Author Topic: What would YOU do to make this apartment window less breezy?  (Read 4407 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
What would YOU do to make this apartment window less breezy?
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »
I have a couple single pane slider windows in my apartment that are very breezy and frigid.  In the summer they are quite hot.  They don't have a frame on all 4 sides so an airtight seal won't be possible with 3M type plastic.  I added some precut foam insulting strips but they haven't made a noticeable difference to the temp, although it did seem quieter. 

JaySherman5000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What would YOU do to make this apartment window less breezy?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »
It's hard to see the details in your photo, but I think the most logical solutions would involve adding insulating foam around the window framing inside the wall (this means removing the casing) and then adding a bead of caulk when you re-install the casing. You might also need to look at how the pane closes and add weather stripping or some other material to close gaps in the channel.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
hard to tell much in the way of details from your picture. Is that haze condensation? If so is it inside, outside, or between double panes of glass?

I am going to assume since you said apartment that you rent and do not own, so that 1)you do not want to invest significant time and money doing major repairs and insulation upgrades and 2) even if so inclined you would not be allowed to undertake significant work.

I use a product call seal n peel (http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Seal-N-Peel-10-1-oz-Removable-Weatherstrip-Caulk-18351/100140056) to seal some air leaks seasonally. (no a/c so air leaks in the summer are not a big deal especially as the windows are frequently open). It is essentially caulk that you can peel up at the end of the season, but it might get difficult to remove after a year or so.

A properly sized heavy material curtain/blind would also be an option, in colder climates they even market some as "thermal curtains".

Have you determined where exactly the air is finding its way through? It may be possible to rehabilitate or replace the weather stripping if that is the issue.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:04:39 PM »
I would add a pair of panel draperies on an outside mount to include a thermal lining.  It would add a bit of elegance to the space, while containing drafts. 

Specifically, I would choose a wool-blend fabric with privacy interlining in an inverse pleat with a wall-mounted or ceiling track in front of that window and at least 6 inches wider on each side. 

www.theshadestore.comhttps://www.theshadestore.com/drapery/custom-drapes/inverted-pleat-drapery/customize?color=graphite&material=Cotton

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 03:47:11 AM »
Thank you, @BlueHouse, your suggestions are the most doable. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 05:02:26 AM »
You could have just about any reputable glass shop build a single pane storm window in a lightweight aluminum frame that would fill that opening.  If you are the handy sort, you could build one yourself with wood frame and a piece of plexiglass.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 03:06:37 PM »
I always liked these insulated Roman shades, and they are DIY
https://youtu.be/LYXXEvIktJE

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 05:10:05 PM »
I would add a pair of panel draperies on an outside mount to include a thermal lining.  It would add a bit of elegance to the space, while containing drafts. 

Specifically, I would choose a wool-blend fabric with privacy interlining in an inverse pleat with a wall-mounted or ceiling track in front of that window and at least 6 inches wider on each side. 

www.theshadestore.comhttps://www.theshadestore.com/drapery/custom-drapes/inverted-pleat-drapery/customize?color=graphite&material=Cotton

I've done this in my apartment and it is effective.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »

Do you have gaps between the window and the walls where you can feel a stream of air?

If you need to caulk the gap.

Very inexpensive, maybe a couple of $ for a tube of caulk.

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 05:48:16 AM »
If yoy get curtains, make sure they have a little extra material along the floor, otherwise the cold air will creep through the bottom gap. There is a company that sells thermal insulating curtains with magnets sewn into the sides so they attach to each other and the wall with no gap. The curtain comes with adhesive magnets to attach to the wall, but we found that they stick pretty well to metal cornerbead too. You can diy this with any thermal curtain.

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
hard to tell much in the way of details from your picture. Is that haze condensation? If so is it inside, outside, or between double panes of glass?

I am going to assume since you said apartment that you rent and do not own, so that 1)you do not want to invest significant time and money doing major repairs and insulation upgrades and 2) even if so inclined you would not be allowed to undertake significant work.

I use a product call seal n peel (http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Seal-N-Peel-10-1-oz-Removable-Weatherstrip-Caulk-18351/100140056) to seal some air leaks seasonally. (no a/c so air leaks in the summer are not a big deal especially as the windows are frequently open). It is essentially caulk that you can peel up at the end of the season, but it might get difficult to remove after a year or so.

A properly sized heavy material curtain/blind would also be an option, in colder climates they even market some as "thermal curtains".

Have you determined where exactly the air is finding its way through? It may be possible to rehabilitate or replace the weather stripping if that is the issue.

We have a couple "black-out" curtains that are also "thermal" we use to make our kids rooms nice and dark even in the summer so they can get to sleep at a reasonable hour for their ages.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how much they help keep the cold out in the winter.  The area between the curtain and the glass is noticeably cooler than the room which tells me the window isn't so good, but the curtain is helping.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
Good info here!  Posting to follow