Author Topic: Shower head w/ crappy water pressure  (Read 2898 times)

Buttercup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Punching my student loan emergency in the face!
Shower head w/ crappy water pressure
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
I moved into my apartment about a month ago. The water pressure in the shower is really bad. Almost a drissle. I told my landlord about it and he brought in a plumber to fix it. Well the plumber didn't fix.....
The building was built in the 1930s and I'm pretty sure the plumbing/shower is original. I also live on the third floor that makes the pressure worse as well.
I tried to clean the shower head with vinegar and baking soda thinking it would help and it didn't really better the situation at all.

My question is....
Should I buy a low flow shower head and install it myself to see if that works out? Or try something else?

gonzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Shower head w/ crappy water pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
removing the shower head and running without it should answer that question.

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:22:08 PM »
What's the pressure like on the other fixtures?  Sinks?

Buttercup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Punching my student loan emergency in the face!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:55:58 AM »
The water pressure elsewhere is good. I just think a low flow shower head might take the minimal pressure I have and put it to good use.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »
Most low-flow shower heads use a rubber restrictor that can be removed, if that's the problem.  As suggested, try it without the head to see what the flow is like.  There might be a screened washer in there that's clogged, or some other restriction in the current head.

If none of that works, and the flow is not very good without the head, a low-flow head might work better.  A massage-type probably won't work if flow is the issue.