Author Topic: Advice hiring  (Read 1311 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Advice hiring
« on: November 12, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »
Hi,

I run a small business (third generation owner). We used to have a fairly large office staff but the employees have retired or move away and me and my dad were able to operate things smoothly but now we are at a critical point where we need more employees to sustain growth. I've hired a few people in the office that have not worked out, I think it is a combination of not hiring the right people and me not being good at training them in. I would love to get advice from anyone, preferably through DM.

Sorry I know this is a really broad inquiry.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Advice hiring
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 06:01:10 PM »
Any specifics that you’d want answered? I have 11 years in staffing / recruiting including 5+ years with my own company (though it’s been on hold since the start of covid). 

In general, hiring the right person takes a lot of time.   It’s really all about seeing enough resumes and profiles, making enough phone calls, and conducting enough interviews until you get the right people.  It’s either going to take you time or money (outsourcing).

Using paid tools to find profiles really only gets you a short part of the way there.  These tools are good at funneling you lots of candidate profiles, which may or may not be qualified.  They also can only attract candidates that are actively searching.   Basically, they are good at selecting people from a small pool of, arguably, the bottom tier of candidates.  Want the rockstar at xyz company? You need man hours to find and recruit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 04:10:54 AM »
I used to work in the industry. This might seem counterintuitive at first, but the best book I ever read on hiring was Ray Dalio's Principles.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
I used to work in the industry. This might seem counterintuitive at first, but the best book I ever read on hiring was Ray Dalio's Principles.

Thanks, I've heard great things about the book. I just ordered a kindle version.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
Any specifics that you’d want answered? I have 11 years in staffing / recruiting including 5+ years with my own company (though it’s been on hold since the start of covid). 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thank you for your message. I just sent you a DM.