Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 47026 times)

overdrive23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
Hey Fellow Mustachian Biz Owners!

Who you are: Brian - Former Gym owner that knew nothing about running a business but sold for a profit this year. I love helping people and figured that helping a business allows me to help more people faster. I still (sorta) use my college degree for good.

What you do (commonly known as your elevator pitch):
My Past:I owned a CrossFit gym for 5.5 yrs (just sold 3/18)
My Now;
Job #1: I run a small ecommerce Coffee company Anvil Coffee (www.anvilcoffeecompany.com) that I really just started to get myself good/cheap coffee when we were expecting our first child. Now I have it set up to donate (per bag sold) to different charities. I cut checks at Xmas time each year :)
Job #2: I am a part time Mechanical Engineer (3x a week) working remotely from home.
Job #3: I do Facebook Ad Management for small businesses.

Your biggest entrepreneurial/business challenge: Getting back into the groove after having our first kid. I used to be SO strict and scheduled with what processes were done on certain days & I'd be great at making time for continuing education (reading)...now, not so much. I am tired haha!

Your best piece of advice for others: Find a mentor & delegate

Your favorite Entrepreneurial/business resource: TwoBrainBusiness.com

jasondepew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »
Who you are

Hi, my name is Jason and I'm an aspiring Mustachian.

What you do (commonly known as your elevator pitch)

I fly for a major US airline. Yes, it's a job, but I love flying so much that I'd be doing it even if I didn't work. Why pay hundreds of dollars to fly when my company can pay me thousands to enjoy flying, and puts me up in fancypants hotels all over the country a few nights a month for free?

I also do some freelance flight instruction and writing.

Your biggest entrepreneurial/business challenge

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to form/structure my company to minimize liability and maximize tax benefits.

Your best piece of advice for others

The world has so few Mustachians that demand for everything is essentially unlimited. Find something that you enjoy doing or making and then find an optimization that lets you sell that to others at increased quality or decreased price.

Your favorite Entrepreneurial/business resource

The "How I Built This" podcast

stpetesonya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Who you are
I'm Sonya an engineer from Columbus, OH. 

After attending #Stashmont aka. the Pop-Up Business School in Sept 2018, I started my own business SnackRoots.com
It's a free tool that helps teachers/parents generate shareable safe snack lists for classrooms, teams, parties, for groups of people with multiple food allergies, celiac, or other intolerances.  I created it because I'm a mother of 3, 2 of my children have multiple food allergies. 

Finding skilled full-stack software engineers that can help me code/test site upgrades.  SnackRoots.com is a free tool, and it's new.  Being FI I don't want to dip into our savings to finance future upgrades as my site is not yet generating revenue.  Speaking of revenue, do you have any ideas for building revenue beyond advertising?

I'm such a young entrepreneur, I don't feel comfortable giving advice... other than: Don't wait, GO FOR IT!

Pop-up Business School UK & USA

basilesamel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »
Hi mustachian entrepreneurs :)

- Who you are
I am Basile, 24, France. Just graduated from college as a software engineer. Now building my own companies while traveling in South-East Asia.

- What you do (commonly known as your elevator pitch)
I am making tech products, more specifically Software-as-a-Service products. On one hand I make legalbots at my startup Justinien with two cofounders. On the other hand I own a one-man business where I make my own products.

- Your biggest entrepreneurial/business challenge
Talking to people (I'm usually shy and quite an introvert). But I'm getting better at it.

- Your best piece of advice for others
1) Get people involved in your tech ventures by making in public ! Real people don't steal ideas + you will meet awesome people ! :D
2) If you are young and free, go nomad by relocating to cheap countries to improve your runway significantly.

- Your favorite Entrepreneurial/business resource
The Indie Hackers community !

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »

Who you are
I am a 26 year old male in his last semester of a MIS degree

I currently buy and sell high end PC's and gym equipment

Getting robbed multiple times (the stories I have). Taxes. Budgeting work life balance. Expanding past a certain point. Dealing with missing great deals due to other obligations/distances. Separating business and personal inflow outflow especially since it's primarily cash based.

Have a plan and a backup plan

I like a lot of youtube channel

Goals for Revenue/Income
40k a year/5 hours a week. This year is at 42k with 3 months left (but I did help a friend sell a house by owner for 1.5% which netted me 6800). Last year wasn't this good.

gavint

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »

Who you are
Landscaper, Gardener and Arborist - Gärtnermeister Garten- und Landschaftsbau, European Tree Technician (ISA Master Arborist equivalent), Journeyman Landscape Horticulturist. 

Play with dirt, climb trees

Bureaucracy, difficult suppliers and road traffic.

Pretend every job you do is for yourself, keep the standard high, be approachable, flexible and friendly (really rare quality among tradespeople for some reason), and people will call you back for more.  Oh, and if you're operating in Germany, don't bother with advertising, you only get work in the trades by word-of-mouth.

There's a forum here for English-speaking expats in Germany called Toytown, there is a lot of surprisingly good information there, particularly with regards to navigating the government hurdles associated with being alive in this country.

george_michael

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Embrace the new, always.
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
Hellow there everyone.

Mike here. This thread is very structured and I like the primary questions asked here. But let me tell a thing or two first.

I am new here. You can see me as a new mustachian, ha ha. Anyway, after getting some free time today, I was roaming here and there in money mustache. Was looking for a nice thread to continue. Suddenly this segment 'entrepreneurship' stole my eyes. And after reading the title of the very first thread, well I was kind of excited. I mean, why not! i am on a verge of getting acquainted with nationwide entrepreneurs! and after watching some of the replies above, I got exciting people doing exciting work everywhere. Especially a head up for RetirementManifesto. What he doing is inspiring me. Even after getting a good salary, he still renovates for something new. And being an aged guy, he still dreams of doing something new, and I love his idea, blogging on retirement planning.

Who you are
Completed my graduation on BBA a while back. During my studies, the power of proper advertising, what can I say - kind of oscillated me. And in this era of the internet, many people can be reached via this medium. I  am currently working on becoming an expert at internet marketing sector.

I did a job for some days. Bored me like hell. And then the thought of being self-employed hit me. As said before, most of the time of mine is being spent behind becoming an internet marketer.

Currently, I am suffering to manage everything. Internet marketing is a vast sector and a lot of things need to be kept organized, which I am not being able to.

For business resource? well, I have a lot to be mentioned which I am not gonna be. That'll be arduous, ha ha. But for an entrepreneurial resource, I am getting this entrepreneurship threads from mrmoneymustache exciting.

that'd be all for the moment. stay in touch.

Maxim_Gaines

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2018, 01:03:04 PM »
Hey All!

Started lurking here while I was still in the 9-5. Looking to give back after learning alot from my journey in entrepreneurship.

Who you are
Chemical Engineer turned Businessman. Got started with Amazon and now own and manage a full service Digital Marketing Agency

Owner and proprietor of an Amazon brand, Youtube brand and a Digital Agency based in North Carolina

Stop poking holes in my own ideas and to build the "burning" desire necessary to build, manage and operate a business (just gotta do it!)

My favorite inspiration is probably Grant Cardone and Russell Brunson. They are shrewd businessmen but if you listen closely, the same theme is addressed at all times and that's how to sell. Learned most that I needed to know from them without being taken to the bank.

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2019, 09:44:03 PM »
Hello All! 

Who you are
If I want to sound all fancy, I say I'm a "Fibre Artist"

I design patterns for knitters and crocheters.  I also teach knitting and crochet classes, too!

Organization/administration.  I must remember where I put all. the. things.

Value your work!  Your time, money, and expertise is valuable!

Get in touch with entrepreneurship programs in your area.   I did a city-sponsored business start up program, and it was -so- helpful on how to actually build a business, rather then just futzing around with half-an-idea.  Plus, I have a business mentor who I can bounce ideas off of.  So helpful!

TheGadfly

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
Hi All,

I'm a healthcare policy researcher by day and I do some business consulting on the side.

Most of my side hustle consists of writing business and marketing plans for start-up companies and entrepreneurs.

Finding clients who are willing to pay a fair price for quality work.

Track your hourly rate! Your time is valuable. This is tough when working with entrepreneurs with few resources but serious business owners are willing to pay more for quality.

YouTube - You can learn anything online.

Stretch67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Who you are
Pretty average Scandinavian guy from MN, with well above average drive and problem solving skills. Did well in k-12, although it was boring and I slept through most of it. Dabbled with my own contracting companies since 17 years old. Now 31 and have 9 years under my belt in industrial painting and coatings. Its a family business that I own with two partners.

Industrial maintenance coatings for municipalities and private industry, with a focus on energy and wastewater collections systems.

Growing the business. Selling to small governments is not like selling to homeowners etc. Our customers are not on social media, and in general not receptive/responsive to traditional marketing. It's the old fashioned, belly-2-belly and trade show sales process which turns into a long, slow sales cycle (over a year often). The fact the Public Works Supt's are bound by law and city councils, makes their decision process slow, and not always very rational (IMO).

You win, or you learn.

There is no such thing as a bad experience, I don't care what happens. I have had some very extreme things happen to me/family in my life, and I try my best to treat them all as learning experiences. Losing, and failure does NOT exist. Well at least for me it doesn't. You only can fail if you quit.

Was it Churchill that said, "Optimism is dragging yourself from one failure to the next, with no loss of enthusiasm"?

Hmmm, I don't know. I do a TON of reading. I have been searching for a business mentor for several years now, but have not found "the one" yet.

Now that I think about it, my biggest resource may be the internet!

SmileAllDay

• Stubble
  • Traveling full-time with my wife since '16.
    • So, where were we?
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2019, 04:39:02 AM »
First off: This forum has changed my life. Thank you all. I've been on it for quite a while without posting on this thread.

Who you are
Irish guy, relatively new US citizen (U.S.A.!), and full-time traveler.

No elevator pitch here. I'm a writer. I travel full-time with my wife and we've lived in over 30 cities in Europe. Actually... check out my blog :D

Just putting it all away, man, while still taking advantage of the unique situation my wife and I are fortunate enough to be in.

Just worry about your own percentages. Don't compare your $50,000 to someone else's $50,000— they're not the same.

This website and forum has got to be right up there. We are so lucky to have this amount of information available to us. The trick is honing in on what you need.

klfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Flex Workweek
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2019, 02:57:11 PM »
Who you are
Scientist and software developer, previously worked in pharma and biotech, currently giving myself a year "off" to work on some company ideas.

#1: part-time consulting related to my former work (this is "successful", but, not exciting)
#2: building software for pharma/biotech (no sales yet, so this is on ice right now)
#3: flexworkweek.com, which is the reason I'm creating this profile. Companies subscribe to host a company profile for 6-12 months. I'm so excited about this and would love to get feedback from people here. If you are in HR or hire others, and you sometimes offer flex arrangements, would you post your company profile on this site? If not, why not?

Changing cultural attitudes about "success = work crazy hours". Even in MMM's recent post about success-itis he mentioned "sucking at work". So many people on MMM are exiting the workforce. Can't someone "give 100%" 20hr/week and then go for a hike and hang out with their kid? And wouldn't employers prefer that over burnout? We'll see.

I love so many of the others mentioned here... be honest, keep learning... I can't say I've figured it all out yet though.

Talk to people who work in the industry you are targeting! And in particular, talk to the people making purchasing decisions (something I have struggled with so far).

ruttiAA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:51 AM »
Hi all,

I've been scrolling through this forum, trying to figure out my next big step in life.

I'm 19 years old, finishing up my exams in high school and the most obvious route is to pick a university. Either psychology or economics has my interest if I go in this direction.

However, my brother is an entrepreneur (one of his businesses is https://airdropalert.com/). And he offered me to come work for him for a year, to see what that life is like. Since I'm not sure which study I want to pick, and to be honest i'm not sure if I want to study at all. His offer looks very appealing to me.

For salary, he said I would start with minimum wage, but I currently make more doing door to door sales where I earn more per hour, plus get a commission. His argument is, that I would learn more at the company than in any school, so I'de be investing in my own future.

Who you are
High school student, door to door salesman in the weekend.

#1: Door to door sales

Do I go for entrepreneurship or master degree?

I'm too young to give advice, but I'm more than happy to receive some

Forums, Ted talks and Youtube vids

affable

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »
Question 1: Public School Teacher

Question 2: I am a teacher full time. My blog is my side hustle! www.affablewellness.com is where I blog about holistic wellness!

Question 3: I'm not having too many challenges, I have read books and have taken courses online. I also listen to podcasts. I'm well equipped.

Question 4: Financial freedom is definitely worth seeking. You deserve peace of mind!

Question 5: ChooseFI podcast, Online Marketing Made Easy podcast, Beautiful Money book by Leanne Jacobs

freedomseeker254

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Danielle Lindblom
    • Life Coach for Adventurers and Freedom Seekers
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2020, 06:57:46 AM »
My people!!! :D

Pleased to meet you all.

Who you are

I'm Danielle Lindblom, a 31 year old badass woman with the heart of an adventurer. I'm an introvert, a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), and the owner of two Border Collies. I live for days on the road traveling to national parks.

What you do

I am a life coach. I help people to remember their strength, get focused on what they want, and finally make it happen. Life is too short for fear to get in the way of what you want most. My superpower is cutting through the superficial (also known as BS) to get to the truth of what is beneath it all. A coach allows you to see what you cannot see by yourself, and it can be a powerful thing!

daniellelindblom.com

I also provide online video coaching to performance, sport, working, and service dog teams through my dog behavior website highspiritsdogtraining.com . As a service dog handler myself and with two performance dogs, I know how challenging it can be to maintain a strong relationship when the pressure is high. I have a five year background in dog training and behavior and am a certified professional dog trainer and behaviorist.

highspiritsdogtraining.com

Last, but not least, I write blog posts about traveling, hiking, and camping with dogs on my personal blog theadventuredogblog.com . I have trail guides, campsite guides, and tips as well as posts about my personal journey towards freedom.

theadventuredogblog.com

My biggest challenge has been growth, but if I chew that finer and go deeper, it has been cultivating confidence. You need so much more confidence and inner strength to make it as a full time entrepreneur. To brave the unknown, to last through the ups and downs, and to persevere. I also have health challenges, so navigating that at the same time has been difficult.

Currently, I'm back on my feet and ready to take on the world and help people :)

Avoid isolating. It can be so easy to fall into doing everything yourself, working harder, and avoiding people. Introverts are not the only people that can fall into this trap. Isolating was my personal downfall, and it impacted my health and wellbeing, not only my business.

My advice is to build a team. Support. Expertise. Reach out for help both in business and in your personal life. When you are bolstered by community, you can do anything!

My team has included business consultants, life coaches, therapists, doctors, friends, family, marketing consultants, photographers, fellow entrepreneurs, meetups, organizations, and my network.

The fact that I've been sitting here for a solid 5 minutes trying to think of a good answer to this question means it's not an easy question! I believe that success as an entrepreneur has to involve an element (or, if I'm being honest, requires) of you believing in yourself. To that end, my top resources as self-help-oriented.

Impact Theory
Simon Sinek
Local women entrepreneur meetups (for me this has been Tuesday's Together or Rising Tide)

Write your own book. Forge your own path. Take insights from others (meaning these resources), but do what feels right.

Best of luck on your own journey!

Danielle

requiredwhen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »
Who you are
39 year old who has bounced around from graphic design, drilling, restaurant ownership, advertising, Amazon FBA, Farming.

What you do
I just sold my Amazon FBA business and am investing the funds into a farm I bought a few years ago. We’re growing pine nuts.

Restructuring my life around the farm and planning the new food brand.

Meet people in real life who are in the same boat as you. Help them as much as you can and ask them for help.

The book “Traction”. It really helps me focus and organize my business life.

couscous

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Figuring it out with a little help from my friends
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
Who I am and what I do
I am a mother of a two-year-old, a marketing technologist, and I want to develop a product in prep for when I’m FI.
I’m currently working on creating a prototype for a housewares product and am stuck and looking for help here to get un-stuck.

Right now my biggest challenge is getting stuck in the details and working solo on something I don’t know how to do. Although I don’t consider myself a perfectionist I find that I hide behind this excuse and don't make progress towards my goal of starting my own business.

My favorite Entrepreneurial/Business resource
Seth Godin’s blog, here’s a post that may be useful to this sub-forum: https://seths.blog/2015/04/how-to-ta/

FIbutnoRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Dreamer of dreams, chaser of things
    • buy my time
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:13 AM »
Who you are
  Father of 3 adventurous boys

I build software. Most recently buytime.co - the easiest way to schedule and pay for someone's time.

Imposter syndrome and believing that I'm not capable of changing the world.

Always chase passion. If you don't love what you are doing, do something else.

https://playbook.samaltman.com/

mrplutus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2020, 07:45:27 AM »
Who you are
Hey Mustachian's! I'm a Texas based web developer and site builder.

What you do
By day I run a web dev/consulting company.  For years I've burned out trying to scale a service company around startup clients.  Not to say it can't be done, just that I've learned: a) it's really hard and... b) it's not for me.

Today I'm passionate about learning how to start and grow an authority site.  I've been creating free tax tools for entrepreneurs and small business owners.  I want to make the most undisputedly-amazing tools for visualizing your taxes and discovering savings.

You can find all these tools and resources here: https://beforetax.co/.  Btw would absolutely love any feedback!

I'm new to building Authority sites and a major challenge is balancing content creation with promotion.  Basically hiring qualified writers, reviewing, and making sure the content gets in front of an interested audience.  Each step is like it's own art-form.

TLDR; finding writers and marketing.

An important lesson I'm learning is to grow you need to be brutally honest with yourself about what you're not good at and try to replace yourself from that job.  For example: I suck at writing and I'm really slow. A much better use of my time is finding new content ideas.

I'm nervous to say this but... "money Twitter".  There's some hot garbage there to be sure, however there's a lot of great inspiration too.  Specifically people like @/jackbutcher and @/david_perell, whom are actually building businesses, produce excellent content!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:02:34 AM by mrplutus »

fairfaxbiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »
Who you are

Hi everyone!  I've been a Mustachian since 2011 and FIRED myself in 2014.

After leaving my sales job at megacorp in 2014, I designed and built my own house.  I've mostly been full time dad and hobbyist filling my days with bike rides, yard work and insourcing everything I used to pay others to do. I'd like to start my own small business and that is why I am here.

Always do what you say you are going to do and do it when you say you are going to do it

Since today is my first day on my journey...feel free to recommend one for me.

asorense

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2020, 01:41:50 PM »
Who you are
I have been an ecommerce product manager, and I've worked for various ecommerce middlemen for a decade, and thankfully now do not have a FT office job. : ) I like to go on long bike rides! Currently living on California's beautiful Central Coast.

Now I'm working with a partner on our own project: Penny Wise Cash Back, which is a browser extension for comparing cash back rates.

Marketing! We have a good product but are usually internal-facing people. Need to figure out how to get our tool in the hands of people who can benefit from it.

Go slow and make things into a habit!!!

I just read Atomic Habits by James Clear, and really like his approach.

goodmoneygoodlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Good Money Good Life
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2021, 11:56:52 AM »
Who you are
Just someone that's looking to FatFIRE

I currently work a W-2 with e-commerce as my main side hustle. Recently, I've started a blog as well as the side hustle to the side hustle.

Logistics. We've got good product/market fit and can sell products, but we run out a lot. Figuring out how to do inventory properly when refilling the warehouse takes around 2 months.

Know your strengths and make money around that to maximize your chances of winning.

Youtube

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2022, 12:51:35 PM »
Who you are
A subject matter expert in conservation education, nonprofit management, and wildfire preparedness and recovery, who burned out (literally and figuratively), took a sabbatical, and is now sticking toes in the water of consulting.

Grant writing, communications consulting, & strategic advising for small nonprofits.

How do I even do this self-employment/business owner thing?

Have a go bag and evac plan (and a biz resiliency plan since we're in this subforum!)

Haven't got one, yet!

TheCheckStand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The CheckStand
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2023, 04:29:44 AM »
Who you are
A set decorator for film and television, doing affiliate marketing on the side between gigs

I run a website - https://www.thecheckstand.com where I review products and promote gift guides.

industry and market saturation, currently too many similar websites to compete.

learn SEO and basic website coding

use social media Tiktok