Author Topic: What to do with Rotting Wood in French Door ?  (Read 469 times)

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
What to do with Rotting Wood in French Door ?
« on: November 21, 2020, 08:21:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm attaching a photo to show where the rotting wood is.  It's near the bottom of the door. It's the horizontal brown just above the horizontal black. The black is plastic.  I know, it's hard to see the wood just above the black plastic. 

I noticed the wood was moist and soft, and have just covered it up with plastic for now, to keep rain out. The plastic is placed in a way that allows to wood to air dry.

There is a quarter to half inch space going backwards that can be filled in, in front of the wood, where it has eroded away over the years.

My ideas so far are :

coat it with some lacquer that is waterproof.

leave it as it is, with the plastic cover on

when it is dry, fill in the void in front with styrofoam strips, then caulk the edges around the strips, sealing out all rain. 

put that chemical on the wood that turns rotted wood hard, then coat it all with caulking.   

What do you think?

Thanks

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What to do with Rotting Wood in French Door ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 09:10:18 AM »
Looks like there are already a lot of bandaids on that door and frame.   Are you against a new unit? Fiberglass door and a composite jamb would solve future problems. 

Plus with that much water, how is your sheathing and structure underneath? I would imagine itís in pretty bad shape.   They didnít start putting in waterproof sils for doors until recently. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:44:43 AM »
Looks like there are already a lot of bandaids on that door and frame.   Are you against a new unit? Fiberglass door and a composite jamb would solve future problems. 

Plus with that much water, how is your sheathing and structure underneath? I would imagine itís in pretty bad shape.   They didnít start putting in waterproof sils for doors until recently. 

Yes, water intrusion from various sources has been a problem with this door, from time to time.  A new door would be nice, I guess, but the labor is huge. Like $3,000.  And the new door itself is $1,000 to $2,000.   Plus worrying whether it's installed right, and comes without any defects.

For now, seems to make sense to try to fix up existing door, and be $5,000 richer.   

I am willing to spend some bucks on labor, though. I just had a handyman remove and replace the 3 rotted trim pieces with PVC.  He said he thought that would stop the water getting in.  He also sealed up the entire length of the space between the first deck board and the door. He also put in that new piece of custom made wood at the bottom of the center post. The bottom of that post was rotted out.

It did stop the water 90%. But it gets moist still inside the aluminum channel during rain with a  wind blowing against the door.

I'm hoping the moisture is because water is seeping into the rotted wood, and then down into the channel, and preventing water from soaking into the rotted wood will cure the problem. 

SndcxxJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:54:12 AM »
This project looks pretty rough and I also think replacement is a better long term solution, but if that is completely out of the question here are some ideas.
I am under the assumption that the door section on the left is a non-operating fixed door.
I would prime any new wood and exposed wood.  I would seal any gaps with a polyurethane sealant like sikaflex 1a.  I might try to add a piece of wood or metal trim to bridge the gap between the fixed door and the sill and use sikaflex to seal all gaps.  I'd then paint the heck out of this door and frames with at least a higher gloss level paint, at least semigloss.  Keep that door painted often. 
It will look scabbed together but it will be water tight.  I would budget for some dryrot repairs under that door sill when the time comes to replace.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 02:25:31 PM »
I can never understand labor costs on installing a door.  Itís less than a day of work for a carpenter, so letís just say a day.   Even at 100/hour (crazy high for a carpenter) itís 800 in labor.

Now.  Opening that up will open up other problems.  I would say a day and half of labor, and a 100$ in extra material.  And a carpenter at 60/hour, 720 in labor, 100 extra materials, and a new French door, probably 1500.  So under 2500 total, max.  Shop around if you want to replace.

Otherwise, just paint the thing and hope to buy yourself another year or 2. 

FINate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »
Assuming that's a fixed door and you plan on tearing it out and doing it right in a year or two (plus whatever other issues this uncovers), I would:

1) Once the wood drys, remove any very soft material
2) 2 coats of wood hardener on the remainder.
3) Fill with Bondo Wood Filler

sonofsven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 08:52:03 PM »
I wouldn't waste a minute of time trying to "fix it".
Removal or leave it to rot.
If it's a problem area you might want to install a storm door in front of your new door.

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I've caulked it and painted it already. The pic I sent was from right after the handyman left.

Good to hear that the total cost might be a lot less than $5,000 for a new door, and floor rot repair work. 

Another thing is that the door is a non standard size. It's a Peachtree. It's not as wide as standard, so a 'custom made' door is called for. Although I'm surprised they don't make 'standard' doors in my size. Peachtree is out of business now, I think.   

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I've caulked it and painted it already. The pic I sent was from right after the handyman left.

Good to hear that the total cost might be a lot less than $5,000 for a new door, and floor rot repair work. 

Another thing is that the door is a non standard size. It's a Peachtree. It's not as wide as standard, so a 'custom made' door is called for. Although I'm surprised they don't make 'standard' doors in my size. Peachtree is out of business now, I think.   

What size door is this? You can always frame it out for a different size.  Smaller is easier than bigger!

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 07:51:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

What size door is this? You can always frame it out for a different size.  Smaller is easier than bigger!

It's 57 inches wide and 78 inches tall.