Author Topic: The Fixer's Manifesto  (Read 4296 times)

igthebold

• Bristles
The Fixer's Manifesto
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
Just saw this today: https://sugru.com/manifesto

Seems very much in the spirit of Mustachianism

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The Fixer's Manifesto
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »
Besides the manifesto, that looks like some cool stuff to use.  I may have to find some things around here that need fixing.  :)

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
I love this! I've been running across the idea of "buying it for life" more and more often, and i think our capacity to fix the items we buy (and buying ones that can be fixed in he first place!) is critical.

Best,
Mr. Pop

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:43:27 AM »
I agree! Everything today seems to have planned obsolescence. I always look to see if there is some sort of support either by the manufacturer or preferably from the "aftermarket"- (ie: cheaper) before buying things.... I've even ventured into the repair of our older laptops... Not as hard as I thought... Same with car and home repairs...

I am told that the old "tube" tv's used to be self- repairable by simply buying a new tube... These days, it's been made a little harder. Even though I might be scared, I would always to try to fix things myself first...

zug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
Beware of the sugru product, though. I bought some and it worked... for a few months. Tried to use it for a bunch of different things, and it just wasn't durable enough for anything.

SilverSoul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
This is a great - thanks for sharing!

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
Beware of the sugru product, though. I bought some and it worked... for a few months. Tried to use it for a bunch of different things, and it just wasn't durable enough for anything.

I've never heard of this product until your post, then did a quick search on it. When the first thing I see on their webpage is how to fix electrical problems with their product, I closed the window. Scary. I'll stick with repairing problems properly with tried and true methods.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!