Author Topic: Wiring for Ceiling Fan Switch  (Read 2862 times)

El_Viajero

• Stubble
Wiring for Ceiling Fan Switch
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »
So I'm replacing the 3-speed switch in a ceiling fan, and I can't get the little wire strands to go inside the slot/clip where they're supposed to live. I've twisted them as much as I can; they just don't go in there.

I'm wondering if this is feasible: I go get some solid copper wire, attach it to the other wire using wire nuts, and insert the solid wire into the switch.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work or would somehow be unsafe?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Wiring for Ceiling Fan Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
Not able to give an opinion if this would be fine, other than that the boxes that hold these things always seem to be full to the brim, and I wouldn't want to add more stuff.

I don't remember this being a problem when I did it. Are you sure there's not some sort of lever you need to press when you're inserting the wires to give them room, or a screw?

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
Not able to give an opinion if this would be fine, other than that the boxes that hold these things always seem to be full to the brim, and I wouldn't want to add more stuff.

I don't remember this being a problem when I did it. Are you sure there's not some sort of lever you need to press when you're inserting the wires to give them room, or a screw?

It'll be a little tight, but I can make it happen. No, there's no way to "open" the slots. I've tried everything, including inserting the wires in tandem with a paperclip. No dice.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:50:59 AM »
Using solid wire and wire nuts would work.  Another option is to use a soldering iron and tin the exposed part of the stranded wire, effectively turning it into a sort-of-solid wire, like this:

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »
I did it! It worked. I even got the wires for free. I went to my local hardware store, and they told me that they didn't sell that type of wire. They had some in the back, though, and just gave me a few pieces. Cut it to size, connected it with wire nuts, and voila! It works.

Yes, it was a little crowded inside the fan. I had to stuff everything in, but it seems to be fine.

Thanks for the tip about soldering. I know that's an option, but I've never needed to own a soldering iron before and probably won't need one any time soon. It looks like those cost about $40+, whereas the four wire nuts I bought only cost $0.40.