Author Topic: The Barnhouse Transformation  (Read 88189 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: The Barnhouse Transformation
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2016, 04:56:46 AM »
Pleb photo below. Momma and the boys are coming tomorrow.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2016, 05:18:26 AM »
Protip: You can hire people for money to do things.

I do it with my real estate, and it works great.

We're rehabbing a kitchen 8,030 miles (12,900 km) from me right now!

:)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2016, 06:01:21 AM »
Oh boy, a project unfolding before my eyes and I barely have to lift a finger, hooray!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »
Tip...

If you ever Reno a bathroom, don't put your hammer where it can fall on the toilet.

Related... glad I have a spare toilet back at the other house.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:51 AM »
I'm in - you're going to be one handy person to follow.  Love reno projects.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »
Tip...

If you ever Reno a bathroom, don't put your hammer where it can fall on the toilet.

Related... glad I have a spare toilet back at the other house.

Beyond that, be extremely careful with broken porcelain bathroom fixtures and glazed cast iron or steel. I was doing a job and didn't realize that a glazed tub had been damaged. I grazed the edge of the broken area of the tub rim, with the back of my arm, and started shooting blood, like a cheesy  horror movie, before I even knew what happened.  I had an elderly neighbor who was pounding on a toilet bowl, that was stuck to the floor flange. Instead of breaking loose from the floor, the bowl unexpectedly shattered and sliced his arm so badly that he nearly bled out, by the time the medivac chopper got to him. Had he been alone at the time, he wouldn't of made it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »
Top half of the bathroom has blue board up. I'd post pictures but the gaps are pretty bad. You'll have to wake until it's mudded. Plaster and paint are what the Carpenter ain't.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »
You know what I hate doing? Drywall. It's never fun.

This much hung. Almost done.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2016, 05:29:16 AM »
Missed sunrise, but here's the view out the front door this morning...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2016, 05:49:48 AM »
I have no idea how to drywall, so you're lightyears ahead of me.

But that gorgeous scenery... Crisp, cold autumn air?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2016, 05:55:16 AM »
Yes. And I posted it upside down just for all the Aussies reading along.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »
Bathroom looking so much better already!
And I'm still enjoying apples from that tree!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »
Glad to be it Can't wait.

Worked through some tricky compound angles this morning, and now closing up the last interior wall. All that's left is the closet and hall, and they should be easy.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
Man, that drywall is hung!

I'll see myself out.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
You are hilarious. 

I have help today!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
And she's even still smiling!  What a trooper.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2016, 09:11:59 PM »
How many layers of wallpaper had to be steamed off? At least on crisp fall days the steam feels good....

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2016, 05:45:18 AM »
On that wall, only one layer. Others have as many as three.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
My wife is an amazing stripper!!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »

That was a very misleading sentence for the pictures posted.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2016, 10:40:49 AM »

That was a very misleading sentence for the pictures posted.

Yes, but it's exactly the caption my husband would have used.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »
Master bedroom because... can you spot the issue?

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »
After reading your posts about jacking up the beam, I wish I'd seen it before I worked on the floor, walls, and ceiling in my house.

When I moved in, there was cracked plaster and floors in terrible shape.  Also a fair bit of sloped floors.  None of it was recent (it's a 1920s house), but it had clearly been like that for a while.  I skim coated/repaired a bunch of the plaster (in retrospect I wish I'd ripped it out and put up drywall).  I also ripped out the old floors, leveling in one room but not in another room (because I didn't want to mess with having to undercut doors and other stuff).  I didn't address the root cause of the sloping.  I kind of want to do that, but now I'm afraid that doing it will re-crack the plaster and I'll have to deal with that whole mess again..

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2016, 12:30:10 PM »
After reading your posts about jacking up the beam, I wish I'd seen it before I worked on the floor, walls, and ceiling in my house.

When I moved in, there was cracked plaster and floors in terrible shape.  Also a fair bit of sloped floors.  None of it was recent (it's a 1920s house), but it had clearly been like that for a while.  I skim coated/repaired a bunch of the plaster (in retrospect I wish I'd ripped it out and put up drywall).  I also ripped out the old floors, leveling in one room but not in another room (because I didn't want to mess with having to undercut doors and other stuff).  I didn't address the root cause of the sloping.  I kind of want to do that, but now I'm afraid that doing it will re-crack the plaster and I'll have to deal with that whole mess again..

I bet if you jack it, you'll end up with lots of new cracking.

You should have done something more like this rather than try to fix the plaster.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:08:38 AM by Prospector »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »
That ceiling was a little scary coming down. I cut the plaster with a diamond blade in the angle grinder. After that, a couple pulls by hand and the whole thing came down in 4' square slabs. The previous owner's bed was under that.

The setup below is a plaster eating monster. Love it!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:36:21 PM by Prospector »

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2016, 12:44:35 PM »

I bet if you jack it, you'll end up with lots of new cracking.

You should have done something more limited this rather than try to fix the plaster.

My plan is to wait for the next earthquake that cracks the plaster; if we get one of those, I'll do the necessary jacking.  Assuming I don't move before then.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
Sounds good. No earthquakes around here. I'm being proactive.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2016, 05:43:39 AM »
Master bedroom because... can you spot the issue?

You're way too picky; it wasn't sagging THAT bad. :D

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
Landscaping questions:

1. Common Lilac - there is an ages-old Lilac treeshrub placed poorly right next to the breezeway between the house and Garage. I don't mind the tree, but it is big. Like 20' high or more, with about eight 4" caliper trunks. This tree poses both a challenge and an opportunity. The challenge is that our plumber cannot get into the backyard tio trench in a new sewer line since this treeshrub and a rose (see next item) block the path. The Opportunity is that I want to put in a hedge along the property fenceline for privacy.

2. Explorer rose - there is an explorer roas treeshrub next to teh lilac, having similar dimensions. Trunks on it are about 3" caliper, with a number of smaller canes coming off the rootstock. It would not surprise me if  most of the shrub is reverted to wild rose rootstock. I would like to transplant this as a single plant, but haven't really thought out where it should go. I might want to divide it and make 4 plants of the one.

Questions:

Lilac - At this time of year the lilac is mostly dormant. If the plumber was to use a backhoe to dig it up and replant, how likely would it be to survive? If I were to cut up the rootstock with a chainsaw/axe, how successful do you think I would be at getting multiple plants out of this one tree? Next spring, I think I'll try starting slips to establish a hedgerow; has anyone done the thing where you cut spears of tender growth and poke 'em in the ground to start a hedge? any success? Option B is to cut it down to the ground, drive the equipment over it, and then cut slips next spring to move around the yard. Lilacs sucker so readily, I am not concerned either way.

Rose - Similar to the Lilac - a rose this old (I've never dealt with one this far gone) is almost a tree. Will it survive being moved? Should I be concerned with digging/moving it? How successful would division by chainsaw be? Maybe I just take the nothing to lose sort of approach and dig it with impunity.

Other:
I am aware that my posts in this thread are generally VERY short, and can come across either rude or flippant. I apologize, but I am posting using a blackberry that is a beast to type on. Sorry if anyone feels like I'm ignoring them on this thread. I'm not. I just can't put decent replies together while I'm up there.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
Sorry to say: neither of these plants are terribly valuable horticulturally speaking.  $20 bucks would replace either of them with a substantially large container grown plant with an intact graft and superior hybrid. I would suggest that the survival chances are small to zero at this time of year.  Overly mature plants don't like moving and these individual haven't been pre-stressed to prepare. Chances of transplant success are completely dependent on post care - regular watering.  Since this is an investment property, I would suggest moving these only if you have nothing else to do and can burn a day on a lark or even planting replacements only if you are interested in gardening at your investment property.  To compensate for loss of biomass, plant a canopy tree in the front shade and curb appeal or a conifer in the back for habitat instead. Trees are lower maintenance to establish and add property value.  Pick a native species that would support local wildlife and chose a location that would modify micro-climate.  A deciduous tree on the south east will reduce need for air conditioning but allow solar gain in the winter.  Extend a downspout to it and it probably won't need watering to get established.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
Sorry to say: neither of these plants are terribly valuable horticulturally speaking.  $20 bucks would replace either of them with a substantially large container grown plant with an intact graft and superior hybrid. I would suggest that the survival chances are small to zero at this time of year.  Overly mature plants don't like moving and these individual haven't been pre-stressed to prepare. Chances of transplant success are completely dependent on post care - regular watering.  Since this is an investment property, I would suggest moving these only if you have nothing else to do and can burn a day on a lark or even planting replacements only if you are interested in gardening at your investment property.  To compensate for loss of biomass, plant a canopy tree in the front shade and curb appeal or a conifer in the back for habitat instead. Trees are lower maintenance to establish and add property value.  Pick a native species that would support local wildlife and chose a location that would modify micro-climate.  A deciduous tree on the south east will reduce need for air conditioning but allow solar gain in the winter.  Extend a downspout to it and it probably won't need watering to get established.

I feel about the same way about their value. If I can keep them alive until spring, I see and vantage. If not, no great loss.

OTHER NEWS:

Just got an email from plumber dude - sewer trench is being dug on Thursday!! Yippee!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »
Just got an email from plumber dude - sewer trench is being dug on Thursday!! Yippee!

More importantly, did he get a deer?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2016, 05:56:11 AM »

More importantly, did he get a deer?

I'd love to see pictures of his deer.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2016, 06:26:43 AM »
I doubt we'll get to see the deer. He'll be trenching while I'm sitting in a desk or in meetings 100 km away.

Other question for real reno pros... Roof insulation.

You know that bedroom ceiling I dropped the other day? I'm pondering how to rebuild it because it would be nice to properly insulate while things are opened up. The existing roof has krat paper backed insulation with the paper side toward the house (mostly - some is with the paper to the roof) and 2X4 stick framing.

condensation between the underside of the roof and the paper is/has been an obvious issue. The bathroom walls had similar problems. I believe this is because there was an inadequate air gap between the insulation and roof deck/wall sheathing. But with 2X4 framing, there isn't much room to leave for airflow.

As I see it I have 2 options - option 1 is to put in purlins running along the sides of the rafters, then use PL Premium to glue pink board insulation to the purlins. put up vapour barrier (VB), then finish with drywall. This will allow airflow, but be tedious, and I am not sure that the solid insulation is as effective as FG batts.

Option 2 is to close my eyes, restuff the space with FG batts, put up VB and be done with it.

I guess the real question is with how effective VB is at preventing condensation in the roof. Should I have confidence that teh VB will prevent the issues with water gathering under the roof deck? There are no visible vents, and with the steel roof, little opportunity to install any. There may be a ridge vent that i have not noticed if it is integrated with the steel tiles.

Any comments? Ideas?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2016, 07:46:31 AM »
My understanding is this: You've got two options:
A) vented.  You make sure there's an air path from the soffit all the way up to your vents.  You can get baffles that you insert between the rafters/trusses to make sure there's an air path, and you can fill the remaining space with insulation
B) unvented.  You fill the whole space with insulation.  I have a sister who did this with blown-in cellulose, but you could do it with batts as well. more information here

In either case, but especially in option B, you want to make dang sure that your vapor barrier is correctly installed and seam sealed.  That may entail pulling down *all* the drywall/plaster.  Personally, I like option B better than A, because it's simpler and you get more insulation.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:54:29 AM by zolotiyeruki »

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »
B) unvented.  You fill the whole space with insulation.  I have a sister who did this with blown-in cellulose, but you could do it with batts as well. more information here

Mind your thermal bridges, too.  If you were redoing the roof, you could have a few inches of foam board between the rafters and actual roof to break the thermal bridge that the wooden rafters provide.  Since you don't have that opportunity, consider how warm, humid air meeting a cold rafter will react.  If you can afford the extra head space, I would probably try to drop the ceiling an inch or so (using furring strips) and fill the gap with spray foam or foam board.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the insulation tips folks... I'm thinking a double layer of hard insulation. Also the advice has been overwhelmingly in favour of dropping the entire ceiling rather than teh piecemeal approach I was hoping to take. Downside - more work/mess/debris. Upside - better insulation and nicer ceiling. I should pick up a respirator today before I head back up there.

Distressing news from the plumber...

They spent the entire day yesterday digging for the sewer stub at property line. It was to be at a depth of 8 ft. That was the extent of the reach of the mini-ex that was able to fit in the back yard. The excavator reached 8 feet and found... dirt. They dug a pit, drove the minit into it, and went down deeper. At 14 feet down they found the pipe.

The budget/timeline for the job was 2 days of trenching, but this extra depth with a machine ill suited to the task means more time/labour, which in turn will mean more $$$. I'm waiting to hear from the plumber this morning. I suspect the news will not be good. On the upside, this may mean the sewer line will come in below the floor deck in the basement and the cost of excavation could be offset by not needing an ejection pit and pump for the basement suite. On the downside... not spending the money in the first place would have been a welcome option.

I'll be going up there tonight. Wonder what kind of a mess is waiting for me.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2016, 06:32:18 AM »
Sometimes to get the job done you just have to dig deep.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2016, 06:33:38 AM »
Sorry about the pipe. Hope it works out.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »
Thanks for the insulation tips folks... I'm thinking a double layer of hard insulation. Also the advice has been overwhelmingly in favour of dropping the entire ceiling rather than teh piecemeal approach I was hoping to take. Downside - more work/mess/debris. Upside - better insulation and nicer ceiling. I should pick up a respirator today before I head back up there.

Distressing news from the plumber...

They spent the entire day yesterday digging for the sewer stub at property line. It was to be at a depth of 8 ft. That was the extent of the reach of the mini-ex that was able to fit in the back yard. The excavator reached 8 feet and found... dirt. They dug a pit, drove the minit into it, and went down deeper. At 14 feet down they found the pipe.

The budget/timeline for the job was 2 days of trenching, but this extra depth with a machine ill suited to the task means more time/labour, which in turn will mean more $$$. I'm waiting to hear from the plumber this morning. I suspect the news will not be good. On the upside, this may mean the sewer line will come in below the floor deck in the basement and the cost of excavation could be offset by not needing an ejection pit and pump for the basement suite. On the downside... not spending the money in the first place would have been a welcome option.

I'll be going up there tonight. Wonder what kind of a mess is waiting for me.
I'd consider that a blessing in disguise.  Our sewer pipe is a couple feet up from the basement floor, which means that not only will we need an ejector pit/pump, we'll also need to frame off the little room where it will reside.  That one little detail is making it really hard for me to lay out the basement the way I want to :(

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Posting to follow!  I love seeing remodel projects come together.  I have yet to tackle mine, so I'm living vicariously until I can figure out what I'm doing.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »
More extras...

- Excavator hit fresh water line - city water line was tapped into ancient well water line. Water line is being replaced with new.
- sump pump discharge is being run backwards up trench and will now empty into swale at back of property. This will prevent sump re-circulation into basement.
- Water meter being turned flush to wall so that 2nd kitchen floorplan can work.
- water heater being moved back by 2 ft so it is flush with furnace for wall framing.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »
Maybe this is where the term "money pit" came from? I hope the excavation costs don't add too much in terms of dollars. They'll probably have to bring in some bigger equipment - 14' is really far down there!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
Maybe this is where the term "money pit" came from? I hope the excavation costs don't add too much in terms of dollars. They'll probably have to bring in some bigger equipment - 14' is really far down there!

I doubt it - he's going after me on the extras to make up for it though. The original quote was for a double-dig, so I'll politely mention that to him if he goes after me for it.

I wonder how much he's going to charge for a coil of pipe to run the sump with...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »
Plumber just texted me a photo. I asked where his trenchbox is. Can you imagine a cave-in down there? Ugh. Snow - does this look familiar? Yup, its a family business...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »
ACK. Having been in large excavation pits myself, I'm just going to cross my fingers for you here.

(Where is their fencing and sloped sides and all those other things I wasn't paying attention to at the time?!)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
ACK. Having been in large excavation pits myself, I'm just going to cross my fingers for you here.

(Where is their fencing and sloped sides and all those other things I wasn't paying attention to at the time?!)

He actually has 2 guys in there. And yeah - 1:1 slopes, trench box, fencing (you could argue that the yard is fenced, but still...) etc. etc.

Anyways, they are backfilling now. Should be mostly smoothed over once I get there.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »
Back again the Barnhouse, and I was glad to hook up the trailer tonight to have it ready for an early morning trip to the dump. Apparently the plumber thinks otherwise.

He also thinks I should not work in the basement.

Back to the master bedroom ceiling, I guess.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
Momma just sent this pic. Apparently Bernie has been there since I left the house 2 hours ago. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2016, 08:32:40 PM »
Aww, she wanted to be your helper again.