Author Topic: I've just hired myself to be a part-time Artist  (Read 5347 times)

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've just hired myself to be a part-time Artist
« on: April 29, 2017, 09:08:46 AM »
I've just had the idea to hire myself as an artist. It's one of my goals to get enough art together so I can start going to art sales in my neighborhood and to conventions eventually. I just find that I never make enough time for it. I might get one picture done a week if I'm lucky. I'm not financially independent and I have a full time job at a local family owned grocery store. I remember reading your money or your life and I think they talked about the idea that after people get out of work they just waste their time on the couch trying to recover from the day. In my mind there's 168 hours in a week. I only work about 38 hours a week, I probably spend about 3 1/3 hours driving a week (which is really depressing when I put it on paper) I give myself 20 minutes to get there and 20 back. I work 5 days a week normally. So that's 41 1/3 hours a week towards work. That leaves me with 126 2/3 hours. Knowing myself I probably spend 63 hours (9 hrs x 7) sleeping. So were at 63 2/3 hours left in my week. I feel with that amount left I should be able to suck out 20 hours a week for my new part-time job I've hired myself for as an artist. I own my own house with my boyfriend so there's around the house stuff I'll have to accomplish but I feel I can make it work. Maybe If I tell my boyfriend I have two jobs now I can get him to clean more :P If not I mean, my boss might fire me, so I better get with it. Having this mind set I feel will really help me get things done. This way if people ask me what I do for a living I can tell them what I really am, and that's an artist. I'll probably write my hours down on a work based notebook. This will also help me see how much time I put into a certain piece to help me price it later. I'm thinking I'll start Monday since that's the beginning of my other jobs work week and it'll help me keep things straight. I also always have Mondays off so that'll help me get organized at the beginning of the week. I'm thinking I'll make a facebook page for my new business if anyone cares to see it in the future. Well I've written a giant paragraph so if you've managed to read all this thank you very much and I'd appreciate any encouragement. If you care to see some of my work here's my etsy page. (HOLY SHIT I JUST CHECKED MY ETSY SHOP AND I MADE MY FIRST SALE I"M SO FREAKING EXCITED) Okay sorry about that here's the shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmilyAnnsArt?ref=hdr_shop_menu    It's funny I was considering not doing the etsy shop anymore because they charge like .40 cents for each item for every 3 months you have it up or so. I'm motivated!

khizr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I've just hired myself to be a part-time Artist
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
Congrats :), I love the energy and embrace it! A ton of passion is coming through this post and it is always great to see something like this. I love your style, it is beautiful :). You might not be charging enough as I was surprised how low it was even for digital.

Does etsy charge like that for digital too?

Are you thinking of selling the physical artwork down the road a bit? I wasn't clear no that part.

Just to chime in with some totally unrequested advice :), don't be afraid to commercialize your art, esp at the start. Find a niche that helps you build a name. An example would be wedding vow art, my wife and I paid $600+ for A custom piece of art around our wedding vows from this shop the mirrored something we put on my ring (https://www.etsy.com/shop/AAstudio). Everyone who sees it loves it and we give them her name.

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »
Well it's three in the morning where I'm at and I can't sleep because of some stupid medicine I had to take that has caffeine in it. While I'm trying to waste my time before I can fall asleep I made the mistake of checking Etsy and realized I didn't make a sale, someone just favorited something and my caffeine hype made me not read the whole message properly. Whoops. I'm trying not to get too bummed out about it. (I'm mostly just embarrassed at my excessive excitement) Anyway!

@ khizr

Etsy does charge the .40 cents per item on digital items too, I think it's a three month period you get the post for. I'm thinking I'll sell the physical work at local sales to save on the hassle of shipping and packaging. That's something that could change in the future if people were willing to pay more for it. (And if I can figure out how to do it efficiently) On the cheap prices part... I have a few ideas as to why I have them at that price.
1. I live in an area where people don't have a lot of money so I guess I'm just pricing it at what I would be willing to pay at what I think is a fair price. (I'm probably the wrong person to model my price point at considering I never buy anything)
2. I'd rather make sales then turn people off with a price.
I should probably look more into what other people are charging. I'm just a price chicken I suppose. I think I've always been this way.
I'm also thinking of selling 4 x 6 prints of my pictures at the art sales. The price in my head for those was 2 dollars each because they cost so little to make. I'm sure I'll be told by everyone that isn't a customer that that's too cheap. So I suppose if anyone has recommended prices for things before I self destruct I'd take the advice. My original paintings I put in frames(I paint the frames too) and I'd sell them at the art sale in town at $20-$30 dollars depending on the size.
On the topic of your last bit of advice, the one thing I had in mind was making images that could be used for edible image printers. I do the cake decorating at my work and I had a vague dream of asking my boss if I could offer some of my pictures as edible images to customers. My only concern is that maybe the edible image company doesn't let you buy from other dealers or something? A contract of some sort. I won't really know unless I ask. That was just one idea anyway. Thank you for the response btw!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:10:21 AM by maglomanic »

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 01:16:10 AM »
Well I was off on the etsy facts. It lasts for 4 months, and they cost .20 cents. So that's a little better.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 01:23:12 AM »
Think of it this way:

Do you think your art is good?  Is it quality?

Do you think the customer perception is going to match your perception when they see a $5 price tag?

It's possible that they wouldn't buy at $5 precisely because they thought is was too cheap.

That being said, pricing is all about testing. But, to test you need traffic and data. And to get traffic and data, you need way way more than 15 listings on Etsy, unless you have another plan to drive traffic to your shop (Instagram or however)

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 01:37:44 AM »
That's a good point. I'm thinking I'll be doing a little more homework into seeing what items are selling at what price. I could always start selling: digital copies, prints, and original paintings. I know I'll start having more listings on there since I'm going to be dedicating time to it now. I've also noticed that original watercolor paintings go for a lot of money.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
Congrats on your new shop!  I recommend doing some reading up on SEO.  This lady is Etsy SEO queen:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/10713/etsy-relevancy-seo-and-stats

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
That was some helpful information on there. I'll have to read it again sometime. I always wondered why people had super long names for their stuff. Helps with being found. I'll have to start doing that. I'm going to look into a print shop near my house tomorrow and see what their prices are like. Considering selling the prints and original pieces instead of the digital copies.

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
Good for you! I just started reading a blog that has helpful information about business and marketing stuff for artists: http://www.lauracgeorge.com/blog/

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 11:05:28 AM »
I was about to go to bed yesterday then I started reading some of that blog. Some interesting stuff in there. I'll probably read it again.

VeggieGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »
When you're done reading that blog, here's another one: https://theabundantartist.com/blog/

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
I've got paintings for sale on my etsy now. Charging $50 for a watercolor painting. We'll see how it goes.

Beriberi

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
More unsolicited advice?

I would frame your original watercolors, or press them to wood or something.  Right now they look like cute little works, but they do not look like something I would buy to put on my walls.  Partly because I am lazy about hanging. I also might include the tag "nursery".

Even though this is not original and doesn't come with the frame, the way it is photographed makes it fell more like "real art" and thus more valuable.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/236974257/manatee-watercolor-print-manatee?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=watercolor%20nursery%20art%20manatee&ref=sc_gallery_2&plkey=7dfdfd9c60b7a2fbd41f1713c57a7c446eede168:236974257

maglomanic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
The nursery tag is a good idea. I could look into framing at some point. I'm not sure how much more that will make the shipping prices. Always ideas for the future at least.

Beriberi

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
Framing is expensive.  However, you can display them as though they are framed.  People know that if they are buying unframed art it will look like a piece of paper. However, your etsy shop should showcase your pieces as though they are fine art.  Buy one frame and rotate the pieces through for pictures. I'm not talking about what you should sell, just that you have lovely work that could be displayed better.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »
What a great idea! More artists should do this - I may start tomorrow (Saturday) :)

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »
The art world is a tough world. My better half works at a major museum and works with over $1 billion worth of art every day. I'm not big on art but I've mingled with the best. lol Funny story, we were once at this lecture. There were about 750 people there give or take.... every single person in the room had on either black or white except this 1 lady wearing a red blouse. I just thought that was funny. The office where she works is the same way... most all black or white.

Some of the most famous artists never knew. Who is to say you won't be famous some day either while you are living or after.... keep on keepin on....

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 09:37:57 PM »
I may be off base here, but my first thought when I saw you sold digital copies, was that a business person could commission you to create a set of iconic images for use throughout a powerpoint / graphics, to add interest, and pay you for a set of 8.  And you keep the rights to the original, but of course, you develop custom ones for the client.

You would need to help get the digital format to something that could be used electronically, however.   (?)