Author Topic: SUPER HYDROPHOBIC COATINGS  (Read 3409 times)

sirspiffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: SUPER HYDROPHOBIC COATINGS
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
I saw this last week and it looks way cool.

I feel like they've missed their market slightly though.  I would think industrial uses would trump selling it as Rustoleum on the aisles of Home Depot.  (For example: sell it by the barrel to pre-treat iPhones instead of advertising that you can treat an iPhone).

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »

I feel like they've missed their market slightly though.  I would think industrial uses would trump selling it as Rustoleum on the aisles of Home Depot.  (For example: sell it by the barrel to pre-treat iPhones instead of advertising that you can treat an iPhone).

Considering how magical the stuff is, I'm guessing that this is in the works.  Perhaps corporate deals like that are simply much harder to nail down, and the consumer launch is more to pay the bills for the time being?

Regardless, I am getting myself a can of this stuff someday to mess with...as soon as I decide on a suitable use that justifies $20...

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
It doesn't really work, and it will most likely ruin anything you use it on according to this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/07/neverwet_review_the_water_repelling_spray_is_no_miracle_product.html

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »
It doesn't really work, and it will most likely ruin anything you use it on according to this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/07/neverwet_review_the_water_repelling_spray_is_no_miracle_product.html

I'm not really surprised by what he says. I assumed that the creator video used greater than normal concentrations and layers of the stuff to get the somewhat miraculous results that they have. However, I would probably only use it for surfaces and wood anyway, so it still seems interesting to me. I never intended to put it on my phone or clothes :p (well, boots would have been nice.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
I considered using some if this as a shower tile sealant.  I'm not usually that paranoid, but I feel like this has got to be bad for your health.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
I considered using some if this as a shower tile sealant.  I'm not usually that paranoid, but I feel like this has got to be bad for your health.

...might also be slicker than snot.  (Hard to know without trying it.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!