Author Topic: The sourdough thread  (Read 151077 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: The sourdough thread
« Reply #500 on: June 01, 2022, 02:59:29 AM »
I recentlig purchased a few baskets and have made a few breads since.

The first time using them, I left the cloth inside the basket and covered it with flour. I was running out of time and had to take the breads out of the baskets before they had poofed enough. They collapsed into a flat bread when taken out of the basket. According to fluffiness, they were like my old breads, not fluffy.

I have gone back to basic and studied lots of sourdough movies. One challenge it that most movies show bread with white dough. And I use as much wholegrain as I can. First I give the flour and water a rest before adding the yeast. I have dropped my "no dirty hands" method. Now I tear and fold the dough by hand many times. Although I still use the handmixer to stir in the starter. The dough seems really to hang together when shaping it.

The second time using the baskets, I took the cloth out of the baskets and added a lot of flour to the basket. Let it poof overnight in the fridge. When taking out, the dough was glued to the bottom of the basket and became a disaster like described above. It was still my best bread ever, apart from the shape. It was pretty fluffy.

To make it more difficult this morning, I am using an traditional type grain, called emmer (Triticum turgidum L. subsp. dicoccum), although I added a little traditional type wheat as well. I might need to bake them in the shape, as these old grains have less gluten than modern grain and might not keep their shape as well. I will check on the farmer's webside if they have some advise.

I think that keeping the cloth inside the poofing basket is the best method to take the dough out of it. The dough will fall out of the basket nicely and you can then carefully drag off the cloth. But ypu won't get the pretty pattern that the baskets have when using the cloth.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #501 on: June 01, 2022, 04:21:27 AM »
PTF

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #502 on: June 01, 2022, 10:59:38 AM »
Latest loaf from this AM (mixed, stretched/folded yesterday and left to bulk ferment overnight... I think I went slightly over by probably an hour on the bulk ferment though... I woke up at around 6am for a work call and checked the dough - a lot of it was pressed up against the saran wrap. I had my call and almost an hour later it had deflated slightly. Temp downstairs was probably between 70-72F all night). This is a 40/60 combo of whole wheat flour (from Target) and strong flour (from Trader Joes):

(I do need to work on tucking and pinching off my folds a bit more haha)

I was patient with this and let it sit for roughly 2 hours before slicing it in half. The crumb developed very nicely (it was hard coming out of the oven and the steam I guess softened it up a bit from the inside while the outside is nice and crispy). This one, by far, has been the best flavor and texture wise. It is the most sour of all the loaves I've made as well. I'm thinking the increase in whole wheat flour AND feeding the starter more consistently with whole wheat flour played a large role in the overall sourness. I just ate a couple pieces now and am tempted for more but need to hold off until lunch: I've been on a caprese sandwich run (mozarella, basil, tomatoes, TJs garlic spread and a touch of olive oil/balsamic/pepper) as of late - hard to get tired of that but I'm sure I will eventually hahaha.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:03:34 AM by jeromedawg »