Author Topic: The $700 Woodshop  (Read 2134 times)

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
The $700 Woodshop
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »
So I've been acquiring tools for my wood shop, which is currently outdoors, the tools covered with tarps when not in use.

80s Craftsman Radial Arm Saw: $75
80s Rockwell table saw: $50
70s Rockwell drill press: $300 (I overspent on this one)
Late model Craftsman Scroll Saw: $30
90s Delta Bandsaw: $100
50s Shopsmith combination tool (lathe, jointer, planer, spindle sander etc): $125. I know the Shopsmith isn't best for many things because it compromises to be vesatile. But still a great deal.
B&D Belt Sander: $10
B&D Power hand held planer: $20
80s Craftsman Router with bits: $25

I don't count my cordless DeWalt tools, they're used for projects around the house and general carpentry.

I've spent some bucks on lumber to build platforms for these tools, plus a table to go around the table saw. I just wanted to post this to show how many nice tools are available with a little shopping around on Craigslist and Facebook. And I'm confident that I could sell most of these tools for what I paid for them. It's actually nice to have inexpensively bought tools, I don't worry about abusing them a bit or theft (although a thief would break his back stealing some of these things. That good old American steel).

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The $700 Woodshop
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
Just thought I would add that some of my best tool purchases have been at estate auctions. One of my best buys was buying a pile of Jorgenson bar 24" bar clamps for a bid of $5 each. I got like 20 of them. New the retail for nearly $75 each. They should last a couple lifetimes.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »
Just thought I would add that some of my best tool purchases have been at estate auctions. One of my best buys was buying a pile of Jorgenson bar 24" bar clamps for a bid of $5 each. I got like 20 of them. New the retail for nearly $75 each. They should last a couple lifetimes.

Yes, I didn't mention the many smaller hand tools and such I've picked up too for cheap. Second hand woodworking tools are  a bit hard to come by in a Alaska, or else I would have went that route.

I'm on a mission to prove woodworking doesn't have to be expensive.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
I have been given a good collection of some basic power and hand tools. Just need need more house for furniture I can build! The only thing I can think to build now is maybe some book shelves.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »
Build a shop or shed ASAP.  You don't want your nice tools sitting outside in Alaska.  ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!