Author Topic: Toilet Recommendation  (Read 17937 times)

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Toilet Recommendation
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation - I need to get two.  Reviews seem good on the Toto Drake?

Rust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Toilet Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:43:47 AM »
When it comes to my throne, as long as it's chair height I don't have a preference in brand.  I've bought several  from Craigs list and they work great.  I've the guts need fixing or replacing it's cheap compared to buying a new one.

bUU

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:53:37 AM »
We found the Toto to be a far superior design than American Standard.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »
IMO, Kohler for toilets and Moen for faucets, unless there are compelling reasons otherwise.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »
The ultimate source for low flow toilets:  terrylove.com

He's a plumber that actually deals with the stuff.

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

DoingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation - I need to get two.  Reviews seem good on the Toto Drake?

We replaced a mid-70's vintage American Standard with a Toto Eco-Drake (1.28 gal/flush) a number of years ago.  We were remodelers (just recently retired) and asked all our plumber contacts.  They ALL said "Toto."

FWIW, our water usage went down by 1/3 with no other changes to the plumbing or our usage.
--
Wayne.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:50:56 AM »
Thanks - knew I' d get some good advice here!

I think we will go with toto. Most supplies we buy used but I like the low flow toilets and those are harder to find in a brand with good reviews.  Toto is difficult to find in Where i live though.

The Kohler toilets seem hit and miss with the online reviews.   Some reports of poor quality with uneven bases and leaks but some very satisfied customers.

I agree moen faucets have worked well - quite easy to find used.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
Toto Eco Drake here. Husband asked the plumbers at work and they recommended it because it will "flush a donkey". There is no flushing twice like with the crappier low-flows.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
Toto Eco Drake here. Husband asked the plumbers at work and they recommended it because it will "flush a donkey". There is no flushing twice like with the crappier low-flows.

"crappier"... heh heh

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
Way!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
One (gross) thing that I'd like to point out (since people rarely think of this when getting a new toilet) . . .

People can control their defecation, to some extent, by contracting or releasing the anal sphincter. But that muscle can't maintain continence on its own. The body also relies on a bend between the rectum—where feces builds up—and the anus—where feces comes out. When we're standing up, the extent of this bend, called the anorectal angle, is about 90 degrees, which puts upward pressure on the rectum and keeps feces inside. In a squatting posture, the bend straightens out, like a kink ringed out of a garden hose, and defecation becomes easier.
  - http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2010/08/dont_just_sit_there.html

The newer, taller toilets put your body at a bio-mechanically disadvantaged position for pooping.  They cause a greater kink in your rectum, which means you have to push harder when pooping.  Significantly increases the chances that you'll develop hemorrhoids.  The lower the toilet you purchase, the closer to a natural squatting position your legs get . . . which means less kink in your poop tubes, and less pressure required to evacuate your bowels.

Moral of the story . . . probably best to get the shortest toilet possible.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »
The more you know...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
One (gross) thing that I'd like to point out (since people rarely think of this when getting a new toilet) . . .
Instead of squatting ever lower to put more pressure on damaged knees, maybe poopers people could lean forward a little more to reproduce the same position at a slightly higher elevation?

I don't think I've ever seen a traditional Japanese toilet on HGTV...

MoneyLifeandMore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Life and More
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
I used Glacier Bay toilets in my townhouse and they worked fine for us. They were the cheapest one at Home Depot and they used the same amount of water as some of the more expensive ones. They look fine to me and I don't need a fancy bathroom.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »
Instead of squatting ever lower to put more pressure on damaged knees, maybe poopers people could lean forward a little more to reproduce the same position at a slightly higher elevation?

You could probably get a similar effect by keeping a footstool near the toilet to elevate your feet up higher so you're in closer to a squatting position.  I just find it very funny that the toilet (a device designed primarily as a thing to poop in) so very bad at it's job.  And that people, rather than demanding better toilets seem to be looking for worse (taller) ones due to bathroom aesthetics.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 07:53:24 AM »

More support for getting that squat toilet in my new bathroom!

You could probably get a similar effect by keeping a footstool near the toilet to elevate your feet up higher so you're in closer to a squatting position.

I guess if I don't get the squat toilet, I can just make do with one of these.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 04:59:36 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
Toto.  With two teenage boys I was having issues with clogging.  The Toto has not had one problem.  Love it.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »
If you don't want to buy a footstool or other gizmo to raise your legs, use your bathroom garbage pail. One foot on each side. Works just fine for me.

Gosh, I feel so much closer to all of you now.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
With two teenage boys I was having issues with clogging.
Shouldn't "they" be having the clogging issues?  As in, "No TV or Internet until you learn how to unclog your own toilet" issues?

It might not be strictly a gender issue.  Our teen daughter went through a phase where it took her dozens of squares of toilet paper for each bathroom trip, and she had to get pretty proficient at unclogging her own messes.  Eventually she tired of the thrill of using a toilet plunger and figured out how to use a more appropriate amount of toilet paper... better still, I didn't have to get involved.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:52:01 PM by Nords »

killingxspree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 02:24:01 AM »
This may sound gross to some...(idk why people are so sensitive but whatever) but the free + gadget free solution is just actually squat on the toliet seat.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 05:55:59 AM »
No sir/ma'am, that is INCORRECT!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 06:58:09 AM »
My .jpeg begs to differ:

Man, this thread has taken a weird turn . . .

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Very weird.  Seems like more than toilets get clogged.

charles_roberts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
Come one man, save your money. Dig a hole in the back yard!
Although, THIS would save money in the long-run..

Barry A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Weakness is My Strange
    • Toilet Brands
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 12:07:34 PM »
I replaced three old toilets with Toto Drake CST743E#01 1.28 GPF toilets (one round and two oval). At first my wife complained that I could have just replaced the cracked tanks of two of them, but after the Totos were installed she couldn't stop exclaiming on how well and efficiently they flushed. We are very happy with these. I would recommend those 2 for you!

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
This post really pissed me off...Reminded me that I bought a shitty American Standard a while back--piece of crap.  Only diarrhea would go down that toilet without flushing twice.  Replaced it with a Toto.  Loads better :-)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »
This may sound gross to some...(idk why people are so sensitive but whatever) but the free + gadget free solution is just actually squat on the toliet seat.

There are so many things wrong with this idea that it's amazing that anybody would even think about recommending it. First, toilet seats are NOT designed to bear the weight of anybody standing on them. They have light duty plastic hinges to essentially keep them in the proper position on top of the rim, and were never intended to support the full weight of a human. Next, the actual seat is often built of a wood composite that is heavily coated with a thick paint. These things can break without warning. Finally, if you fall, after doing something this stupid, either on the seat, or with the seat up, while standing on the rim, you take a chance of breaking the bowl. Porcelain china DOES NOT break in a friendly manner. It can create shards that rival surgical tools in sharpness. We nearly lost an elderly neighbor when he was attempting to remove a toilet. He undid the nuts on the floor bolts and was trying to break the toilet free. As he smashed at it with a bare hand, it shattered. He damn near bled to death, since he shredded his wrist and forearm, and the only thing that saved him was a quick thinking EMT who called for a medivac chopper. The bathroom looked like somebody was trying to remove his arm with a chainsaw.

Finally, I have some regrettable experience with this being a common practice, and I know for a fact that it's horrifically unsanitary. I was supervising the electrical installation at a new hotel, and the framing contractor had found a new low in illegal hiring. He had located a whole crew of very small South Americans who were apparently from some indigenous mountain area. They didn't know a word of English or Spanish. As soon as they showed up, the portable toilets became a no-go zone. The seats and bench area on top of the storage tank of the units were literally sprayed with feces. After a bit of investigation it was determined that the little people were "squatters". Since it was a cultural difference that could not be bridged, I had to contract for separate toilets, that were kept a distance from the building, and locked, to keep them from being bombed. The National Park Service is having similar issues with some foreign visitors and now have signs in English, and other languages, and international "NO" graphics, discouraging squatters.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 08:04:45 AM »
Porcelain china DOES NOT break in a friendly manner. It can create shards that rival surgical tools in sharpness.

I am reminded of a time when I lost one of those little plastic washers that the toilet bowl bolt caps snap onto to cover the mounting bolts. I wasn't worried since I had bought another new one anyway. As I was applying the last few turns to tighten the toilet down, the porcelain base shattered. (Later I found the washer stuck underneath the flange and what had caused the problem.) As I was picking up the pieces, I poked my finger fairly badly and ended up getting blood everywhere. I got it stopped and figured I would just clean it up after the project was done and left for the store to buy a new toilet. Meanwhile wife comes home, notices the blood and thinks someone killed me in the bathroom.  People were looking at me funny as I was standing looking at toilets, talking on my cellphone trying to convince my wife I was still alive.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
This post really pissed me off...Reminded me that I bought a shitty American Standard a while back--piece of crap.  Only diarrhea would go down that toilet without flushing twice.  Replaced it with a Toto.  Loads better :-)
Holy smokes, I think you win the thread.  What's the poop equivalent of a double entendre?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »

You could probably get a similar effect by keeping a footstool near the toilet to elevate your feet up higher so you're in closer to a squatting position.

Holy crap!! Are you the inventor of the Squatty Potty?

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
OMG!  How much time could I save if I could do laundry will sitting on the crapper?

Though the dryer would need to be close by as well.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
Mustachians would just wear the wet clothes until they air dried.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
Not Seattle mustachians!  They call us mossbacks for a reason.

EDIT: Also, Seattle has really expensive water/sewer prices, and reeeeeeeally cheap electric prices (thanks to it being mostly hydro power).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:19:27 AM by dilinger »

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
This may be the slightly un-mustachian opinion, but if you're buying for your own home (not a rental property) then go with a standard 1.6gpf model.  The additional water is good to have, not necessarily just for downward force.  That is all.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »
We live in a part of Ohio called 'The Black Swamp.'  Often, there is more water than we know what to do with.
When we were buying toilets all we could find were those low water usage toilets.
I went to Canada 4-5 times a year, took about 45 minutes to get there, so I found a Home Depot just over the bridge,and stopped and got 2 regular toilets. The salesman said a lot of US people do the same thing. 
I was not concerned who made them

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:54 AM »
Low water use requirements forced all toilets to be redesigned to work a lot better.  Toto led the pack for a long time, but others have caught up.  Some may be a better value -- again, see terrylove.com

On value, saving $1-200 on a toilet that you may live with for decades seems like false economy. And a brand like Toto adds value to your house.

Corima may be the big-load champ, but a lot of newer models can easily swallow things that may eventually clog your sewer. Beware!

SquareD_01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
This reminded me of deployments overseas. You could always tell when the Afghan Commandos had been in town because there were muddy boot prints all over the toilet seats and the extra height really made a mess on impact if you get my drift.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
This reminded me of deployments overseas. You could always tell when the Afghan Commandos had been in town because there were muddy boot prints all over the toilet seats and the extra height really made a mess on impact if you get my drift.
Oh, my, that brought back memories of an assignment I had at my last job.  We were installing some oil field equipment in subsaharan Africa, and locals were hired as "security guards."  It took me a while to figure out why there was always mud on the seats in the porta-potties.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »
OMG!  How much time could I save if I could do laundry will sitting on the crapper?

Though the dryer would need to be close by as well.

Often european models can be a washer dryer combo.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
My apartment has low-water toilets (3L, 0.8gal) made by Hennessy and Hinchcliffe.  One button, very efficient, our building management is trying to be energy efficient. Apparently they are very popular for apartments, very trouble-free.  Also nice to use and not bad-looking.  They are easy to find on Google.

Clara Smith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 01:00:27 AM »
Yes, Toto Drake is much better than American standards.

kidmont

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
Toto Drake 2 is the winner here? Thinking to buy this. I was looking at the Best Flushing Toilet 2018(Reviews & Recommendation). This website also suggests buying this Toto model. I think it is one of the best and popular model.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:47:23 AM by kidmont »

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
I have never used a Toto, but for about half the price I have had excellent experiences with Kohler 4.8 litres/flush toilets. I have installed four of them over a ten-year period in various places and had a clog exactly once, and that resolved simply by flushing a second time.

Here in Canada I paid $300 plus tax for a Kohler Cimarron at Home Depot two months ago. That was a sale price, but I assume they would only run about $300 each in the U.S.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
IMO, Kohler for toilets and Moen for faucets, unless there are compelling reasons otherwise.

Agreed.
And get elongated bowl type that flushes with as much water as possible rather than one of those low water use toilets that constantly has skid marks.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
OMG! You guys are awesome!!!

Seriously, we are flipping a house and can't decide which toilets to install. The bathrooms are small-ish, so I'm inclined to do the smallest style I can find (but not wall-mount, there's no room in the walls and they're too expensive), which also means it's the shortest. DH disagrees. All of our houses (4, including rentals) have the taller ones, but they're supposedly "wrong". What's a mustachian flipper to do? Note - By code, we can't keep the existing ones because they're the old water hogs.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »
OMG! You guys are awesome!!!

Seriously, we are flipping a house and can't decide which toilets to install. The bathrooms are small-ish, so I'm inclined to do the smallest style I can find (but not wall-mount, there's no room in the walls and they're too expensive), which also means it's the shortest. DH disagrees. All of our houses (4, including rentals) have the taller ones, but they're supposedly "wrong". What's a mustachian flipper to do? Note - By code, we can't keep the existing ones because they're the old water hogs.

If you're flipping the house, buy the terrible tall toilets if they look fancier.  Many people prefer being perpetually constipated to having to bend their knees a bit more.

If you're living there, buy the lowest toilet you can find and poop happy for less money.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!