Author Topic: Water heater trouble  (Read 1913 times)

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
Water heater trouble
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
I had a new electric water heater installed by a licensed plumber (sorry, not DIY). After only a few months it has started to leak slowly out of the bottom element. I tightened the element with a special wrench and it did get tighter, but the leak persists.

My question is should the plumber be responsible for repairing this? The leak has nothing to do with his workmanship, which was great, but he did supply the heater. The plumber is not a large company, he just works for himself. The invoice doesn't say anything about a warranty for his labor.

bigdoug03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Water heater trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:59:17 PM »
Your plumber did not install the bottom element, it came installed from the factory. If tightening does not stop the leak you need to contact the manufacturer about a warranty claim.

belly05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
Agreed that sounds like a standard warranty claim.  I just put in a hot water heater last month, purchased from Home Depot it came with a standard 2 year warranty.  I'd call the plumber who put it in and tell him you want to do a warranty claim, ask him to give you the receipt for the hot water heater and then call the manufacture + call the place it was purchased to and file a warranty claim.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »
Thanks guys.

UPDATE: the manufacturer is replacing the water heater at no cost to me (except I have to pay for a city permit, $35).

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »
Thanks guys.

UPDATE: the manufacturer is replacing the water heater at no cost to me (except I have to pay for a city permit, $35).

...wait, what?  What is the 'city permit' of $35 for??

FWIW replacing/repairing the heating elements in a water heater is pretty straight-forward for even the most beginner DIYer. Since yours was under warranty you were right to have it replaced, but in the future its easy enough to do.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:39 AM »
Turns out, there is a bad weld on the tank itself, right where the element screws in. So I'm having the entire water heater replaced for free by the manufacturer's authorized service provider. Since they do everything by the book, they need to pull a "minor label" permit to install a new tank (I never bothered with a permit the original tank).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:28:38 AM by jpdx »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!