Author Topic: The Barnhouse Transformation  (Read 88177 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: The Barnhouse Transformation
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »
Delay in critical path... drywall and lumber delivery 3 hrs late. Should have done risk analysis on that.

Bathroom tear out completed. Considering how much existing plaster and drywall is really salvageable.

Off schedule by about 30 minutes.

Did you schedule in foruming time?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
Plumber just stopped by with a quote to hook up to city sewers. $4500. I think it's worth it. We'll be to see what the formal quote looks like.

He red flagged the venting in the bathroom I'm working on, and suggested a different approach to my planned path, but his suggestion makes good sense.

I need to think about this.

Forum time is pretty limited... just quick breaks.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »
Need professional opinions here... sink under slope or toilet under slope?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
Toilet, because you have to stand while using the sink & there is a greater chance of hitting your head.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
I vote toilet as well...

(What an odd phrase to type.)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
Toilet, because you have to stand while using the sink & there is a greater chance of hitting your head.

I thought I posted already but maybe I closed the window without posting. Ditto this, basically. Even if you're standing to use the toilet you're not in the lowest part of the slope when doing so, and not 100% of users will be standing to pee but 100% of users will be standing to wash their hands.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2016, 05:40:25 PM »
I agree with all of you. Excellent.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
See, I kind of thought about it differently.

Sink, you're standing and walking up to it.  You can see how much headspace you have to work with.

Toilet, you're facing forward, so you're not naturally looking to see how much headspace you have when you stand.  I picture myself hitting my head way more standing up from the toilet vs. walking up to the sink.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »
Hanging a mirror would be hard with the ceiling like that though.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2016, 12:49:36 AM »
Hanging a mirror would be hard with the ceiling like that though.

Do a full-length on the back of the bathroom door?  Or a mirror on another wall, not directly above the sink?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
Is there another option?
Sink perpendicular to the toilet under the slope?
That corner looks like it would make for a nasty headbump!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »
It's bedside your head, sitting down.

Almost certainly for the weekend. Toilet is functional, the sink needs drains hooked up. Floor is replaced and reinforced, and all plumbing back to the stack and supply replaced.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2016, 01:20:45 PM »
Forgot pics... next weekend will have to be about framing and drywall.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
Better!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2016, 07:20:35 PM »
The descriptions are great, but....

Right you are Kenny, right you are.

There's a hole in the ceiling, dear Liza, dear Liza...

FOUND IT!  (the story of Barnhouse, that is).  I missed the sleepover but visited on the way to DD's, and this is what the living room looked like.  Even worse in real life.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »
My new hobby is trolling kijiji looking for a kitchen to bring in for the basement apartment. I'm really getting ahead of the program looking, but its so fun to do. People keep telling me you can't put a kitchen in for under $20,000 - yet ads like this tell me that's a lie: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-renovation-cabinet-counter/trenton-on/complete-kitchen-cabinets-sink-and-counter/1208456115

The biggest question is whether I can make up a basement layout that will work with used cabinets. I like to believe I am up to the challenge.

A lot of time the cabinets are just fine, it's just the doors that need updating.   If you're going for modern, that's not hard to do at all.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2016, 06:17:25 AM »
My new hobby is trolling kijiji looking for a kitchen to bring in for the basement apartment. I'm really getting ahead of the program looking, but its so fun to do. People keep telling me you can't put a kitchen in for under $20,000 - yet ads like this tell me that's a lie: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-renovation-cabinet-counter/trenton-on/complete-kitchen-cabinets-sink-and-counter/1208456115

The biggest question is whether I can make up a basement layout that will work with used cabinets. I like to believe I am up to the challenge.

A lot of time the cabinets are just fine, it's just the doors that need updating.   If you're going for modern, that's not hard to do at all.

The basement is unfinished, so the kitchen down there will be 'from scratch.' But its the least of my worries right now. I'm trying to get the upper unit rent-ready before I tackle anything 'pleasant' downstairs. My basement work at this point is limited to mechanical and structural work.

I had a plumber in on the weekend to quote the sewer hookup. His preliminary estimate is in the order of $4500. That seems reasonable to me.

I've asked him to get back to me with his availability this fall.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 10:25:17 AM »
Following!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
A rare midweek barnhouse post...

We got a quote back from a plumber to hook us up to municipal sewers - something that I think is a big YES for a rental. Price is well within my range of acceptability and the guy seems decent and forthright. He did try to upsell me and get a job replumbing the DIY work on the runs from teh kitchen and main floor bathroom, and then commented about needing to vent the whole house etc. but for now, we'll have him do the sewer run and see how happy we are.

Anyway, his quote came in at $5200 including permits, town fees, taxes, excavation, and his work. I've given the nod and now need to send him a cheque for $2600 to get things started...

This should be easy, except that our bank has an e-transfer limit of $2,000 so I can't send the full amount. I find it embarassing, but it looks like I'll have to send $2,000 today, and then $600 tomorrow. Knowing that it is at least a week to get locates and mobilize, I'm going to ask if he can just meet me up there on the weekend, and I'll give him the full amount in person. So much easier.

Another foolish challenge has been getting the key to our mailbox (superbox). For reasons known only to themselves, the previous owners did not give us a mailbox key. We haven't been able to get our mail since taking on the house. Canada Post did go out and rekey the box to ensure our security - which is fantastic. But we can't empty it.

I just got a call from the mail distribution centre that our box is overfull and we should clean it out. This is challenging.

I called Canada Post, and they cannot courier or mail us the key, nor can they hand us a key. being that the post office is not open when we are in town, I can't see how they thought we would get the key at all. The supervisor has agreed to stay on duty Friday night until we arrive, and then we can pick up a key from him as soon as we arrive in town.

Such a hassle for such a little thing.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 02:25:22 PM »
*snip*
I called Canada Post, and they cannot courier or mail us the key, nor can they hand us a key. being that the post office is not open when we are in town, I can't see how they thought we would get the key at all. The supervisor has agreed to stay on duty Friday night until we arrive, and then we can pick up a key from him as soon as we arrive in town.

It is time to start baking cookies for that supervisor!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
This should be easy, except that our bank has an e-transfer limit of $2,000 so I can't send the full amount. I find it embarassing, but it looks like I'll have to send $2,000 today, and then $600 tomorrow.

Why?  Just explain the reason, that it's a bank limitation.  He won't care.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2016, 06:09:39 PM »
This is when you ask your rewards credit card for blank cheques, which they mail to you. They will consider things paid with these cheques to be balance transfers so will charge interest from day 1, so pay it off the same day, but you'll get points or whatever on the amounts. Easy peasy.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2016, 06:20:28 PM »
This is when you ask your rewards credit card for blank cheques, which they mail to you. They will consider things paid with these cheques to be balance transfers so will charge interest from day 1, so pay it off the same day, but you'll get points or whatever on the amounts. Easy peasy.

Usually balance transfers don't count for points, as they aren't "purchases."

At least here in the states, IDK about up there in the Great White North. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »
Huh. Prosp, check your terms then probably ignore my advice.

Like always.

Sob.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »

Usually balance transfers don't count for points, as they aren't "purchases."

At least here in the states, IDK about up there in the Great White North. :)

Same rules. This was plan A.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
A rare midweek barnhouse post...

We got a quote back from a plumber to hook us up to municipal sewers - something that I think is a big YES for a rental. Price is well within my range of acceptability and the guy seems decent and forthright. He did try to upsell me and get a job replumbing the DIY work on the runs from teh kitchen and main floor bathroom, and then commented about needing to vent the whole house etc. but for now, we'll have him do the sewer run and see how happy we are.

Anyway, his quote came in at $5200 including permits, town fees, taxes, excavation, and his work. I've given the nod and now need to send him a cheque for $2600 to get things started...

This should be easy, except that our bank has an e-transfer limit of $2,000 so I can't send the full amount. I find it embarassing, but it looks like I'll have to send $2,000 today, and then $600 tomorrow. Knowing that it is at least a week to get locates and mobilize, I'm going to ask if he can just meet me up there on the weekend, and I'll give him the full amount in person. So much easier.

Another foolish challenge has been getting the key to our mailbox (superbox). For reasons known only to themselves, the previous owners did not give us a mailbox key. We haven't been able to get our mail since taking on the house. Canada Post did go out and rekey the box to ensure our security - which is fantastic. But we can't empty it.

I just got a call from the mail distribution centre that our box is overfull and we should clean it out. This is challenging.

Is it PC financial that you're using? If you ask nicely, they will often waive that and let you send more. Or maybe it was that their system doesn't allow more than $2000 in the box but you can get them to life the same-day limit so you can send both at once. One of those is possible - I had to do that for a car purchase.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »
Got an email from the plumber this AM that $2K is enough for a deposit. Sent the transfer. All good now.

I still need to scan and send the signback, but I think the wheels are at least turning.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 12:18:55 PM »
Another email from the plumber...

He got my deposit and signback, everything looks good. He'll hook up my sewer as soon as he shoots a deer.

I wasn't aware that shooting a deer was in the critical path of this project, but apparently I am in rural Ontario, where deer hunting is important. The plumber will let me know when he gets back from shooting a deer, and then he'll take out permits and get going on this.

Such a podunkville turn of events. I have other work to do in the interim, so not really a big deal or anything, but totally unexpected. Maybe I'll get a steak out of the deal. In the meantime, I'll mention to the neighbour that the work is being done and see if we can get access across her lot or something.

Also, I need to get mailbox keys tonight. Cannot forget mailbox keys.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »
I FINALLY GOT MAILBOX KEYS!!!!!!

Going to check the mail now...

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2016, 06:37:55 PM »

Yay! Was that postal worker person there after her shift waiting for you?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2016, 04:15:02 AM »
Back at the barnhouse. I'm having a hard time getting started today though. Figure maybe some light painting to break the inertia. The real problem though is going the help won't pull its weight.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2016, 04:16:38 AM »

Yay! Was that postal worker person there after her shift waiting for you?

Yeah he was. I've never seen a mail sorting plant before. Very impressive, so much manual labor!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2016, 05:18:34 AM »
One wall painted. Time for breakfast.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2016, 07:09:30 AM »
Back at the barnhouse. I'm having a hard time getting started today though. Figure maybe some light painting to break the inertia. The real problem though is going the help won't pull its weight.
The help looks like she would rather be anyplace else.   ;-)  Or at least be allowed to sleep. Or have a walk.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »
The help looks like she would rather be anyplace else.   ;-)  Or at least be allowed to sleep. Or have a walk.

Bernie is thinking: "I am here for LOOKS, ONLY!"

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2016, 04:20:25 PM »

Typical Burmese.  Unless there are unguarded cookies on the counter, LOL.  Love those mutts. My buddy had one that was the size of a pony, head as big as a drywall bucket. If the dog found him talking to a stranger in the house, he would hide in the kitchen and peak around the cabinets, since it was way too scary to actually get near anybody he didn't know.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
if you got sanding blocks that fit on bernie's feet would they be... bernie sanders?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2016, 04:42:30 PM »

Typical Burmese.  Unless there are unguarded cookies on the counter, LOL.  Love those mutts. My buddy had one that was the size of a pony, head as big as a drywall bucket. If the dog found him talking to a stranger in the house, he would hide in the kitchen and peak around the cabinets, since it was way too scary to actually get near anybody he didn't know.

Not to be pedantic... Ok, to be pedantic, a Burmese is a python from Burma (AKA Myanmar). A Bernese is a dog from Bern, Switzerland. But you are right about the cookies. She stole some of mine shortly after that picture was taken. Bernie is small for the breed though, and testing has proven she can only clean out half of an unguarded dutch oven left on the front burner of the stove.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »

Not to be pedantic... Ok, to be pedantic, a Burmese is a python from Burma (AKA Myanmar). A Bernese is a dog from Bern, Switzerland. But you are right about the cookies. She stole some of mine shortly after that picture was taken. Bernie is small for the breed though, and testing has proven she can only clean out half of an unguarded dutch oven left on the front burner of the stove.

Shit, I learned something today. I've been calling them by the wrong name, well, forever. They are, as a group, ridiculously cute and lovable.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2016, 06:41:30 PM »
Dudes - There's a complete kitchen cabinet layout at the RE-Store for $600. Its a 12' X 6' L shaped kitchen with clear pine doors and particle board cabs.

They want $600 for it. No countertop and no sink though. Thinking hard on this one. The big challenge - it came out of a house with 10' ceilings, so the uppers are HUGE. My basement has 8' clearance to the rafters and I need to put in a floor and a ceiling. I might have 20" clearance from the countertops to the upper cabs if I mount these right to the ceiling.

One of the cabinets housed a double wall oven, so its junk to me. The rest would work great though. And its cheap! But how much would the countertop be? I might be better watching Kijiji for a full kitchen with counter. Not really ready for the basement kitchen yet either. Hmmm. Decisions.

Also the neighbour came over today. She offered her place for $169,900. I have too much on my plate right now. Not ready to take on #2 yet, and her floor plan makes a basement access tricky.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2016, 06:49:21 PM »
Also the neighbour came over today. She offered her place for $169,900. I have too much on my plate right now. Not ready to take on #2 yet, and her floor plan makes a basement access tricky.

Wasn't one plan to snag the neighbour's property then sell the double lot to a developer?  Bonus: you can stop worrying about inhaling bug poop.  (Also: this plan involves much less labour.  I am lazy energy conserving.)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
Yes, but the price is too high for what is there. Also the layout is a boner killer for duplexing.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2016, 01:13:07 AM »
if you got sanding blocks that fit on bernie's feet would they be... bernie sanders?

Terrible... :)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »
Offer her $150,000!  And don't duplex it.

Many years ago I sold my condo in Vancouver for $125,000 (yes, it was that many years ago!).  After the fact people asked what I would have taken for it-  "A piece of chicken" seemed about right.  I was a very motivated seller - your neighbour (or her kids) might be too.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »
Offer her $150,000!  And don't duplex it.

Many years ago I sold my condo in Vancouver for $125,000 (yes, it was that many years ago!).  After the fact people asked what I would have taken for it-  "A piece of chicken" seemed about right.  I was a very motivated seller - your neighbour (or her kids) might be too.

Not sure I can make it profitable even at that - I'd need to bring in around $1600/mo in rents, and on a 2br, that's a pipe dream. With the Trump uncertainty, I'm even less willing to take a gamble.

Anyways, I'm headed back up there now. Hoping to finish off this bathroom and get things moving.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »
Forgive me if you've already said, but what's your timeline for getting this place ready to rent? How are you going with meeting the deadline?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
Forgive me if you've already said, but what's your timeline for getting this place ready to rent? How are you going with meeting the deadline?

Aiming for the upper to be rent ready by New Years. Lower a month or so later.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2016, 01:29:01 AM »

Ambitious! I was terrible with plotting out how long it would take me to complete projects. Nothing ever went even remotely according to what I guessed; I'm sure you're much more skilled in this area than I.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2016, 04:12:49 AM »

Ambitious! I was terrible with plotting out how long it would take me to complete projects. Nothing ever went even remotely according to what I guessed; I'm sure you're much more skilled in this area than I.

I doubt it. I am already wondering how and if I can keep the schedule.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2016, 04:26:14 AM »

I doubt it. I am already wondering how and if I can keep the schedule.
you're a more senior engineer, yes? You just need some plebs to tell that you need xyz done by "unreasonable timeframe". They'll do it. Now, where to find some plebs...