Author Topic: Undercabinet Range Hood  (Read 1284 times)

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
Undercabinet Range Hood
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:12:53 PM »
after we remodeled our kitchen, we learned that our ceilings were a few inches lower than 96". we had purchased and installed a ceiling mounted range hood, and because of the couples inches our ceilings are shy, the thing drives me crazy. the glass is just the right height that i don't see it, but smack my head on it many times.

i'm thinking the solution is install an undercabinet hood instead. my thought is to build a small box attached to the ceiling and then mount the hood to it like you normally would on a cabinet. i'm not sure what the box would look like, but am curious if anyone here has done such a thing and has input. or, input regardless.

i'm pretty handy and should be able to build just about anything.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
Re: Undercabinet Range Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 12:08:54 AM »
So you have to put in the ducting for exhaust, which means you need access.. which means a closed box wouldn't work. Have you considered a cabinet?

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:17:45 AM »
sorry if i wasn't clear: the box would just be an enclosure either to mount the unit within or under. the ducting would go inside the box just like a cabinet install.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 06:48:06 AM »
Our chimney style range hood was quite adjustable - I could drop or increase the height by just cutting or sliding the duct cover. The ceiling mount would probably be a big more challenging, but I would imagine you could cut/fab some new shorter mounts?

I know they have recommended heights from the cooktop, but I think those are generally the same (~30 inches) for both under cabinet and ceiling mounted hoods. So you’d probably be higher than the recommended height regardless.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
i forget exactly what the inside of my current hood looked like (some angles that were hung vertically and up to the ceiling, a motor, and an internal steel sleeve), but i had pressed it up as far as it would go. i seem to recall there wasn't anything i would've been able to trim off to get it to go any higher due to the size of the motor. but, that was 2+ years ago and i've blocked out that pain now.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
Oh, yes, I see what you mean. Ours had the motor in the hood and the rest was adjustable. A bit like this one:

https://www.signaturehardware.com/kitchen/range-hoods/island-range-hoods/24-vasco-series-stainless-steel-island-range-hood-white-glass-240-cfm.html

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!