Author Topic: speakers in a washroom  (Read 6776 times)

bandito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
speakers in a washroom
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
Does anyone here have an experience installing speakers in every room in their house.  I am renovating my washroom and would like to run speaker wires  before I close the wall. What kind of speakers should I use, should I use 1 speaker or more and where is the best place to locate them?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: speakers in a washroom
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »
Can I ask why you want/need speakers in a washroom? :o

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »
We need speakers in a washroom because music is the breath of life and it enhances long term happiness to have it with you every moment, especially while bathing.

bandito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »
I don't need music in my washroom.  I don't think that anyone does but it's nice to have and hopefully increase the value of my home when I plan to sell it.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
You might need heavier gauge wire if you're doing very long cable runs.  How far away is your amplifier?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
I would have voted for wireless except that the walls are already open.  Do you already have speakers throughout the house or will you also be buying a new amp, etc?

No specifics, but you probably want to use wall rated cables and possibly special speakers for high humidity environments.  You don't have to use special speakers, but they might need replacement sooner if they are damaged by the moisture. 

Music is great for example when taking a bath, but a cheaper solution is just a portable speaker setup.

bandito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
I have thought about the the options.  It just so happens that I have the walls open and would like to run the wires to a central location in the basement. With the walls open it also gives me a chance to do the two adjacent bedrooms also.  Wires and jacks are cheap therefore I would like to add this option in now. I am not necessarily looking to put speakers in at the moment but more have the rough in done so at least there will be places to connect speakers. 

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
You can always run some conduit to the bathroom location in anticipation of future speaker line fishing, which would allow you easier access later, but that may be overkill.  You can look into Marine Speakers, like they put on boats.  At one point I was contemplating getting some for my Jeeps, since I spent a fair bit of time topless/doorless.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
I have thought about the the options.  It just so happens that I have the walls open and would like to run the wires to a central location in the basement. With the walls open it also gives me a chance to do the two adjacent bedrooms also.  Wires and jacks are cheap therefore I would like to add this option in now. I am not necessarily looking to put speakers in at the moment but more have the rough in done so at least there will be places to connect speakers.

I say go for it but the details of your question are pretty personal.  Do you care about stereo?  How big is the bathroom, it's shape, etc.

For most bathrooms, I'd think a single speaker just about anywhere it won't get wet should be satisfactory.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
You can always run some conduit to the bathroom location in anticipation of future speaker line fishing, which would allow you easier access later, but that may be overkill.  You can look into Marine Speakers, like they put on boats.  At one point I was contemplating getting some for my Jeeps, since I spent a fair bit of time topless/doorless.

Even simpler/cheaper:  just run the wires and leave them behind the drywall.   I only have one room actually wired.  I currently only have a 5 channel stereo.   I wired for 7 channel and just left a big loop behind the drywall.   If you need them you can put a toner on the "master" end and punch a small hole where you find the wire.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
If you are going to this sort of trouble and also doing the adjacent bedrooms, have you considered putting Cat 5 (or similar) wiring in so that the wire socket can deliver any form of computer information, including music?  Not necessarily the moustachian option, but it would enable your whole-house system to work off the music stored on a central computer.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 01:54:57 AM »
If you are going to this sort of trouble and also doing the adjacent bedrooms, have you considered putting Cat 5 (or similar) wiring in so that the wire socket can deliver any form of computer information, including music?  Not necessarily the moustachian option, but it would enable your whole-house system to work off the music stored on a central computer.

Ah, I forgot about cat5.  If you can find some really cheap (Everyone knows you have to run cat6 now! Otherwise, the horror!) it may be best to just run 2~3 lines to each room, you don't have to hook all of them up, and you can just use a pair of strands for the speakers from a single cable... good call!

I just recently ran some coax and cat5 to a few places in my house.  My brother used to have a business doing websites and setting up networks for people about 10 years ago, and there was the cable end crimper, rj45 connectors, and two 'boxes' of cable just lying around.  I only bought the multi-port faceplates and the the coax/rj45 inserts for them. 

I actually didn't 'need' to use that ethernet cable, because I have another friend who also wired his house and had extra left over from his own 1000' spool and he was willing to sell it to me for half of what it cost him per foot (he considered it a sunk cost).  You may be able to find some around on craigslist.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 03:12:04 AM »
On the speaker end, you can go a few different ways quality and money wise, but I suggest checking out Crutchfield's outlet. Open box stuff at a discount and excellent service. not an affiliate or employee just a fan.

bandito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 06:09:09 AM »
I have decided to just run the plastic conduit to a box  with the face.  It's not really expensive and afterwards I want put speakers in or the next home owner can.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Going to check out Cruthfield's website later on today.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
There are obviously options for running wires, leaving the wires in the wall is a good option until you decide what kind of speaker you want to use.  There are speakers for installation into the wall much like a recessed can light fixture.  I have relatives with these and they sound good enough.

The conduit suggestion is a good one if you have the time and money.  You can use rigid plastic conduit or the blue flexible kind sold at the big box stores, which is what I used in my house.  I ran 12g wire but it's kind of overkill, and difficult to pull/push through.

If the washroom is more than say 10' in a given direction, then you would be able to appreciate stereo, so 2 speakers in opposite ends/corners.  Smaller than that and 1 speaker would probably suffice, but if run from a stereo signal only part of the music might be heard.

ctmustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
I put these in our bathroom in 2008 and have had 0 problems - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=4103&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is awesome for AV supplies, etc.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
Monoprice is awesome for AV supplies, etc.

+1 on monoprice.  The little fiddly bits that add up to an arm and a leg are way cheaper here.   Wall plates, keystone jacks, A/V, cables, ...