Author Topic: Commercial Liability Insurance for a Handyman  (Read 1684 times)

fubarcamry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Commercial Liability Insurance for a Handyman
« on: September 17, 2021, 06:14:01 PM »
Hiya folks,

I'm a retired engineer, now working as a handyman part time, mostly as a subcontractor to one person, but also have done painting, flooring, etc on my own. We mostly work on complete remodel projects and whatever else comes up in our area. Been doing it for a year and now it's time to renew my commercial liability insurance. I initially went to the local agent as recommended by my contractor last year. My wife and I get our car insurance through Progressive, no agents involved, and I am assuming it should be simple enough and a better price to get this insurance on my own as well. A google search brings up tons of results, and I wasn't sure where to begin so I started with Progressive Commercial. Went through all the steps and it said something along the lines of they aren't a match but automatically referred me to Commercial Insurance Center. So they are working on a quote for me.

I am currently insured through the agent by Ohio Mutual for $718.00/year.
On my certificate it says:
Each Occurrence - 1,000,000
Damage to rented premises - $100,000 per occurrence
Medical Expense - any once person - $5,000
personal and ADV injury - $1,000,000
General Aggregate - $2,000,000
Products Comp/Op Agg - $2,000,000

Also, my current agent has on record that my gross receipts for the year are $20,000. If that affects anything. I assume, perhaps incorectly, that more work equals higher risk and therefore a higher premium.

Anyone in a similar boat...
Does it seem like I'm getting a decent rate already, or if it's worth checking around, who do use, or any ideas? Thanks!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
Re: Commercial Liability Insurance for a Handyman
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »
I'm in a white collar business, but I get my cgl through traveler's. Most agents underwrite through them anyway. They will send you a questionnaire to fill out and your rate will depend on business type and a few other variables.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Commercial Liability Insurance for a Handyman
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 09:09:24 AM »
To answer your question about rate, the common advice would be 3 quotes. 

For a handyman almost all of them should be willing to quote it.  I have a beauty based business and many commercial insurance isnt willing to even quote on the risk as it isnt their thing.

I dont have a favorite commercial insurance but I've used Hartford and Hiscox before to just throw some names out.