Author Topic: Should I pulll the carpet off my steps. . . today?  (Read 3998 times)

pipercat

• Bristles
Should I pulll the carpet off my steps. . . today?
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
This is a project that I've been wanting to tackle for awhile.  The steps to our second floor have carpeting that is old and gross.  I've pulled back a corner, and I know they are actual wood underneath (not pressed board or something else).  The steps appear to have a bull-nose front.  At least, I think that's what it's called.

The only thing potentially stopping me is that I am having dinner guests on Wednesday night.  I don't expect to have the project finished by then, but do you think I could at least remove the tacks, etc. and clean things up by then?

Any words of advice for this project?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Should I pulll the carpet off my steps. . . today?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
I will be wishywashy.

1. I would totally do it.  No, they won't look great, but you can get the carpet tack strips up.  I hate carpet and I love nicely finished hard surfaces: wood, concrete, tile, etc.

2. My wife would say don't do it.  I've done similar projects (with no warning to her) more than a few times.   She's come home to find things like the master bathroom entirely gutted and missing.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
I cant really advise on whether or not you'd be finished without knowing the size of the project or the speed/skill of the worker.
But I can share this:  if you put a short deadline on a job you are more likely to rush through and not do as well as you could.
Add just the general stress of having guests over...
Personally, I would wait.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »
We tore the ugly carpet runner off our stairs last winter:

http://www.frugalwoods.com/2014/04/19/how-to-refinish-a-staircase-for-under-50/

Conceptually it isn't bad.  There's not much skill involved (see: I did it!) but there's a lot of grunt work.

In our case, there were roughly 1 million staples holding down the pad and TWO layers of carpet.  Some of them came out with the carpet, but most needed to be pulled with a cats paw.  About 1/10 would break while pulling and would need extra attention.

Then, of course, you need to fill the 2 million holes left by the staples.

(OK, maybe not 1 million.  I actually counted the number of staples in one of the treads: 133.  What trigger happy troglodyte shoots more than 100/staples per tread!?)

Sanding was a chore, but we also don't have any power sanders so it was hand sanding galore!  Plus we were also painting the balusters, and those contours took tons of time.

Going from carpet to sanded, staple-less stairs took about 15 hours of work for 1.5 people (Mrs. FW helped).  So in your case it might be cutting it a little close depending on how much time you're willing to put into it before wednesday.

Don't hesitate to hit me up with questions.  It is certainly a worthwhile project, and the materials cost is tiny compared to the eventual visual impact.  Good luck!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
If the goal is just staples and tack strips up, you're golden. You'll want a small trim prybar to get the tack strips up. I used a vise grip to pull the staples.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »
If the goal is just staples and tack strips up, you're golden.

Exactly. If you don't mind your guests seeing the bare-but-not-yet-refinished wood instead of the nasty carpet, then go for it. Othewise, wait until after the dinner party.

AvisJinx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 08:16:40 AM »
Pipercat, have you tackled the job yet? How many steps do you have? I pulled up the carpet on a flight of 14 steps. It was almost an all day job removing the carpet and padding, pulling up the tack strips and staples, then cleaning the stairs which was actually the worst and most time consuming part of the job. In high traffic areas old carpet padding can deteriorate over time and leave behind a gummy residue that's a real pain rump to remove.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:18:39 AM by AvisJinx »

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »

Conceptually it isn't bad.  There's not much skill involved (see: I did it!) but there's a lot of grunt work.

In our case, there were roughly 1 million staples holding down the pad and TWO layers of carpet.  Some of them came out with the carpet, but most needed to be pulled with a cats paw.  About 1/10 would break while pulling and would need extra attention.

(OK, maybe not 1 million.  I actually counted the number of staples in one of the treads: 133.  What trigger happy troglodyte shoots more than 100/staples per tread!?)

Sanding was a chore, but we also don't have any power sanders so it was hand sanding galore!  Plus we were also painting the balusters, and those contours took tons of time.

Going from carpet to sanded, staple-less stairs took about 15 hours of work for 1.5 people (Mrs. FW helped).  So in your case it might be cutting it a little close depending on how much time you're willing to put into it before wednesday.

Don't hesitate to hit me up with questions.  It is certainly a worthwhile project, and the materials cost is tiny compared to the eventual visual impact.  Good luck!

i LOVE your blog!

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
No, I haven't. I decided there were more productive ways to do a little home improvement before having guests.  Like maybe cleaning the kitchen? I am going to do it next week, because I will still be on Christmas break, and I am chomping at the bit to get it done.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »

i LOVE your blog!
I've been enjoying it too. Thanks for sharing!