Author Topic: Stupid carpentry question, don't want to outsource  (Read 10833 times)

Mactrader

• Stubble
Stupid carpentry question, don't want to outsource
« on: March 29, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
I have a rental property on the other side of town as I needed to move for a job promotion and the 90 minute commute wasn't sustainable. The house is under water, so that caused the wrinkle which forced me into landlordship. So I did my quarterly inspection the other day and the tenant pointed out that the handrail going down the stairs (it's a quad, so only for 6 steps) has come off the wall. He's tried re-positioning it around but there are no studs anywhere on the wall. It's straight dry-wall. How in the heck am I supposed to have a strong handrail (well, at least not hanging off) on drywall? I am quite weak on carpentry, and don't want to just outsource this. What can you guys recommend?

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Stupid carpentry question, don't want to outsource
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
I recommend removing a panel of sheetrock, putting in some studs, then redoing the sheetrock.  It's a day's work if you've never done it before.

Mactrader

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »
I recommend removing a panel of sheetrock, putting in some studs, then redoing the sheetrock.  It's a day's work if you've never done it before.

That's way more than I think I have an appetite for. While that is probably the right thing to do, these tenants want to purchase the home in 15 months, I'm hoping for something more... temporary?

Ben

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
If you're weak on carpentry, don't want to outsource, but don't have the time to do it yourself, you may have to get creative.

Perhaps offer the renter to cover materials and knock a little bit off of this month's rent if he comes up with a solution  himself (i.e. what Sol has suggested). If he plans on owning it soon, perhaps you are comfortable with him having a go at it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

That's way more than I think I have an appetite for. While that is probably the right thing to do, these tenants want to purchase the home in 15 months, I'm hoping for something more... temporary?

Once you've patched up the drywall, something like Ghostud would probably work.

Mactrader

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »

Once you've patched up the drywall, something like Ghostud would probably work.

Holy cow, that thing is sweet, and exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like once I install it, I screw the handrail into the flat piece that slips behind the wall? Very clever. Think I'll pick this up, thanks!

joshuatownsend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »
Ghostud looks neat, but I wonder if it would meet building code.  A stair fall with the railing giving out due to the 200/250lb capacity of these may put you into an uncomfortable liability situation and insurance may not kick in.

Are there any simple fixes - move the railing to the opposite side of the stairs where the wall does have studs maybe?

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »
I would look for other options, the first being seeing if the other side of the wall has studs like the post above suggested.  I find it really strange that there wouldn't be studs somewhere on one side or the other.  Are you looking with a good stud finder?  Are you sure there isn't something you can attach to at some point?  If there is really no stud at any point, then there probably isn't enough support to the sheetrock to use something like a Ghostud.  I've made my own "stud" in the wall just by cutting a larger hole, sliding in a chunk of 2X4, and patching that larger hole.  It would be as strong or stronger than the ghostud, but requires a bit of patching.

I also agree on asking the homeowner, but if they refuse it does come down to you.

Mactrader

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
I would look for other options, the first being seeing if the other side of the wall has studs like the post above suggested.  I find it really strange that there wouldn't be studs somewhere on one side or the other.  Are you looking with a good stud finder?  Are you sure there isn't something you can attach to at some point?  If there is really no stud at any point, then there probably isn't enough support to the sheetrock to use something like a Ghostud.  I've made my own "stud" in the wall just by cutting a larger hole, sliding in a chunk of 2X4, and patching that larger hole.  It would be as strong or stronger than the ghostud, but requires a bit of patching.

I also agree on asking the homeowner, but if they refuse it does come down to you.

I AM the homeowner! :) This is my rental house that had this issue. I sent my handyman over and he took care of it. The other side of the stairs is open as it is a six-step flight that opens to the kitchen. He verified that there weren't any studs there, and did something similar to what you described that he normally does in these situations. I do accept that there may be a liability here, and I'm starting to look at doing the 'proper' fix despite the cost. I appreciate all the feedback!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
I AM the homeowner! :)

Sorry sorry!!!  I meant "renter"...   :)

Glad you had someone to take care of it, how much did it cost you?  I've found sheetrock is pretty dang strong if you spread the load out over a nice area, I wouldn't worry too much about liability unless you think it was done with just expanding screws or something like that.  If the renter is purchasing then maybe just ask him if he is satisfied with the repair.  If he is then case closed.

Mactrader

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
I AM the homeowner! :)

Sorry sorry!!!  I meant "renter"...   :)

Glad you had someone to take care of it, how much did it cost you?  I've found sheetrock is pretty dang strong if you spread the load out over a nice area, I wouldn't worry too much about liability unless you think it was done with just expanding screws or something like that.  If the renter is purchasing then maybe just ask him if he is satisfied with the repair.  If he is then case closed.

My guy does great work for a very reasonable price, it only cost me $45 for him to put the 'faux-stud' in there and do a quick patch job. It still needs to be sanded and painted though. I plan to circle back around with the tenant, but in my opinion (and I'm sorry if this makes me sound like a slum-lord), if the tenant is calling me, I presume he's satisfied.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
My guy does great work for a very reasonable price, it only cost me $45 for him to put the 'faux-stud' in there and do a quick patch job. It still needs to be sanded and painted though. I plan to circle back around with the tenant, but in my opinion (and I'm sorry if this makes me sound like a slum-lord), if the tenant is calling me, I presume he's satisfied.

Good point, I can imagine how asking tenants too many questions could create more work and more requests than you want or need...  :)

ErikZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
You guys are over-thinking this. Remove the handrail. :-)

Mactrader

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »

Six stair flight doesn't need one??

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »

Based on the smiley I assume you aren't overly serious, but I think most code requires a handrail if more than 4 steps.  Given this is a rental, I'd stick with the handrail.