Author Topic: What would you do with tons of acorn squash (puree)?  (Read 6446 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
What would you do with tons of acorn squash (puree)?
« on: October 05, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »
A co-worker is begging us to take acorn squash off her hands and I am happy to oblige, but my husband isn't the biggest fan.  However, I find this odd as he's generally a fan of yams and sweet potatoes and anything loaded with butter and brown sugar.  I'm thinking that he's just never had it fixed in a way that he likes.

So I'm thinking of taking acorn squash, baking them and running them through the food processor to create puree that I can freeze that can be made into other dishes.

Suggestions?  Would you bother?

(I have a hard time turning down vitamin-loaded, home grown and FREE vegetables.)

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
Re: What would you do with tons of acorn squash (puree)?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:56:31 PM »
That's exactly what I would do. Just about anything you cook in the slow cooker can benefit from a little squash slipped in there, and in small amounts you don't even notice it. Voila! Extra vitamins and fiber without even trying.

FIREdancer

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 03:21:26 PM »
Yup, I would do exactly what you said: cook it, puree, and freeze.

That's what I do with pumpkin puree and I use it in soups or baked in muffins or bread.  I bet acorn squash would be just as good as pumpkin.  I just did a quick internet search and there's a bunch of tasty-looking acorn squash muffins.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 04:16:31 PM »
squash ravioli (intensive steps but tasty in the end recipe here) Used pumpkin, but squash would be just as good I imagine.

I've tried both of these soups with pumpkin and squash and turned out amazing:
http://cookieandkate.com/2015/roasted-butternut-squash-soup/
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/234985/savory-roasted-butternut-squash-soup/

And of course cakes, pies, muffins, sweet breads...

I also add pumpkin/squash puree to anything with tomato sauce for a smoother taste and texture just like adding carrots, it seems to cut down on the acidity while bumping the fiber/vitamins. It is lovely in lasagna as an extra flavor level. Usually just a few good tablespoons worth in the tomato sauce, but I did start adding an actual layer of it over the ricotta and it was divine and didn't make the lasagna taste bad at all... but YMMV, so go easy on the mixing in until you decide how much squash in your sauce works for you. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:19:26 PM by Frankies Girl »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »
Squash is delicious and the winter squash have a pretty long shelf life just sitting there at room temperature.

But if it were me... I might experiment making wine with it.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
I love a butternut squash lasagna and it is also pretty good in a ravioli.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
I would probably try making soup with some of it.  Saute an onion, a couple of apples, add chicken broth, the squash and puree.  You can also add sage, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maybe a little whole milk.  I love this with butternut squash.  Acorn squash isn't as tasty, I don't think, as it tends to  be watery and more stringy.  But it might be good pureed in soup.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »
I have not tried this recipe:  Acorn Squash Pie (like pumpkin pie, but not)
Idea seconded by NY Times blogger

Use it in place of pumpkin anywhere (with caveats)!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 07:31:42 PM »
Yep, use like pumpkin.
Bread, muffins, ravioli, in soups, pie, etc.

Since it will already smashed up, I imagine it will just disappear into a dish when added.

I like sweet potatoes with savory spices - sage, thyme, cumin, onion, garlic and crossover spices like ginger, coriander, and cardamom.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »
I make curried salmon pumpkin patties (have some in the oven as I type).  I would think salmon acorn squash patties would be good too.  Basic recipe uses a can of salmon (i use the sockeye salmon as it has more flavor than pink)...I dump all the juice and salmon into a bowl, dump a can of pumpkin puree (in your case this would be make 2 to 2.6 cups of acorn squash puree), then I add ground flaxseed as a nutritious binder (but you can use egg and bread crumbs if you like), season with curry powder and or dill.  Mix it all together and form patties that you can bake at around 350 for 15-20 mins per side.  Depends on your oven and such, but you can just watch it and flip when one side is sturdy.  Serve with a spicy mayo on a bun with lettuce and onions if you like.  Husband loves these.  Actually the batch I am making now has mashed up chickpeas as well as salmon and pumpkin. 

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Squash is delicious and the winter squash have a pretty long shelf life just sitting there at room temperature.

But if it were me... I might experiment making wine with it.

I agree with this, except that you should keep it in the coolest place in your house to preserve it longer.  This should only be done with fairly healthy squash that were picked at the right time. 

If OP's coworkers are anything like mine, the squash are going to be thin skinned, soft and/or punctured, in which case immediate cooking & freezing is the only good option!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:04:46 PM by Hotstreak »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »
I find acorn squash kinda bland but if it's ripe they are just as sweet as many other squashes. Great in baked goods.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 08:06:45 AM »
Add it to homemade mac and cheese. Yum! Invisible.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »

I also add pumpkin/squash puree to anything with tomato sauce for a smoother taste and texture just like adding carrots, it seems to cut down on the acidity while bumping the fiber/vitamins. It is lovely in lasagna as an extra flavor level. Usually just a few good tablespoons worth in the tomato sauce, but I did start adding an actual layer of it over the ricotta and it was divine and didn't make the lasagna taste bad at all... but YMMV, so go easy on the mixing in until you decide how much squash in your sauce works for you. ;)

This is great advice! We have added acorn squash purée to spaghetti sauce twice this week now,  it is delicious! The texture is excellent.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 09:57:01 AM »
I would highly recommend an Indian inspired coconut curry soup. I have made it before with onions, garlic, squash puree, coconut milk/cream, curry, and a bit of peanut butter (I loved this ingredient but it's up to you)

Eat it with some Naan and it makes for a great fall meal!

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »
A little pancetta, a little cream, herbs of choice and a dash of nutmeg on pasta mmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
I can a lot of squash using jars and a canner. It last years at room temperature and doesn't take up freezer space or energy to keep it frozen. It also has the advantage of being already thawed when needed.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
Non puree:

I first learned to like acorn squash when I had roasted halves with homemade cranberry sauce in the center.  yum!

puree:

i've used pumpkin, acorn and butternut squash puree to make this recipe:

http://emerils.com/121593/butternut-squash-spaetzle

the recipe halves nicely or stores in the fridge for ~1 week.  after making the spaetzle, fry with some cheese for yummy kaesespaetzle (german mac and cheese).  I use ~ 6-8oz of gouda or similar cheese with a 1/2 batch of the spaetzle recipe.