plan from this page: https://www.bluehost.com/hosting/shared
        b.   Make sure to activate your Free SSL certificate.  Link all your images over HTTPS and all of your sites pages as well.  HTTPS is a ranking signal: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html
        c.   Claim Your sites webmaster tools account, this lets you see your organic traffic rankings: https://www.google.com/webmasters/#?modal_active=none

2.)   Identifying Your Target Audience:
        a.   Using Google keyword planner research your keywords: https://ads.google.com/home/tools/keyword-planner/
        b.   Install google analytics on your website, link it with your webmaster tools account, setup goals, and annotate every time you make a tweak. Learn the inns and outs of analytics here: https://analytics.google.com/analytics/academy/

3.)   Install the Yoast SEO plugin on your site (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-seo/). 
        a.   Take the keywords you researched in step two and incorporate them into your website
Code: [Select]
<title>most important | second | 3rd | site title/name <title>
<meta name="A proper description of your website that hopefully utilizes the most important phrase from your title">
meta content="INDEX, FOLLOW" name="GOOGLEBOT">
<meta name="distribution" content="Global">
<meta name="rating" content="Family">
<meta name="language" content="English">
<meta name="robots" content="noodp, noydir">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="7 days">
<meta name="dc.identifier" content="https://yourwebsite.com">

*Do this for process for every major page of your website to ensure each page is properly targeting the terms and phrases you want it too.

4.)   Increase your websites speed:
        a.   Use these free tools to identify where you can improve your site speed:
                i.   https://tools.pingdom.com/
                ii.   https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
                iii.   https://gtmetrix.com/
                iv.   *Make the needed changes or hire a developer to assist.  This is not like a grade in school, it’s not imperative that you get a 100%.  Just remember that every second of load time you shave off can increase your conversions by 7%: https://neilpatel.com/blog/loading-time/

5.)   Setup your Adwords Campaign
        a.   **Don’t start spending money to advertise your site until you have completed the first 4 steps.  If your site is slow and not targeted when you send visitors there the site will not convert.  Plus if the site is not targeted well you will have a lower quality score and spend more $$ for each click: https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/140351?hl=en
        b.   Create an adwords campaign, link it to your analytics account and track your conversion rate.
        c.   A/B test your ad text every month to improve your click through rate and quality scores. 
        d.   Adwords is a discipline in and of itself.  Complete the courses here to become an adwords certified partner: (https://landing.google.com/academyforads/#?modal_active=none) and then when you get really good you can win prizes from google, like the picture of my buddy and me below on a free trip to their campus :)

6.)   Setup a remarketing campaign through either (https://www.adroll.com/) or (https://www.criteo.com/).

7.)   Run a link building campaign.  This is a very long play, try to think of a way to add value for other people and attract links.  I’ve had success in the past by starting program/event that can naturally attract attention like a fundraiser or scholarship.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »
WOW!  Thank you for the post ^ .  I have some work to do...