Author Topic: Thinking about getting a nailgun to do trim in my house (Updated: I got one)  (Read 8507 times)

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
So I'm doing about 200 linear ft of baseboards in my house and after a grueling day of cutting miters and intermittently hitting my fingers with a hammer I finally completed one small room that had around 20 linear ft of wall. At first I was planning on doing it all by hand to try to save money but I believe I might be valuing my time to low and it might be time to venture into air tools because it will save so much time.

I'm making the baseboards out of 3 pieces: A 6" x .75" MDF panel with a base shoe and a 3" tall cap molding on top. This requires me to attach 3 separate moldings to the wall therefore taking me FOREVER to do by hand.

I guess I'm asking if people think it's worth it to spend a couple hundred dollars on a compressor and a nail gun or am I just being a complainy-pants and should suck it up and use a hammer and nail set?

I'm thinking about picking up this because it seems like a good deal:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-Portable-Air-Compressor-16-Gauge-Nailer-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Crown-Stapler-Combo-Kit-PCFP12234/203471431

The tools in that bundle are pretty expensive individually so it seems like a good value and almost exactly what I need for this job.

Update: I got one thanks all for comments
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:13:13 PM by CmFtns »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Thinking about getting a nailgun to do trim in my house
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
you can rent a battery powered nail gun (maybe even an air nail gun with compressor)

I did some crown molding in a room for a buddy and he rented a battery powered nail gun. worked fine. I don't recall the price but it was pretty cheap.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 02:15:54 PM »
you can rent a battery powered nail gun (maybe even an air nail gun with compressor)

I did some crown molding in a room for a buddy and he rented a battery powered nail gun. worked fine. I don't recall the price but it was pretty cheap.

The problem is that I do not have huge blocks of time that I devote to projects like this to make rentals worth it. I work on these home improvement projects for a few hours here and there when I have some free time. I also plan to do crown molding at some point in the future and at some point I want to get an air compressor. So by the time I rent the nail gun a few times I could have just bought my own and I would own an air compressor too.

Cordless finish nailer is $34/day from home depot
For 6 days of rental I could own a compressor, 18 gauge brad nailer, 16 gauge nailer, and a staple gun
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:20:35 PM by CmFtns »

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »

The problem is that I do not have huge blocks of time that I devote to projects like this to make rentals worth it. I work on these home improvement projects for a few hours here and there when I have some free time. I also plan to do crown molding at some point in the future and at some point I want to get an air compressor. So by the time I rent the nail gun a few times I could have just bought my own and I would own an air compressor too.

For 6 days of rental I could own a compressor, 18 gauge brad nailer, 16 gauge nailer, and a staple gun

Sounds like you already made up your mind what to do and are asking for a blessing on that rather than advice.  Otherwise, I would have suggested that for this one task, you do it on a weekend when you can do it in one go with rented equipment (that you don't need to store later).  You can do other prep work in the evening for it on a sporadic basis.  It may also not require as much time as you think to complete, with the right tool and all of the materials prepped.

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »
Used - Pawn shops.  That's where I get all my tools.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
"Craigslist Rental". Buy used on CL and then sell it afterwards.

If you go the new route: for baseboards, you only need one finish nailer, and you could get a cheaper compressor for the amount of use it sounds like you will give it. I have that compressor and it is a good unit, if a bit loud due to the type of air pump.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »

Sounds like you already made up your mind what to do and are asking for a blessing on that rather than advice.  Otherwise, I would have suggested that for this one task, you do it on a weekend when you can do it in one go with rented equipment (that you don't need to store later).  You can do other prep work in the evening for it on a sporadic basis.  It may also not require as much time as you think to complete, with the right tool and all of the materials prepped.

If I had made up my mind then I would not be asking because I would already own one. I am essentially "asking for a blessing" in that if a bunch of other like minded people with similar goals say that they think it is a great purchase or that they would make a similar decision then It would make my decision a lot easier. On the other hand if great ideas on how to do it a different way come up then I would consider those options as well.

I guess naturally I lean away from renting things for a couple reasons. Firstly, I think of it as wasted money or think of how good of a value the purchase price would be if I subtracted the rental fee. Especially in situations like this where the rental cost is a insultingly large percentage of the tool's value. Secondly, when I rent something I am "on the clock" and I feel all stressed out and try to hurry in order to get the job done without incurring extra rental time fees.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
In my area there are non-profit tool libraries that are much less expensive than H.D. for renting tools.

In other news, I let a friend borrow my air compressor and finish nailer for a similar project. . .do you have any friends with these tools?

If you plan on doing more projects like this, an air compressor isn't a bad tool to have - the best thing about them is not having to set nails!

Good luck!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »
CmFtns - Check out Harbor Freight for cheap compressors and finish nailers.  You can pick up both for ~$80 there.  As others have suggested, first look at craigslist and community sources first.  For what you are describing you only need a small compressor and a finish nailer (most will take brad nails ranging from 0.5" to 2" in the same gun).

AS for "should you get use a nail gun" - i'd say absolutely yes.  I tried to save money by not getting one and hand-hammering all the trim and crown molding in my apparentment.  Big mistake - not only is the nail gun faster, but with it I had way fewer mistakes. Since I do weekend projects I opted for a 3 gallon pancake-style compressor I found on craigslist and couldn't be happier.  It's a bit loud but otherwise I have no issues with it - larger compressors are only really useful if you are shooting dozens of large nails per minute and/or running multiple tools off the same compressor or using tools that require you to hold down the trigger continuously (paint sprayers, drills, etc). 

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
I went many years, probably more than a decade doing it with a hammer and nail set. I bought my first nail gun and compressor and realized what I have been missing. They are certainly nice to have not only for trim work but for other projects around the house and they really don't cost that much. Thanks to an auction and a gift certificates, I now own two nail guns, a pin nailer and a stapler. I use all of them and wouldn't get rid of any of them.

I should add that in the end, I think they have saved me money because I am more likely to tackle a project myself knowing I can use them versus spending days crawling around on the floors on my hands and knees.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 05:42:44 AM »
Your math and reasoning makes sense. Go buy one....not like you can do the projects without a nail gun. I'd also check out craigslist or pawnshops. Harbor freight is ok, but if you are looking for quality, then i'd do my research on products there first.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 06:48:28 AM »
BUY

A nail gun set and compressors are probably going to be something that you use frequently enough to make it a worth while purchase. Lots of times  I end up needing it for strange jobs that you would not think.

Also I hate renting/borrowing tools. IMO TIME>MONEY so the time I spend running around town, signing forms picking up and dropping off the tool is not worth it to me. I also hate having the pressure of needing to finish in 24 hours as to not get docked for another days rental. I have used tool library's before for very rarely used tools, they have their place for sure.

Go buy a nail gun and 3-6 gallon compressor, then go have some fun. Ignore your significant others questions about why all the boards are nailed together.....:)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 08:22:13 AM »
If you don't mind, I'm gonna hijack this thread a little bit: anybody have suggestions for a "buy it for life" air compressor? Like the OP, I want to run things like nail guns... but I also want to run things like impact wrenches, grinders and HVLP spray guns (but I don't necessarily need to run them continuously for long periods of time).

I've had my eye on the Harbor Freight 21 gal vertical oil-lubricated model for a long time, now, but I worry that (a) the quality won't be good enough and (b) the CFM capacity might not quite be high enough -- although if I understand correctly, anything much higher would be starting to require 240V wiring...

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
I've read many times that if it has moving parts then don't buy it at harbor freight unless your only going to use it once. It seems air compressors are something that has a lot of ways to fail and leak and something I am wary about buying at harbor freight... Has anyone bought one of the small cheap compressors at HF? have you had luck with them?

I am also no stranger to craigslist but am not in an area where it is very active and is very spread out. There are only a few people selling anything interesting and I don't want to drive 1.5 hours round trip to maybe buy a used compressor/gun that is only discounted $50-100 and worry about buying something that is on its last legs.

Also can I do all my trim with a 18 gauge brad nailer? I have read that you really should use 16 gauge nailer with 2"+ nails for attaching the main parts and the small nails for more delicate work. The MDF I am nailing through is 3/4" and the drywall is 3/4" too so with a 2" brad nail there is not much penetration into whatever studs/wood is back there.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:43:16 AM by CmFtns »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 08:43:59 AM »
I have both a finishing nailer and a brad nailer that I have used a TON.  IMO, most trim work doesn't take more than a brad nailer -- which also makes tiny holes for filling before painting.  I've had my brad nailer (Porter Cable) for 15+ years and never had any issues with it.   My finish nailer is newer (Senco) -- but I have also never had issues with it.

As for Jack's air compressor brand... I have a mid size Craftsman (20 gal, I think) from circa 1990s.  I would re-buy that compressor... but have come to not trust the more modern Craftsman power tools.  However, if I saw one at a garage sale/estate sale, I'd consider buying it.  Pump it all the way up, then drain it from the bottom... see how rusty the condensation is.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »

Also can I do all my trim with a 18 gauge brad nailer? I have read that you really should use 16 gauge nailer with 2"+ nails for attaching the main parts and the small nails for more delicate work. The MDF I am nailing through is 3/4" and the drywall is 3/4" too so with a 2" brad nail there is not much penetration into whatever studs/wood is back there.

I'm  no pro.  I use the 16ga finish nailer for things that are semi structural: hanging doors, window stool, etc.  I did a 3/4" wooden ceiling and used finish nails there since I was  fighting gravity and the boards were relatively heavy.  Standard moldings: I use a brad nailer. 

The brads will hold it in place.  I've found for moldings the most "holding power" is the caulk you put on when you paint.  ;)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
I've read many times that if it has moving parts then don't buy it at harbor freight unless your only going to use it once. It seems air compressors are something that has a lot of ways to fail and leak and something I am wary about buying at harbor freight... Has anyone bought one of the small cheap compressors at HF? have you had luck with them?

I've used quite a few HF portable compressors over the years and so far we've never had an issue with them.  Allow me explain; I do field research often in remote locations all over N. America and its often literally more expensive to transport expensive tools than to buy HF models.  We use air tools a lot because it allows us to work in wet locations and even underwater (yup!), and the tools themselves are so much cheaper than corded or battery powered models.  Typically we'll buy a compressor for a project and use it very extensively for a few weeks before putting it into some storage shed for a year or three. We've yet to have a compressor not work after being stored, but in total the compressors might have 4-5 running hours on them each season.

If you think you might use this for a few days a couple times a year I have no problem recommending HF.  IF you're trying to build up your personal tool library and think you may be reaching for a nail gun every couple weekends for the next 20+ years I'd say do yourself a favor and buy something that's a bit more BIFL - there are loads of quality 6 gal compressors out there for under $200, all of which should last you through hundreds of compressor hours (to do all the trim in your house might involve just 1-2 compressor hours).  It's all about how often you plan on using it.
FWIW, HF offers a 90 day return policy, so should you buy a compressor from them and have it fail you can get your money back.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
If I had made up my mind then I would not be asking because I would already own one. I am essentially "asking for a blessing" in that if a bunch of other like minded people with similar goals say that they think it is a great purchase or that they would make a similar decision then It would make my decision a lot easier. On the other hand if great ideas on how to do it a different way come up then I would consider those options as well.

I guess naturally I lean away from renting things for a couple reasons. Firstly, I think of it as wasted money or think of how good of a value the purchase price would be if I subtracted the rental fee. Especially in situations like this where the rental cost is a insultingly large percentage of the tool's value. Secondly, when I rent something I am "on the clock" and I feel all stressed out and try to hurry in order to get the job done without incurring extra rental time fees.

Fair enough, sorry for the accusation - I leapt too quickly to it there.  The "hurry" aspect is a good point to make and a lot of posters have suggested ways to buy one more cheaply.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
So I think the most bare bones to get the job done from harbor freight would be around $65-$90 depending on if I can get 20% off coupon and if I need additional hoses/connectors or they come with compressor
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-60637.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-brad-air-nailer-68021.html

On the other hand this bundle would seem like a better value and would fill more future needs. I'm sure I will find uses for this stuff at some point and would hate to come across a job I could not tackle with cheapo HF model and end up with 2 compressors
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-Portable-Air-Compressor-16-Gauge-Nailer-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Crown-Stapler-Combo-Kit-PCFP12234/203471431

I think I want to avoid craigslist for this purchase due to lack of quality postings in my area and the distance I would have to drive to get the few that exist

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 08:02:37 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the Porter-Cable set-up. I have one for about 15 years now, and it has served me well. The compressor finally quit about 4-5 years ago, but the three guns still work flawlessly. When it comes to HF, I only buy their power tools if I can view the purchase as disposable. I have bought two electric sanders and a small compressor from them in the last few years. All were shit, they took one sander back and the other two tools ended up in the garbage, after short and less than impressive careers. 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »
I decide how much I'm going to use a tool and what I'm using it for. In some cases it's best to get the cheap stuff from harbor freight. I had a pancake compressor I bought there cheap and it gave many quite a few years of service, I know have a nicer one I bought for a good price used on CL. As for finish nail gun, I don't do a lot of it and was fine getting a gun from Harbor Freight. It has more than paid for itself and I've used it and loaned it out to many baseboard jobs. Bottom line I'd suggest CL first and if you can't find what you want for a price you want got to Harbor Freight and buy new.

bradne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »
If you are going to want to run an impact and other tools. I would look for a Craftsman compressor.  At least a 3 or 4 HP with a minimum 20 gallon tank.  I have one a little bigger than that but I have had it close to 20 years and would buy another in a heartbeat.   Mine is actually made by devilbiss (sp?) and branded craftsman.  I am sure that a HF compressor would work, but they are louder and if you do have issues, parts will likely be difficult to come by.   I have seen some great deals on Craigslist (I have actually bought and flipped a couple). 

Regarding the brad nailer, I am going to go the opposite and recommend a Harbor Freight one.  They are dirt cheap (especially with the 20% off coupon) and the one I have has lasted for years. 

If you just want a compressor for the brad nailer, the Porter Cable pancake compressors that Home Depot and Lowes sell are probably about the best deal around.   They are quiet enough that you can run them indoors close to where you are working. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 05:24:45 AM »
Home Depot sells a decent trim nailer on the Ryobi platform that requires no compressor at all. You don't need anything more intense to put up trim.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 06:01:57 AM »
I'm going to pile on and say that buying a nailgun and compressor has been a game changer for me. Especially for ceiling, corner and awkward angle stuff. Instead of trying to get a good nail hit, holding the wood with one hand or needing a helper, you just pull the trigger. It still feels like magic.

I splurged for a decent name brand compressor (dewalt) and bought one of those 3-packs of different sized nail guns. The compressor can also be used to fill up air mattresses, car tires, or to power an impact wrench. Or even just blow air to clean up a work area. I find I use it all the time.

The first time you go along your baseboard and secure in 30 seconds what would have taken you 10 minutes, you'll know you made the right choice.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 07:09:37 AM »
Hey guys, size really matters.......:)

So a compressor really comes down to how/when you are using it. A 30 gallon compressor is going to be awesome, but is really only going to sit in one place. I use a 6 gallon pancake style porter cable compressor. This will run any nail gun you can throw at it no problem. It is slightly wider than a 5 gallon bucket and relatively portable. I like this type so I can take it from job to job.

As for attaching trim. I use a 18 gauge brad nailer, but if its loose or needs more help ill go back and drive a 2.5 inch nail to tighten things up if needed. I  probably could afford to purchase a finish nailer.

Good luck, go buy tools, you can never have too many!

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 07:27:43 AM »
DIY family here.  We regularly purchase tools unless we're certain that it's a one time job.  If that's the case, we're reasonable certain a friend will have it!

Good luck with your decision.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 07:35:40 AM »

So a compressor really comes down to how/when you are using it. A 30 gallon compressor is going to be awesome, but is really only going to sit in one place. I use a 6 gallon pancake style porter cable compressor. ...

So what you're telling us is that size matters and you have a small one, but that's ok because you can still run all over town using it?
:-P

(btw - agree that 6 gallon pancake-style compressors are great if you are the typical home-owner/weekend project person.)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »

So a compressor really comes down to how/when you are using it. A 30 gallon compressor is going to be awesome, but is really only going to sit in one place. I use a 6 gallon pancake style porter cable compressor. This will run any nail gun you can throw at it no problem. It is slightly wider than a 5 gallon bucket and relatively portable. I like this type so I can take it from job to job.

FWIW: I've dragged a 20gal all over the place.  Fits in the back of my tiny car.  A little heavy, but liftable with one person.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 08:08:46 AM »

FWIW: I've dragged a 20gal all over the place.  Fits in the back of my tiny car.  A little heavy, but liftable with one person.

...well now you're just bragging...

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:21 AM »

So a compressor really comes down to how/when you are using it. A 30 gallon compressor is going to be awesome, but is really only going to sit in one place. I use a 6 gallon pancake style porter cable compressor. ...

So what you're telling us is that size matters and you have a small one, but that's ok because you can still run all over town using it?
:-P

(btw - agree that 6 gallon pancake-style compressors are great if you are the typical home-owner/weekend project person.)

Six gallons is normal sized!!!!

*Buys f350 super duty to compensate*

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »
FWIW, my husband is in the process of doing all the trim in the house.  He did the bathroom by hand, then bought a nail gun (already had an industrial compressor).  Never looked back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »
I have undertaken projects that I simply cannot imagine doing with hand tools either because of the number of fasteners (by pantry has over 435 18 gauge nails and 144 pocket screws) or the confined space (think top shelf in a small closet, overhead and not enough room to swing a hammer . . . even if you did the needed yoga to get in position).

They have also made one man projects more manageable; I can now nail with 1 hand in less than a second with the motion of a finger . . . that means my other hand is free to do other things such as insure alignment.

Can I saw they have or will pay for themselves in a dollars and cents sense . . . no; can I say that I have gotten my money back in enjoyment of projects and finished items that would have otherwise either been done differently or not at all . . .yes.

I will second and third picking up tools on CL, but I am hesitant to tell you to off load them after the project unless you are not a DIY type or they are a speciality tool you will not use again (think nailer specifically for hardwood flooring and so on)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 10:45:40 AM »

I will second and third picking up tools on CL, but I am hesitant to tell you to off load them after the project unless you are not a DIY type or they are a speciality tool you will not use again (think nailer specifically for hardwood flooring and so on)

...and I actually had trouble getting rid of a hardwood flooring nailer on CL.  In fact, it's in my dad's estate sale now... and looks like it still won't sell.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
I ended up getting the porter cable bundle with the 6gal compressor 16ga finish nailer and 18ga brad nailer rather than the harbor freight because I think I will use it for other tools in the future and wanted a little more capacity than cheapest HF model. Craigslist had no one selling anything interesting.

I have a few pictures of the baseboards i've been working on if anyone is interested:

Cutting 6" MDF strips:

MDF attached to wall:

Cap and Base shoe attached:

Caulked, puttied, and primed:

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 11:18:32 AM »
Looks good. If you are doing more of the same, stop at a real, local lumber yard and ask if they stock pre-primed, finger jointed board stock. You could rip a 1x10, or 1x12 in half, and end up with inexpensive base material that is far superior to MDF, and inexpensive. In my area it is stocked in 16' lengths, so you would also avoid a lot of butt joints. Another trick is to use vinyl patching spackle for the nail holes. Install with a finger, wipe with a damp rag, and you're done. I'm not sure if you are caulking the nail holes, but it can be a PITA, compared to using spackle.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »

...and caulk will shrink.  A year from now, there will be a noticeable indent.   It's great for the long runs that are of varying widths.  It sucks for nail holes.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »

...and caulk will shrink.  A year from now, there will be a noticeable indent.   It's great for the long runs that are of varying widths.  It sucks for nail holes.

Did not use caulk for nail holes or gaps between boards, I used it to air seal behind everything. I used lightweight spaclking putty stuff for nail holes that I had laying around. and I did just like you said paddedhat using finger and damp rag/sponge. I learned how to caulk/spackle when I worked as a maintenance person at a apartment complex in college.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:49:08 AM by CmFtns »

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
Looks good. If you are doing more of the same, stop at a real, local lumber yard and ask if they stock pre-primed, finger jointed board stock. You could rip a 1x10, or 1x12 in half, and end up with inexpensive base material that is far superior to MDF, and inexpensive. In my area it is stocked in 16' lengths, so you would also avoid a lot of butt joints. Another trick is to use vinyl patching spackle for the nail holes. Install with a finger, wipe with a damp rag, and you're done. I'm not sure if you are caulking the nail holes, but it can be a PITA, compared to using spackle.

I already bought what I need to finish off the house and was fairly happy with the price at around $1.50/linear ft. Was able to get pretty decent deal at Lowe's with the contractor packs and a 10% off coupon I had. I used MDF because it was much cheaper than getting the pre-primed board stock at Lowe's and also I was reading this website a lot (http://www.thejoyofmoldings.com/) and he uses it pretty extensively.

Dealing with a lumber yard is difficult for me because the ones here are only open during the hours I work and the couple times I've bought stuff from them it was items that they needed to order in and I had to wait quite a while. 16 ft lengths are hard for me to get home and maneuver around for cutting. I'm okay with using 8ft sections and sistering the joints together. As a DIY person I can take time and get it to come out right... the one's I've done so far you cant see the joints at all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:26:55 PM by CmFtns »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
CmFtns - I really like the way that looks, awesome job.  Why did you put the MDF on un-primed?  Seems like that would add a lot more time on hand-and-knees priming and painting. 

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
CmFtns - I really like the way that looks, awesome job.  Why did you put the MDF on un-primed?  Seems like that would add a lot more time on hand-and-knees priming and painting.

Thanks, as for the priming I didn't really put a ton of thought into it... I guess my figuring was that all the areas where I used putty and sanded would need to be primed and painted anyway so I just kinda started doing it this way... Maybe I will try priming first for the other rooms I still need to do. I've gotten 2 out of 5 rooms done so far.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »

Did not use caulk for nail holes or gaps between boards, I used it to air seal behind everything. I used lightweight spaclking putty stuff for nail holes that I had laying around. and I did just like you said paddedhat using finger and damp rag/sponge. I learned how to caulk/spackle when I worked as a maintenance person at a apartment complex in college.

I would have thought spackle would crack.  Is it flexible to hold up with years of  movement?

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2016, 05:25:21 PM »

I would have thought spackle would crack.  Is it flexible to hold up with years of  movement?

I basically just did what this guy said: http://www.thejoyofmoldings.com/when-to-use-spackling-and-when-to-use-caulk-moldings/
I will see what happens in a few years... that seems like a problem for future ME to worry about and fix
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:30:54 PM by CmFtns »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »

I basically just did what this guy said: http://www.thejoyofmoldings.com/when-to-use-spackling-and-when-to-use-caulk-moldings/
I will see what happens in a few years... that seems like a problem for future ME to worry about and fix

I've filled some pretty wide gaps with caulk and not had problems.  Very occasionally I filled them, waited a couple of days, then refilled them. 

I have no experience whatsoever with using spackle on anything other than small holes.... It might be awesome.  I just haven't tried it.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
No, vinyl repair Spackle will not shrink or crack when used in nail holes. It works great, trust me, my painting subcontractors have done it this way for decades. As for pre-priming the MDF, absolutely. Use a 4" mini-roller handle with a foam roller. On MDF it will give you a first coat that looks like you sprayed it on. As a side note, the big box stores will give you a good fucking on trim prices. When doing new homes, I pay less than half of their prices, when ordering whole house trim packages from my local lumber yard. 

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
My husband talked me into a compressor, finish nailer, framing nailer, and stapler when we built our first chicken coop and run.  I fussed about it, but it made construction so much faster and easier that we're a lot more willing to DIY bigger projects.  Plus, DH has carpal tunnel and too much hammering sets it off pretty badly.  The compressor has come in very handy for inflating tires and kid's toys as well. 

I don't think it would be worth buying for one project, but if you plan to do a lot of projects over a long stretch of time, it really helps.