Author Topic: Employee handbooks  (Read 1490 times)

Fields of Gold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Employee handbooks
« on: May 29, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
Seems like employee handbooks are essential for an entrepreneur to have for the staff.  A handbook lays down the rules and policies for human resource issues.  Did you use a basic template and then have an attorney look over your handbook?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Employee handbooks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
I would suggest you borrow a couple from some similar businesses to use as a guideline in creating your own.

This is a very important document and can save an employers bacon if you have a signature and date as proof that the employee reviewed it all.
After drafting an original, updating and review of the employee manual was routine and ongoing as we got smarter and things changed.   We also got away from handing out written copies as they quickly became dated and obsolete, instead kept it online in the employee portal where they all had access.   New employees were required to review it and sign off at hire and existing employees were periodically required to do another review and updated sign off.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:04:59 AM »
This isn't quite what you're talking about... but we set up a firm wiki a while back to document how we roll. And it's been a really good move. Again, we used more for procedural stuff than policy stuff... But you could, I'm sure, use wiki approach for an employee handbook.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
Wiki or online version sound like the way to go. Traditional handbooks get skimmed and quickly filed away, and they are difficult to update.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »
Don't overlook this.  Spend a couple thousand bucks and have an attorney handle it.

The handbook is actually far more important than new entrepreneurs realize.  You need to have your employment docs perfectly in order.  Ask me how I know this could save you six figures in the long run..... 

I would not just use a template.  There are very specific legal aspects of the handbook and you need to make sure it's done correctly and implemented correctly.