Author Topic: What's next trying to fix toilet?  (Read 2666 times)

Carini

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What's next trying to fix toilet?
« on: May 07, 2015, 01:04:31 PM »
I think the next step is pulling the toilet off. It's been a non drainer or very slow drainer for awhile. If I pour a bucket of water down, it flushes right away but still doesn't sound right. Toilet paper won't go all the way down. I've plunged it an unbelievable amount of times with a rubber flange plunger, used a 3 foot closet auger (I don't have a six foot), and tried to figure out if it's something in the top of the toilet that isn't letting enough water in, which I'm not sure about.

I have 3 young kids, so there is a fair chance something substantial (car, soldier, etc..) went down there. Is my next step pulling the toilet off? I realize I need to get another wax ring if I do that. This might sound dumb, but if I pull the toilet, what exactly am I looking for??  Something up inside the bottom of the toilet, or more likely a clog in the big pipe? I can't imagine that part being clogged.  Suggestions??

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's next trying to fix toilet?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 01:05:36 PM »
Following. I have the same problem.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
Having recently gone through a similar situation (for us, it was a small plastic princess), I have a couple suggestions:
1) in our toilet, the toy was stuck at the top of the s-trap in the toilet
2) I took an old bike tire (flexible but stiff), cut it at one point, and stuck one end up through the toilet backwards (i.e. starting from the flange end).  That popped the toy loose
3) If you're not sure where the clog is, take off the toilet and then pour a bucket of water down the exposed drain.  If it drains slowly, you'll know the clog is further down the pipe.  You can also take the toilet outside and pour a bucket of water in the bowl to see how it drains by itself.

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »
I have had the exact same problem with both of our toilets and just last week did this very simple fix.  We were plunging one every time for the last year or so then the one downstairs started doing the same thing. I googled the symptoms and this is what came up. It worked rite away and now both toilets are flushing like new!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TeCTbGwhBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrimREPrM_o   

This should solve the problem.  Good luck!!  : )

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »

On the first video you only need the info from the 45sec-2:00min mark. I used a nail to clear out the jets and then the 2nd video will show you where else you need to get rid of built up mineral deposits.  I couldn't believe was a simple fix it was!!!
Modify message

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 04:46:56 AM »
Have you checked the sewer vent? I had a slow draining sink, and it turned out the vent was filled with bees. Might explain the funny sound, too.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »
Have you checked the sewer vent? I had a slow draining sink, and it turned out the vent was filled with bees. Might explain the funny sound, too.

How did you get them out?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!