Author Topic: sausage making / kitchenaid --10lbs of chorizo  (Read 4782 times)

rhta5a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
sausage making / kitchenaid --10lbs of chorizo
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »

for sausage I followed: http://www.sausagemania.com/  it's one of the best names for a website....

Here's what I did with 69 cent pork shoulder:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:29:33 AM by inverse »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: sausage making / kitchenaid --10lbs of chorizo
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
have to try that myself.

Im portuguese and chourico in US, is non existant if you're not in a hispanic or portuguese area (NJ or Boston).

My groceries market carries a type of spanish chorizo that is not that good and is ridiculously expensive  - 1 little chorizo for 11 USD. I miss the good portuguese or spanish chourico for about 1-2 dollars each!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »
Following.

I have one of the old-time solid metal kitchen aid grinders, which my Mom bought in the 70s. None of the plastic grinders they sell today! I had to buy new blades for it (the old ones were gone), and I am still learning how to avoid getting the contraption plugged up. I think it helps to freeze the shoulder for an hour before running it through.  Any other tips for easier grinding?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
Cool !    I make sausage several times a year.   My go to recipe is an Italian sausage, but yours certainly looks good.

We butcher lots of wild game so have pretty good equipment.  I chunk up my meat in to approx. 1" cubes, then blend it with all of the spices in a big tub and stick it in the deep freezer to firm it up to near frozen, then run it trough the grinder with nozzle, directly into sausage casings.   No need for another special stuffing device, that just more stuff to wash up.

Only time I've had a problem with grinder plugging up is trying to run a tough old deer through my small grinder using the die with small holes for fine ground.   Use the bigger coarse ground die and you never have a problem.  Sharp blades help a bunch too.   

Get some help, pop a bottle or two of wine and and make and afternoon of it.
Fun hobby with some tasty benefits !

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
Following.

Every few months I pick a different kind of cuisine to try to become proficient at (note I think there's a difference between "proficient" and "master" - I don't claim to master anything after just a few dozen attempts, but I can usually become passable at it).
I think the next thing I will tackle will be sausage making.  Bonus, the fall hunting season is about to start and I'll have access to boar, elk, venison and moose soon.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »
I've done Italian sausage and breakfast sausage so far (and never bothered with casing). Chorizo sounds like a great idea!

(Also, congrats on the $0.69 pork shoulder -- that's a damn good deal.)

Im portuguese and chourico in US, is non existant if you're not in a hispanic or portuguese area (NJ or Boston).

My groceries market carries a type of spanish chorizo that is not that good and is ridiculously expensive  - 1 little chorizo for 11 USD. I miss the good portuguese or spanish chourico for about 1-2 dollars each!

Mexican chorizo is as cheap as any other pork sausage and easy to find here in Atlanta (it's almost always at Kroger, and even Aldi has it sometimes). Is Spanish chorizo or Portuguese chourico all that different? Do you have a recipe for the latter?

DoubleNickels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »
I've used a both a dedicated grinder as well as the grinder attachment on my wife's kitchen aid.  So far, the kitchen aid has been great for it.  Partially frozen is best. What I've done is used a frozen pork loin, take it out and leave it out for an hour or so, or in the fridge overnight.  It's best if it's still mostly frozen when you cut it up, but obviously enough to cut it up. The frozen part seems to help with the plugging up part.

The one hint that I learned from the kitchen aid instructions was rather than cutting the meat into 1" chunks, cut the meat into strips.   Cut the strips 1/2"- 3/4" wide, but they can be as long as your meat allows.  The strip seems to function better than chunks, as the grinder then works to pull the meat through. Chunks seem to require more pushing, particularly wider ones. 

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
I've done Italian sausage and breakfast sausage so far (and never bothered with casing). Chorizo sounds like a great idea!

well not here... between spanish and portuguese they are similar... but again the kind they sell here at my grocery is super expensive like 11 dollars for a small one... and even though flavor is ok... its very hard to chew on ...

Mexican chorizo is as cheap as any other pork sausage and easy to find here in Atlanta (it's almost always at Kroger, and even Aldi has it sometimes). Is Spanish chorizo or Portuguese chourico all that different? Do you have a recipe for the latter?

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »
I want to do this!  I have a kitchenaid but not the grinder attachment.  Might have to start searching yard sales/good will and if all else fails, Amazon!

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
you can/should also put the grinder attachment in the freezer for an hour before using it, since that'll help keep your meat ice cold.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 06:55:10 AM »
you can/should also put the grinder attachment in the freezer for an hour before using it, since that'll help keep your meat ice cold.
Good idea, will try this next time.

A little pointer for grinder clean up - After done grinding, run a couple slices of junk bread through your grinder.   This will help clean up a lot of the fat and make washing easier.
Biggest struggle for me is cleaning out all of the little holes in the die for fine ground meats.   

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 07:13:48 AM »

Spanish chorizo is quite different than Mexican chorizo.
The Spanish type is cured and often smoked.  Mexican chorizo that I see in stores is a fresh sausage.
Spices are different too, with vinegar added to the Mexican chorizo.

I make Mexican chorizo.  I don't make Spanish chorizo because of the longer curing and smoking times.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »
Good idea, will try this next time.

A little pointer for grinder clean up - After done grinding, run a couple slices of junk bread through your grinder.   This will help clean up a lot of the fat and make washing easier.
Biggest struggle for me is cleaning out all of the little holes in the die for fine ground meats.

I love all the tips and wisdom in this thread.  Definitely going to try making sausages this fall... starting with chorizo and keilbasa. It will give me another thing to use my homemade smoker for (I started with bacon and pastrami)
So excited!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
The Spanish type is cured and often smoked.  Mexican chorizo that I see in stores is a fresh sausage.

I make Mexican chorizo.  I don't make Spanish chorizo because of the longer curing and smoking times.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. It also makes me want to try Spanish chorizo...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. It also makes me want to try Spanish chorizo...

yes mexican chorizo is different.

Portuguese and Spanish are very somkey and cured like this:

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
We've never done cased sausage on the KitchenAid. But my husband makes his own sausage frequently - like patties for breakfast sandwiches

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
This thread inspired me to make some sausage.  I did texas style smoked sausage, from here: http://utpressnews.blogspot.com/2014/05/bbq-like-texas-legend.html

Came out great.  I froze most of it fresh, though I might thaw it and smoke it all and freeze it again for the winter.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 06:35:21 AM »
Looks good, nice work !

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!