Author Topic: I just saw a new side-hustle opportunity that's kind of like Uber called Shipt  (Read 3339 times)

pianomom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My friend just emailed our local moms group about a company she started working with called Shipt. I'm not affiliated with the company, but I thought I'd pass this information along. She says you shop grocery orders for clients and then deliver them. After tips, she says she makes $15-$25/order. She does it while her kids are in school. It sounds like a flexible option to make some extra cash. I don't think it's available in all markets yet, but it sounds like it's growing.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
This sounds very similar to Instacart, Taskrabbit, etc.  I'm sure they are sort of useful for people with a couple hours to kill, but they don't scale (demand is the limiting factor in most cases), and you are still just trading your time+gas for a pittance.  If I wanted to make $10 an hour working in a grocery store, I'd just work for a grocery store.
Instacart and Taskrabbit only work in specific (big) cities.  Very few side-gigs scale; it's not a requirement.  Virtually all jobs are trading your time + whatever for compensation.  The grocery store isn't going to let you work when you can / want to.  And their job won't scale either.
I fail to see a point to your post.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
I think there should be a P-2-P service like Uber but with vans or pickups for when people need to move something.  I thought (hoped) that's what this thread was about.

pianomom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My friend just emailed our local moms group about a company she started working with called Shipt. I'm not affiliated with the company, but I thought I'd pass this information along. She says you shop grocery orders for clients and then deliver them. After tips, she says she makes $15-$25/order. She does it while her kids are in school. It sounds like a flexible option to make some extra cash. I don't think it's available in all markets yet, but it sounds like it's growing.

This sounds very similar to Instacart, Taskrabbit, etc.  I'm sure they are sort of useful for people with a couple hours to kill, but they don't scale (demand is the limiting factor in most cases), and you are still just trading your time+gas for a pittance.  If I wanted to make $10 an hour working in a grocery store, I'd just work for a grocery store.

I had heard of Taskrabbit but didn't realize it was similar. I agree that a job like this doesn't scale, won't make you rich, and for most people isn't worth it. Who I can see benefit from gigs like this are SAHMs who may be looking for extra money but need a very flexible job. Perhaps their kids are in school/preschool for just a few hours or their spouse has a very demanding job with travel and so regular part-time/full-time work is difficult for their family situation. 

As a former SAHM with a lot of SAHM friends and family members, another thing that jobs like this offer besides the extra cash is something to put on your resume if you want to re-enter the workforce after a decade of staying home. It's getting your toe back in the door, the satisfaction of having a paycheck (even if it's smaller) that you earned on your own, and an activity/identity outside of family responsibilities. And stepping back into the job force may encourage some people to get a better job or start their own business.

Truthfully, I don't know much about the company since I only heard about it through email. But I thought that some people might benefit from learning about another company out there that's a flexible way to earn some extra money.

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
I think there should be a P-2-P service like Uber but with vans or pickups for when people need to move something.  I thought (hoped) that's what this thread was about.

Uberhaul, a great idea!  Plus moving the items would provide some great exercise.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!