Author Topic: Turning a Window into a Door  (Read 2262 times)

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
Turning a Window into a Door
« on: July 19, 2016, 07:03:55 PM »
Hey all. I am attempting to remove a window and replace it with a door into my backyard. The sizes of everything line up, and it seemed straightforward in the abstract. But I came across two things I didn't expect and I wanted to put it out to the group for advice. (pics attached for clarity)

A - There are two windows side by side, and I would have expected vertical studs between them. But no - in the picture, there is just empty space behind the letter 'A'. Looks like both windows were framed in one big rectangle.

B - At the ground level where the door would sit, there's a rocky, cement-like substance between the studs. Based on what I'm seeing in the basement, I don't believe this could be the foundation. Maybe some kind of fire-block?

Anyone get around problems like these before? Any advice? I imagine I need to add studs between the two windows, which means cutting the horizontal studs underneath the window.

The cement I'm not sure what to do. Put the door right over it? Chisel it out? Level it? Thanks in advance.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Turning a Window into a Door
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »
What's on the outside of that A? It looks to me like it's really 1 big window and not 2, but with some sort of divider between them to make it look like 2 windows.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 05:48:29 AM »
It's two separate windows. In between there's not much, just the wood you see there. It's only bout 1/2" thick wood, so behind that wood where the letter A is, there is essentially empty space (now I know why there was such a draft in the winter)

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 07:09:10 AM »
Looks like an old house that has been remodeled with new windows installed at some point.   They probably framed in a single opening for a gang of windows, so if you remove one, you will need to add some studs up to the header, beside the new door and remaining window.   

Guessing the original interior walls of the house were wood lath & plaster which was removed when that area was remodeled and windows added.   That cement type stuff on top of the bottom plate looks like plaster slop that squeezed between the lath boards during original plastering and accumulated on top of the plate.   You can probably just bust it up with a hammer and dispose of it.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »
Fishindude - thanks for the solid advice.

Agree 100% on the vertical studs. I'm not sure about the plaster slop though. My house does have plaster and I've dealt with it a lot. But this stuff at the bottom of the plates is rock hard. Hitting it hard with a heavy chisel shaves off little bits at a time but not much else.

Maybe explore a little with a masonry bit, see how far it goes?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »
I'm betting B is a thin layer of plaster/cement on top of a 2x4 bottom plate. If so, I'd hammer or chisel it out (hopefully, it shouldn't be well-adhered to the wood, so if you get a chisel under it it should come out easily).