Author Topic: Squeaky Floors - under carpet  (Read 2240 times)

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
Squeaky Floors - under carpet
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:42:34 AM »
I don't believe I have posted in the DIY section before but I like to do just about anything myself.  I have done almost every project as it relates to home and automotive but I have a brown thumb - landscaping and gardening is not my thing. 

I live in a town house (which I hate) and we have a huge problem with squeaky floors under the carpet.  Since we are likely moving within the next 12 months I decided against pulling up all of the carpet and tried a different solution.  Not sure if anyone has tried this approach but it is sold by O'Berry's (https://smile.amazon.com/OBerry-Squeak-Additional-50-Screws/dp/B001NNXQ4U/ref=pd_sim_469_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=61zNtkieT2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR124%2C160_&refRID=G884SP0KHF5W9EG8WR59) and it worked very well.

You essentially are given a tool to help locate the joists under the floor - once you locate them you use this gapping tool that keeps the floor screws at a particular depth and then it has a tool for snapping the head off of the screw (below carpet level).

Although it took a little while to map out the joists in my house - it has stopped all of our squeaks.  Just wanted to share.

monkeyman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Squeaky Floors - under carpet
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »
Here's a video on how this system works from Ask This Old House: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUW-IhSMBc

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
It was that video that turned me on to the product....;)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
I love this! Anyone selling a used system? :-)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:33:56 PM »
We tried this on our stairs, but due to the way they're made, it made one step quieter, but several are now much worse.  Best we can figure, ours are routed stringer stairs (center stringer).  Tightening down the tread to the riser broke the glue joint on the side stringer.

So anyway, yeah, we have extras, but shipping would probably cost more than buying a new set. 

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:31 PM »
I had a contractor provide me an estimate for pulling up all the carpet in a hallway and replacing all the subfloor to attempt to fix a squeaky floor. I could simultaneously hear his mind being blown and his dreams of a fat payday breaking apart at the same time over the phone once I told him this was the appropriate repair for that issue.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!